The Student Room Group

Equity and trust coursework HELP!!! URGENT

i cannot find anything about the name change can anyone help this is the question... Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields
What?
Reply 2
Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields & May. However, Ciara never forgot her humble roots nor her time as one of the first graduating law students at the University of Huddsford which was established in 1992. She regularly visited the university and assisted in the provision of funded work placements to its students. Grateful for all her help and assistance, and in recognition of all her achievements and distinguished career, the university provided an academic prize for the student with the highest mark in equity and trusts (The O’Connor prize). The university has however recently been through some difficult times and three years ago, it merged with the University of Bradfield to become the University of West Yorkshire.

Last year Ciara made a new will leaving specific gifts to family and friends. She also left the residue of the estate on trust to her named executors to apply “in their absolute discretion for the benefit of the graduates of the University of Huddsford and their relatives living at the time of my death”.

Ciara’s health condition deteriorated badly six months ago and she sadly died last week. The will is valid but the executors named on the will have contacted you for your advice on the legal position relating to the residue of Ciara’s estate.

Discussing and critically analysing the legal position and academic opinion surrounding this area of law, please advise the executors of the position.
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
What?

i cant find anything relevant to the uni name change...

Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields & May. However, Ciara never forgot her humble roots nor her time as one of the first graduating law students at the University of Huddsford which was established in 1992. She regularly visited the university and assisted in the provision of funded work placements to its students. Grateful for all her help and assistance, and in recognition of all her achievements and distinguished career, the university provided an academic prize for the student with the highest mark in equity and trusts (The O’Connor prize). The university has however recently been through some difficult times and three years ago, it merged with the University of Bradfield to become the University of West Yorkshire.

Last year Ciara made a new will leaving specific gifts to family and friends. She also left the residue of the estate on trust to her named executors to apply “in their absolute discretion for the benefit of the graduates of the University of Huddsford and their relatives living at the time of my death”.

Ciara’s health condition deteriorated badly six months ago and she sadly died last week. The will is valid but the executors named on the will have contacted you for your advice on the legal position relating to the residue of Ciara’s estate.

Discussing and critically analysing the legal position and academic opinion surrounding this area of law, please advise the executors of the position.
When stuff like this comes up, I wonder why I try to answer PQs on this website. The level of stupidity is unbelievable.
Reply 5
? any help please?
Reply 6
again this is no help??
Original post by l.hutch.p
again this is no help??

The name does not mean anything. It is a fake name that anyone half familiar with legal careers would realise is a joining of Clifford Chance and Freshfields. Both very famous individual firms.

As for your PQ, read your textbooks. Form a basic understanding of the law, as you're paying for a degree which expects you to have a basic understanding of the law and expects you to be able to apply your basic understanding of the law to basic scenarios. It is no use at all anyone on here trying to answer your PQ for you. It is yours; do it yourself. If you have any complex areas you should like to talk to other law students about, then we are here to do that. However, "here's my PQ scenario, what do I do" hardly qualifies as a dialogue.
Reply 8
The name does not mean anything. It is a fake name that anyone half familiar with legal careers would realise is a joining of Clifford Chance and Freshfields. Both very famous individual firms.

As for your PQ, read your textbooks. Form a basic understanding of the law, as you're paying for a degree which expects you to have a basic understanding of the law and expects you to be able to apply your basic understanding of the law to basic scenarios. It is no use at all anyone on here trying to answer your PQ for you. It is yours; do it yourself. If you have any complex areas you should like to talk to other law students about, then we are here to do that. However, "here's my PQ scenario, what do I do" hardly qualifies as a dialogue.

im talking about the uni changing names not the fake law firm....
Original post by l.hutch.p
im talking about the uni changing names not the fake law firm....

You mentioned in OP the fake law firm and there being a name change. We were supposed to know you were in fact talking about the uni's name change which you mentioned in post 3. Sorry, you didn't mention; you dumped it in post 3 and expected us to make sense of it.

Again, the advice is deal with your PQ yourself until you need dialogue with other law students on here. When you're able to have a dialogue, you should return. But this is all very basic stuff which can solved by you with very basic reading. Very basic reading you're at uni to do.
Reply 10
You mentioned in OP the fake law firm and there being a name change. We were supposed to know you were in fact talking about the uni's name change which you mentioned in post 3. Sorry, you didn't mention; you dumped it in post 3 and expected us to make sense of it.

Again, the advice is deal with your PQ yourself until you need dialogue with other law students on here. When you're able to have a dialogue, you should return. But this is all very basic stuff which can solved by you with very basic reading. Very basic reading you're at uni to do.

i have only just joined this site and didnt really know how to work it
i have done reading, this is why ive posted the question..... because i cannot find anything
Well I know one that had the word salmon in it...

They were giving people pink squishy fish...
Totally a different question but
So we have a question on the three certainties and I am a bit confused on how to answer the question
Below is the scenario:
Lucy is a wealthy Scottish business women and. A former ceo of toms holding , died last year . Within her will she set out the following instructions :
1-“ I leave my residuary estate to James in hope that it will not go to waste : he shall distribute it equally between my four grandchildren. In the meantime , James may pay a reasonable income to any persons sharing the name Lucy , who were born in London.”
2- “I leave 350,000 on trust to be shared however my trustee thinks suitable between the most valued customer of Tom holdings . Any dispute as to who is a most valued customer will be resolved by my friend and former business partner Amelia .”
Please help !!!
Original post by Law101help
Totally a different question but
So we have a question on the three certainties and I am a bit confused on how to answer the question
Below is the scenario:
Lucy is a wealthy Scottish business women and. A former ceo of toms holding , died last year . Within her will she set out the following instructions :
1-“ I leave my residuary estate to James in hope that it will not go to waste : he shall distribute it equally between my four grandchildren. In the meantime , James may pay a reasonable income to any persons sharing the name Lucy , who were born in London.”
2- “I leave 350,000 on trust to be shared however my trustee thinks suitable between the most valued customer of Tom holdings . Any dispute as to who is a most valued customer will be resolved by my friend and former business partner Amelia .”
Please help !!!

Please start a thread in the Law Study Help forum to ask this question

Latest

Trending

Trending