The Student Room Group

Biochemistry and French degree without French A Level

I absolutely adore French, it is an amazing language and I loved GCSE French, and there was genuinely no good reason why I didn't take the A Level, except for the fact I was like "I ONLY WANT TO DO SCIENCE I DON'T WANT ANYTHING FLUFFY". I said, "Oh, I'll just carrying on learning french in my free time." Well, I am taking biology, chemistry, maths and physics, and I kinda wish I'd varied my subjects a bit more. Like there is only so far Duolingo takes you with French, and I wish I could study it at university, like I absolutely want to do French and Biochemistry, but I didn't take the A Level. Is there anyway around it? Or should I give up?
Original post by kw2000
I absolutely adore French, it is an amazing language and I loved GCSE French, and there was genuinely no good reason why I didn't take the A Level, except for the fact I was like "I ONLY WANT TO DO SCIENCE I DON'T WANT ANYTHING FLUFFY". I said, "Oh, I'll just carrying on learning french in my free time." Well, I am taking biology, chemistry, maths and physics, and I kinda wish I'd varied my subjects a bit more. Like there is only so far Duolingo takes you with French, and I wish I could study it at university, like I absolutely want to do French and Biochemistry, but I didn't take the A Level. Is there anyway around it? Or should I give up?

what grade did you get in gcse french? you might be able to study french as a beginner at university otherwise do a biochemistry degree and then take french modules as an extra.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
what grade did you get in gcse french? you might be able to study french as a beginner at university otherwise do a biochemistry degree and then take french modules as an extra.

i got an a*, i did fairly well actually, i got full marks in writing and only dropped 1 mark apparently in french reading
Check university entry requirements. They may require A-Level, or may only require AS - in which case you could drop one of your subjects going into Year 13, and take up AS French instead.
Original post by kw2000
i got an a*, i did fairly well actually, i got full marks in writing and only dropped 1 mark apparently in french reading

You'd have more options if you could perhaps do the As in a year, for example you could go to imperial with a B in As french https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/life-sciences-department/biochemistry-with-french-bsc/#entry-requirements
If not with your a* you could do a degree like this one that sheffield offers https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/biosciences/biochemistry-europe.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
Original post by kw2000

Have a look around - if you want to do a 50/50 French and Biochemistry split (I'm assuming that this combination actually exists - have you checked it does?) then I imagine most French courses would ask for an A Level in French, although as @claireestelle said, if you can find some Biochemistry + Beginners/Intermediate French combination that may be possible. Alternatively, try to find a course that has a good degree of flexibility and allows you to take French modules for credit. Absolute worst case scenario, even if you can't find this and have to do study straight Biochemistry, most universities have language centres that allow you to study a language at very reasonable prices.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending