The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Why do people leave Open unis to go to Brick unis!!!

Scroll to see replies

If you are a native speaker of Spanish and want to teach it in UK schools then you would probably be better off studying French +/- German or another language commonly taught in schools and then doing a PGCE as being able to teach two languages is desirable. Doing just a Spanish degree when you are already a native speaker seems like a waste of money in my humble opinion.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by Phillip Banks
Every Russell group university accepts OU graduates onto post-grad courses. they carry similar weight, otherwise, why would your precious RGs accept peasants from other unis?

did you just read my comment and restate it to me, to make it seem like an original piece of work lol.
Reply 22
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Well when i graduate i will have 21,000 pounds debt, and have a Russell group degree which frankly i prefer. Further the relationships you build with your classmates could well be to your advantage, when i did my foundation course in London with my m8 last year we both decided to go to the uni we attend currently. We are friends for life, and i already have met some people i know i will keep in contact with. Lifes also about who you know, not just what you know.

Hey thanks very much for your opinions guys!
It did help me for now and I decided to stick with the A-levels for now but I will recommend this uni to my sister who just left college in the middle when she was my age.. maybe she can get something out of it...

Thanks agin for spending your time helping others is very appreciated.
I'm not here to start a war, so lets pass on the empirical evidence, the statistics arent worth coming out when we are discussing online degrees.

No, let's not pass on evidence. These things matter - you said something which might unduly influence the OP or other people reading this thread, please therefore explain why you think employers value graduates from Russell Group universities more than the OU? If you're not prepared, or more likely, simply unable, to provide supporting evidence then you really shouldn't post at all.
?
Once again lets critically analyze my statement a little closer,

I SAID its not impossible, but its not the best springboard name to put on a degree, none of which is untrue...

what people say....

OU SUCKS I GO TO A RUSSELL GROUP IM SUPERIOR....

Dont think that, my favorite lecturer actually did her first degree at OU before doing a master at a Russell and shes the loveliest brightest woman.

Shes also on an economic advisory board or something or the other :smile:

there are multiple paths was just giving my assessment.

Law is literally all about who you know. I could get a pupilage over a Russell group graduate with my degree purely because a very close family friend is a barrister who has offered in the past a pupilage to myself, and my siblings providing we have the qualifications.

The Russell group is slowly deteriorating. The people who bash the OU tend to be in the 16-18 demographic. Nobody can take them seriously.

"I SAID its not impossible, but its not the best springboard name to put on a degree, none of which is untrue..." - ??
did you just read my comment and restate it to me, to make it seem like an original piece of work lol.

I had not yet opened your comment.

What is Nottingham like btw?

I have been looking into the MA English that they offer.
Reply 26
Original post by trou_noir
If you are a native speaker of Spanish and want to teach it in UK schools then you would probably be better off studying French +/- German or another language commonly taught in schools and then doing a PGCE as being able to teach two languages is desirable. Doing just a Spanish degree when you are already a native speaker seems like a waste of money in my humble opinion.

Hmmm you are right in a way so what I think is that If I study two languages at the same time I wouldn't be able to teach in a school the 2 of them because language lessons take place at the same time....so I will join it with other subject like history or sociology...

Thanks for the advice 😁👌
Original post by Snufkin
No, let's not pass on evidence. These things matter - you said something which might unduly influence the OP or other people reading this thread, please therefore explain why you think employers value graduates from Russell Group universities more than the OU? If you're not prepared, or more likely, simply unable, to provide supporting evidence then you really shouldn't post at all.

Does the open University even have a career fair?

For example im doing a module lead by an employer right now as an extra curricular, giving me insight into the company culture the procedure and tips for an application.

Where are all these support avenues for open university students?

Do the OU students really have an inbox full of employee opportunities or ideas?

Maybe a careers and employability service their university just put xxxx pounds in to further graduate prospects?

Where they can book an appointment to have an academic review their CV?

A fancy transcript with a brand name school with a global QS and any other league table rankings, some in the top 100, lowest possible find around 160 globally out of how many universities?
Just to debunk any misconception for the OP.

Many people forget what a RG uni actually is: "The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivaled links with business and the public sector" - Wikipedia.

They tend to be the research leaders in certain fields, they give out 60% of the awarded doctorates in the UK and tend to have outstanding (4*) research ratings.

The OU's research ratings: http://www.open.ac.uk/research/ref

72% was assessed as world-leading or internationally excellent (4* or 3*)

ranking in the top third of UK universities using the Times Higher Education Power Score

The RG system has continually been attacked and questioned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group#'Elite'_status_questioned

"In a statement to the Higher Education Policy Institute, David Watson of the University of Oxford suggested that the Russell Group’s claim to represent 24 'leading universities' was "a real stretch". In the context of the Russell Group's reputation in the sector, he continued: "particularly dangerous, I think, is the bottom half of the Russell Group…The problem with the Russell Group is that it represents neither the sector as a whole [nor], in many cases, the best of the sector.” Performance in research intensity showed that there were dozens of other UK universities “above the bottom Russellers”

Tl;dr: It does not carry much weight anymore.
Original post by Phillip Banks
I had not yet opened your comment.

What is Nottingham like btw?

I have been looking into the MA English that they offer.

Its amazing :smile: slightly intense at times but that is to be expected. But obviously im heavily pro Nottingham, the pros are cost of living is ok, nightlife is fun, city is bearable. Nottingham has a very friendly vibe, havent truly met an outright mean person yet, which 6 months in is amazing.

Some cons, big classes, doesnt bother me i kind of like it...but some people need a more personal touch.

However not sure how it is at postgrad.

I do business, i have looked at some postgrad slides though from the business school, we can access everything in the business school from all years which is kind of cool. The masters slides are really fancy and im guessing in depth. Honestly dont understand much that is going on there, but i am a year one...so i guess that makes sense.

For example im doing a module lead by an employer right now as an extra curricular, giving me insight into the company culture the procedure and tips for an application.

Do the OU students really have an inbox full of employee opportunities or ideas?

Maybe a careers and employability service their university just put xxxx pounds in to further graduate prospects?

A fancy transcript with a brand name school with a global QS and any other league table rankings, some in the top 100, lowest possible find around 160 globally out of how many universities?

I don't know - I didn't finish my OU degree. Maybe @Persipan can tell us a bit more about what, if any, careers guidance the OU offers.

But to be clear, you didn't say Russell Group unis offer more guidance and opportunities to meet graduate employers, you said "[the OU] isn't as highly regarded as a Russell Group [university]" - and that is simply not true, and it's that which I'm asking you to explain.
Original post by kurt fiaz
Hmmm you are right in a way so what I think is that If I study two languages at the same time I wouldn't be able to teach in a school the 2 of them because language lessons take place at the same time....so I will join it with other subject like history or sociology...

Thanks for the advice 😁👌

Not necessarily! My French teacher at school was also my German teacher. Different years will have classes at different times. If you only have one language when you do a PGCE, you will be encouraged to train so that you can do another, so it’s to your advantage if you already know two
Reply 32
Okay phillip & realitysreflexxx you guys were here to discuss the point not each other and state who is superior because of which university you went to... you yourselves said that both of them are equally valid so STOP.
God!
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know - I didn't finish my OU degree. Maybe @Persipan can tell us a bit more about what, if any, careers guidance the OU offers.

But to be clear, you didn't say Russell Group unis offer more guidance and opportunities to meet graduate employers, you said "[the OU] isn't as highly regarded as a Russell Group [university]" - and that is simply not true, and it's that which I'm asking you to explain.

@Snufkin they do offer career fairs and advice. They also have fully functioning societies and employment schemes.
Reply 34

I'm not remotely concerned with defending the OU, or RG universities, or engaging in silly debates - but here are a few responses to your questions:

1) The Open University does have a careers service who do email regarding the events which take place and industry opportunities. Typically, these are forums in which students talk with invited guests from industries considered cognate with their studies. I couldn't tell you how useful OU students find these forums because I have no first-hand experience of them, but I suspect they are less useful than many careers services elsewhere, and more useful than some.

2) Academics are terrible people to have review your CV for a professional job. Academic CVs are entirely different to those you will want to use for other industries and educators in general tend to have very poorly organised and bloated CVs which wouldn't even be read by most employers - myself included. I understand the point you are trying to make, but having an academic look at your CV is only likely to be a good thing if you wish to also be an academic.

3) It is true that many employers highly value OU study, but it is also true that many also value brand names and will preference applicants from traditionally strong universities. In the vast majority of cases, employers couldn't care less either way though. It is a very fringe set of circumstances which lead to the university someone attended being a direct reason for them getting a job, though indirectly being able to take certain modules, do a year in industry etc. can certainly matter.

4) Some companies in some sectors do have 'target' universities and the OU isn't one. Nor are the vast majority of universities, several in the RG included.
Original post by kurt fiaz
Okay phillip & realitysreflexxx you guys were here to discuss the point not each other and state who is superior because of which university you went to... you yourselves said that both of them are equally valid so STOP.
God!

You asked the question, we answered it with a debate.

Is this a joke or are you teasing for responses that will smash you down?

Company culture? Spoken like a true person who has never had a job.

Tips for an application? Let me give you a tip, applications go through human resources, they dont understand anything technical. Its not rocket science, you match key words in a job advert into your CV.

I was on OU Physics. I still get spam emails about job opportunities from the OU careers person (forgot her name) - they're all good companies.

An academic review a CV? You do know most academics at universities have never had a real job? Student -> PhD -> Post-Doc -> Contractor -> Lecturer

I completed a MSc at a Russell group after my OU degree, they do run 'career fairs'. Career fairs are a joke. Companies send their graduates to hand out leaflets.

I'll say it again, no one cares where you get your degree after you have your first job. Its what you can do and what you know.

Enjoy your 50,000 debt. Opening up that first paycheck will give you a shock.

Edited - I just realised someone else ridiculed your points. Shoulda saved the energy in my fingers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

I'll be honest; I mostly ignore the careers stuff that pops up on my Student Home. But at a quick glance through it I'd say probably half the stuff there is careers related, and actually there's a pretty cool thing I might look at going to. I think, as with any uni, careers advice and support is there, but you have to engage with it.
Original post by Davidswift9

Tips for an application? Let me give you a tip, applications go through human resources, they dont understand anything technical. Its not rocket science, you match key words in a job advert into your CV.

I was on OU Physics. I still get spam emails about job opportunities from the OU careers person (forgot her name) - they're all good companies.

An academic review a CV? You do know most academics at universities have never had a real job?
Student -> PhD -> Post-Doc -> Contractor -> Lecturer

I completed a MSc at a Russell group after my OU degree, they do run 'career fairs'. Career fairs are a joke. They have graduates handing out leaflets.

I'll say it again, no one cares where you get your degree after you have your first job. Its what you can do and what you know.

Edited - I just realised someone else ridiculed your points. Shoulda saved the energy in my fingers.

I think your OU degree is a joke, you think my career fair is a joke,

we can all agree to disagree.

Yet I would have loved to see the day you had when you got that Russell group post grad offer, tell me you didnt think, finally my redemption?

If it didnt honestly matter, why didnt you do your masters at open university? why couldnt you just apply to a former polytechnic?

why did you have to seek out the prestige to make you feel better.
Original post by Davidswift9

An academic review a CV? You do know most academics at universities have never had a real job? Student -> PhD -> Post-Doc -> Contractor -> Lecturer

I completed a MSc at a Russell group after my OU degree, they do run 'career fairs'. Career fairs are a joke. Companies send their graduates to hand out leaflets.

Enjoy your 50,000 debt. Opening up that first paycheck will give you a shock.

ONCE again, im a self funded EU student who except for a 21,000 pound student finance loan for tuition is gonna come out pretty unscathed.

year one 9,250
year two got the grades to do my year abroad in beautiful malaysia :smile: 1,350
year 3 - back in the uk 9,250

Further im already a landlord i own property in germany, this degree is so that i can one day get a nice second income :smile:

Hopefully a nice fancy job in business after my masters in the netherlands that i will do, since my university is partnered with the University of Amsterdam through universitas 21

Which will then cost me a safe 2,200 euro for a master

Education cost = 23,000k

I've already done it better then most in the developed world thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest