The Student Room Group

Am I able to get a job at 14?

I want to start earning money for myself because
1. Waiting for pocket money is quite boring
2. I want to be independent so I can earn money for myself and also give some to my parents.

Are there any places or things I can do? Is 14 too young?

Scroll to see replies

Paper round or dog walking could be possible? Some shops may hire at 14 but most wont till 16 because of insurance purposes
Original post by Anonman7
Paper round or dog walking could be possible? Some shops may hire at 14 but most wont till 16 because of insurance purposes

I had the same problem getting a job when I was 14
Reply 3

My friend does a paper round. I'm not sure how to get a job like that and I heard it's really tiring but I don't mind because he told me it has good pay/week.
Original post by Anonymous
My friend does a paper round. I'm not sure how to get a job like that and I heard it's really tiring but I don't mind because he told me it has good pay/week.

You can just go in to your local corner shop, most will do rounds and so you can ask them if they have any going. I did a morning round from age 13-16 and I quite enjoyed it.
Reply 5
You can just go in to your local corner shop, most will do rounds and so you can ask them if they have any going. I did a morning round from age 13-16 and I quite enjoyed it.

What age are you now and what time did you start and finish? Also, what was the pay per week? Sorry for all the questions
Reply 6
Original post by Durham Jaide
I had the same problem getting a job when I was 14

Did you eventually find one?
No well I have been doing investing in children and I get a bit of cash from that but I have recently applied for charity work
I want to start earning money for myself because
1. Waiting for pocket money is quite boring
2. I want to be independent so I can earn money for myself and also give some to my parents.

Are there any places or things I can do? Is 14 too young?

You can get a paper round.
If there are any paper shops in your area then go and see them (or speak to anyone you know who has one to see where/how they got theirs).
Other than that its just babysitting, dog walking, gardening etc.
Some local cafes may hire you. Otherwise it's babysitting, dog walking, paper rounds or helping elderly neighbours doing chores or something. Ideally you need to be 16 and have your NI number. No big retailers or anything would take you.
Buy some sweets from a wholesaler and sell them in school

That mark up makes you mad profit
At your age, it's possible to get a part-time job. The job depends on how much pay or experience you want to get out of it. An enjoyable one usually works also.
When I was 14 I got a job at a local cafe, started as a dish washer, and I'm currently a waitress. Some places will hire at 14 but just depends on insurance.
Original post by Emma:-)
You can get a paper round.
If there are any paper shops in your area then go and see them (or speak to anyone you know who has one to see where/how they got theirs).
Other than that its just babysitting, dog walking, gardening etc.
I asked my mom if I could get a paper round job and she said no because she thinks people will rape me lol. I'll try persuade her later because I need to find more info about it but other than that, I don't know how to get dog walking jobs.
Original post by joboroto
When I was 14 I got a job at a local cafe, started as a dish washer, and I'm currently a waitress. Some places will hire at 14 but just depends on insurance.
What was the cafe called and what days (and how long) did you work? Also what was the hourly pay? Sorry for all the Qs I'm just eager to get a job.
Original post by _Eleven_
At your age, it's possible to get a part-time job. The job depends on how much pay or experience you want to get out of it. An enjoyable one usually works also.
I don't know any part time jobs. Any ideas?
Reply 16
It's quite hard unless you find a paper round or maybe a cafe like others have said.

This doesn't help with money for now but if you really want to be independent as soon as possible I'd suggest starting looking now for work experience, get as much as possible from placements, family friends and try volunteering in charity shops etc. Then as soon as you're 16 and can apply for more places you'll have the experience and confidence to get a job right away.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Some local cafes may hire you. Otherwise it's babysitting, dog walking, paper rounds or helping elderly neighbours doing chores or something. Ideally you need to be 16 and have your NI number. No big retailers or anything would take you.
Do they cafes pay
well? I wouldn't mind like £4/hour for like maybe 8 hours of work or something. I'm not even sure if any will hire me and I'd only be able to do cafe jobs on maybe friday, saturday and sunday.
Reply 18
Do they cafes pay
well? I wouldn't mind like £4/hour for like maybe 8 hours of work or something. I'm not even sure if any will hire me and I'd only be able to do cafe jobs on maybe friday, saturday and sunday.

There's no harm in asking! Some safes might pay you just to do washing up etc but you'll have to just go round asking unless you know anyone who runs one.

There's no guarantee what they'll pay though, you aren't entitled to minimum wage (£4.05 I think) until you're 16 so it might vary.
Do they cafes pay

I got £5 when I was starting out, now It's about £6.70. I only work every sunday. Depends on the kind of job cafes are hiring for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending