The Student Room Group

opinions on the royal family?

Scroll to see replies

If they bring more money to the country by tourism then i wouldn’t mind.
I think we’d be hit hard if they went, I don’t think it’s understood just quite how much money the tourism brings in. As for the democracy thing, it’s something that troubles me too but I feel like although the monarch technically has a significant amount of power, they’re only really for show these days because they know they’re on thin ice and if they abused said power and did something the public didn’t agree with, we’d have them out straight away. This is what worries me about if and when Charles takes the throne. People hate him after his treatment of Diana and just his general attitude really and I think if he took the throne the monarchy would hang in the balance, but I don’t think he’ll just pass it on to Will and Kate, I really don’t see it playing out well. At the end of the day I live in London and I see the sheer volume of tourists and they’re mad for anything royal. Even when we take the tourism out of the equation, I hate to admit it because I think it has a lot of issues but I feel very attached to the monarchy as a British person and all the glamour, patriotism and grandeur is something I feel I would really miss if it went, it’s an ingrained part of our heritage and I don’t think it would be the same to visit royal palaces or read about royal history if it wasn’t still an active institution. I don’t know, it’s very hard to answer.
Original post by KirstyPlumb
I think we’d be hit hard if they went, I don’t think it’s understood just quite how much money the tourism brings in. As for the democracy thing, it’s something that troubles me too but I feel like although the monarch technically has a significant amount of power, they’re only really for show these days because they know they’re on thin ice and if they abused said power and did something the public didn’t agree with, we’d have them out straight away. This is what worries me about if and when Charles takes the throne. People hate him after his treatment of Diana and just his general attitude really and I think if he took the throne the monarchy would hang in the balance, but I don’t think he’ll just pass it on to Will and Kate, I really don’t see it playing out well. At the end of the day I live in London and I see the sheer volume of tourists and they’re mad for anything royal. Even when we take the tourism out of the equation, I hate to admit it because I think it has a lot of issues but I feel very attached to the monarchy as a British person and all the glamour, patriotism and grandeur is something I feel I would really miss if it went, it’s an ingrained part of our heritage and I don’t think it would be the same to visit royal palaces or read about royal history if it wasn’t still an active institution. I don’t know, it’s very hard to answer.

thank you for posting, it's really nice and refreshing to hear someone's opinions when they can see both benefits and problems :smile:
bunch of lazy chavs living off people's taxes
Original post by BeccaHeritage
I think that's true, do you think there's a difference in opinions between generations? I just had an argument with a friend's mum about it and she was so adamant they are essential to this country's success 😬

Yeah I think so, older generations are obsessed with the royal family and hold them to be something really special
My dudes they're actually pretty weak politically, the main "check" that they provide is the royal ascension which is the last part of passing a government bill. If they refused to do it parliament can remove the current monarch and go full republic, assuming they had the suppourt for it. However the monarch wouldn't refuse to give their metaphorical stamp of approval in the first place, Lizzy's all about protocol and all that. They're more of a cultural figure than a real political/governmental power.

Spoiler

Original post by BeccaHeritage
Can I ask why you personally think she is important?

She is the Queen of our country, that's really all that needs to be said.

The royal family are an integral part of British culture and history, I find it such a shame that so many people take no pride in that.
Original post by Amanzhol
She is the Queen of our country, that's really all that needs to be said.

The royal family are an integral part of British culture and history, I find it such a shame that so many people take no pride in that.

Each to their own, thank you for contributing :smile:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
bunch of lazy chavs living off people's taxes

You mean 'lazy' chavs who are god send to the tourism industry in the UK?
Original post by stoyfan
You mean 'lazy' chavs who are god send to the tourism industry in the UK?

No one comes to UK to see them.

They come to see Coldplay at Glastonbury.

And oh yea so hard to sit around getting paid to do nothing. If only the rest of UK got worshiped for that.
Reply 30
Guillotine.

Quick Reply

Latest