The Student Room Group

ABRSM Music Theory Grade 5 for beginners?

Hi!

So I'm taking Grade 8 Singing this summer but I also want to learn more about Music Theory, maybe even try to take a grade in it. I know most music schools want Grade 5 Music Theory so that is probably what I'd work towards, as I'm thinking of taking Vocal Studies at university. However, since my grade doesn't necessarily need me to read music, I don't know much about theory. As a beginner, how long will it take to gain a ABRSM Grade 5 in Music theory?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
in general each grade takes a year each. it can also be quicker or longer depending on how much time and effort you put in.
Reply 2
Original post by TheDevil
in general each grade takes a year each. it can also be quicker or longer depending on how much time and effort you put in.

Okay thanks for the reply!
Original post by lottyx
Hi!

So I'm taking Grade 8 Singing this summer but I also want to learn more about Music Theory, maybe even try to take a grade in it. I know most music schools want Grade 5 Music Theory so that is probably what I'd work towards, as I'm thinking of taking Vocal Studies at university. However, since my grade doesn't necessarily need me to read music, I don't know much about theory. As a beginner, how long will it take to gain a ABRSM Grade 5 in Music theory?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

If you work at it every week 1-2 years is enough. If you get the two theory books (part 1 and 2) and then get the ABRSM practice papers whichever grades you want. These books are all by Eric Taylor. You should be fine!

Here is the link to Part 1, which is on basics of music theory e.g. reading the different clefs. (you don't have to buy it off music room, ebay, amazon are all fine).
https://www.musicroom.com/product-detail/product11274/variant11274/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2snUBRDfARIsAIGfpqHMHxAqmnxNAK0h1V9hrCiaGgfkta2UrK6BpTfqSFMcYI0hGTk13l8aAoPZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I strongly recommend the ABRSM 'Music Theory in Practice' series. As a Grade 5 flautist who plays several other instruments to varying standards, it took me about 4 months to work from Grades 1-5. You'll likely find the first few books very easy. It's really accessible and ensures you won't have any gaps in learning- as previously mentioned, practice papers are also wonderful. The book mentioned in the last post, whilst concise, makes for rather dry reading.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGame314
I strongly recommend the ABRSM 'Music Theory in Practice' series. As a Grade 5 flautist who plays several other instruments to varying standards, it took me about 4 months to work from Grades 1-5. You'll likely find the first few books very easy. It's really accessible and ensures you won't have any gaps in learning- as previously mentioned, practice papers are also wonderful. The book mentioned in the last post, whilst concise, makes for rather dry reading.

Hi thank you for the advice, I just bought the Grade 1 book so should be on my way to learning theory soon!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lottyx
Hi thank you for the advice, I just bought the Grade 1 book so should be on my way to learning theory soon!

Good luck, if you are Grade 8 you should find Grade 1 a breeze.
I began straight at grade 5 theory and it took me a school academic year of a couple of hours a week to do it
Reply 8
Original post by Angel_Chen
Good luck, if you are Grade 8 you should find Grade 1 a breeze.

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
I began straight at grade 5 theory and it took me a school academic year of a couple of hours a week to do it

Ohh okay, thanks. I’ll probably try and aim to take my exam in year then!
I would suggest to use the following resources for theory:mymusictheory.comThis website has free online lessons/quizzes and additional pdf courses which I highly recommend. Also, there are video courses if you are having trouble learning just from the online and pdf courses. It is also in-line with the ABRSM and Trinity theory syllabus from Grades 1-8 so it fits your situation perfectly. Finally, they have a handy quiz that test what level you are at music theory according to the ABRSM and Trinity's sylabus and gives you corresponding lessons to study.Basics of Keyboard Theory, Levels P-10 These books, though they are not in line with the ABRSM or Trinity sylabus(they are for Certificate of Merit sylabus actually) they are very in-depth and cover a lot of topics for the ABRSM grade 5 exam. I would suggest you go through the first 5-6 books of this series before you take the exam and make sure to complete past papers and look at the online lessons on mymusictheory.com because there are some ABRSM topics that are not covered in this book.musictheory.netThis is not really much of a curriculum by itself but it can be a great supplemental resource and has lessons and exercises on certain topics such as intervals and key signatures. The downside is that the exam will be written so it will not be helpful to get used to the format of the exam.Overall, I think that you will be able to take the exam in a year with these resources.
Hey i study at a music conservatoire & for grade 5 theory there is so much online that you can look at if you have no previous knowledge of the theory required. It took me around 5-6 months to learn everything but if you are a beginner it might take a bit longer than that. I would ask your singing teacher to help you and maybe substitute some of your singing lessons for theory. Literally all music unis/conservatoires require grade 5 theory and you will use these skills a huge amount at uni.
This is my own experience of grade 5 theory. After I completed my grade 5 piano ABRSM I spent 4 months learning music theory from scratch. I was learning so much and flying through the books. I didn't pay much attention to all the words I needed to remember because I decided that in the time I had it was better to learn large sections rather than learning the 1 markers.

I was 11 at the time and in those 4 months I completed an many practise papers in all the grades and eventually I came out with a merit at grade 5 music theory.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Also which exam board did you do for singing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending