The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EpicBrum
The ulterior motive could be many reasons. It all depends on where contact was made.

Online is worse than in the flesh.

If a woman contacts a man first on a dating site or social media I can almost guarantee the profile will be fake. Chances are they want your money in one way or another. Possibly to view a webcam show or just a straight up romance scam.

In the flesh the above can still apply but it's less likely. They could be making a move because they sleep around. While that's their prerogative, it's not what I would want. I've even seen women do this to get back at an ex in some sort of twisted logic.

Not an exhaustive list, just examples.

Again, we're harping back to the 1950s here. Women earn just as much as men, often more.

I mean, I don't agree with anything you say here, to be quite frank, I think it's absolute rubbish and not only that but also disrespectful. Our viewpoints are so diametrically opposed there's no point even entering into a discussion.

It tires me when people on this thread talk about women as though they're not rounded human beings and reduce people to bizarre stereotypes they somehow seem to have formed. Get out and meet more people is what I would say.
(edited 6 years ago)
Wage gap is a myth
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Axiomasher
If you mean the foetus to be terminated. Yes.

Glad we have that covered.
Original post by littleone123
Again, we're harping back to the 1950s here. Women earn just as much as men, often more.

I mean, I don't agree with anything you say here, to be quite frank, I think it's absolute rubbish and not only that but also disrespectful. Our viewpoints are so diametrically opposed there's no point even entering into a discussion.

It tires me when people on this thread talk about women as though they're not rounded human beings and reduce people to bizarre stereotypes they somehow seem to have formed. Get out and meet more people is what I would say.

I'm not sure what women earning as much as men has to do with anything.

The 'female' profiles making first contact with men are most probably men themselves.

But if you believe they are all legit then that's fair enough. Maybe one day you will be contacted by a Nigerian Princess who wants to share their millions with you.

Enjoy the wealth.
I would pay a girl to date me.
Original post by EqualitySloth
But those woman were alive, it all depends on when you think a foetus is ‘alive’

You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.

It also works for plants.
Original post by cat_mac
It also works for plants.

At what time do you think it is okay to murder an unborn child? 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 24 weeks or 36 weeks?
Original post by Wired_1800
At what time do you think it is okay to murder an unborn child? 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 24 weeks or 36 weeks?

1) I don’t consider abortion murder, as I don’t believe a foetus has the same value of life as a baby that has been born, and it certainly doesn’t have a right to life over it’s mother.
2) any time before 24 weeks, as after 24 weeks the baby would have a good chance of surviving on its own. I don’t see the point in having an abortion when they’re already far enough in to have considered it already, but it depends on the reasoning. If medically the pregnancy is a danger to the mother, or emotionally it’s harming her mental health and wellbeing, I would consider it okay to have the abortion.

While the ‘baby’ is in the mother’s body, I consider her life more important. If she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore, I don’t consider it immoral to have an abortion. Once the baby is born, it’s an individual. It can survive without it’s mother, and the decisions about the baby are no longer decisions about the mothers own body.
Original post by EpicBrum
All of what you say is true, but it does show that there is a lot of negativity attached to women making moves on men.

If I am in a night club and a woman hits on me, I'm not gonna lie, my immediate thought will be "wow, she must be easy". As I say, this is for the simple fact that women don't need to go after men, so for her to come up to me I immediately assume it's something she must do all the time.

Whether it's fine for someone to sleep around or not is a different story, but that is my initial thought and it would take a lot to change it. So if the woman happens to be genuine then it makes it harder for her and that's a shame, it really shouldn't be like that.

I'm not single any more, but if I was, I would love it if society would allow for women to make moves on men, because I for one don't like doing it.
I think re-assuring the man is the best way to do it. Make sure your intentions are good (no ulterior motive, assure him that you're not trying to mess him around) and say something like "you probably think I'm easy if I'm approaching you, but I only approach the few guys I'm really attracted to, and you are one of them". To assure him that you're not easy.

I understand if a shy girl won't approach men. But there are so many loud, confident girls I see around. They could quite easily approach a guy.

And if a girl is attracted to a particular guy, is she seriously just going to sit and wait forever till he makes a move? I can just imagine girls thinking "oh if only I apply my makeup slightly differently, give off all these obscure signals which are impossible to spot, maybe he will eventually notice me over all the other girls and ask me out". Or she could just do the common sense thing - walk up and talk to him. :lol:
Original post by cat_mac
1) I don’t consider abortion murder, as I don’t believe a foetus has the same value of life as a baby that has been born, and it certainly doesn’t have a right to life over it’s mother.
2) any time before 24 weeks, as after 24 weeks the baby would have a good chance of surviving on its own. I don’t see the point in having an abortion when they’re already far enough in to have considered it already, but it depends on the reasoning. If medically the pregnancy is a danger to the mother, or emotionally it’s harming her mental health and wellbeing, I would consider it okay to have the abortion.

While the ‘baby’ is in the mother’s body, I consider her life more important. If she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore, I don’t consider it immoral to have an abortion. Once the baby is born, it’s an individual. It can survive without it’s mother, and the decisions about the baby are no longer decisions about the mothers own body.

Ok, thanks for your points.
Original post by Ali Husain
Maybe?

Maybe to which question? The killing unborn children or killing all black people?
Original post by snowman77
I think re-assuring the man is the best way to do it. Make sure your intentions are good (no ulterior motive, assure him that you're not trying to mess him around) and say something like "you probably think I'm easy if I'm approaching you, but I only approach the few guys I'm really attracted to, and you are one of them". To assure him that you're not easy.

I understand if a shy girl won't approach men. But there are so many loud, confident girls I see around. They could quite easily approach a guy.

And if a girl is attracted to a particular guy, is she seriously just going to sit and wait forever till he makes a move? I can just imagine girls thinking "oh if only I apply my makeup slightly differently, give off all these obscure signals which are impossible to spot, maybe he will eventually notice me over all the other girls and ask me out". Or she could just do the common sense thing - walk up and talk to him. :lol:

Absolutely agree with all your points.

The fact that a woman may have to throw in the disclaimer that she's not easy is disgusting. And I feel disgusted that my first thought is that she might be easy. I don't want to have that thought.

When I was younger and an idiot I was glad that there were women like this about. Made my life easier. I've grown out of that now and would never have a one night stand.

Although having said all that. It's quite similar the opposite way around anyway. A man will approach a woman and she may think he's just after one thing.
Original post by snowman77
How confident are you at life in general? Are you confident enough to do things like ask for directions, speak to a shop assistant for help, order something over the phone? If so, there's nothing stopping you asking a guy out.

Gender equality means equality in everything, after all.

I don't care about rejection it's part of life.
Is it too much a requirement to want a man thats not afraid to ask out women?
Simple. I agree with Katie Hopkins, feminists don't want equality, they already have it, they want special treatment
Original post by loveleest
I don't care about rejection it's part of life.
Is it too much a requirement to want a man thats not afraid to ask out women?

That is the issue, many men appear confident and are not. Because men are required to do certain things, they just try to do it.

In dating, men and women should not take archiac roles. The man should not be the “man” and do all the hard work. If so, then the woman could be required to do the same and shut up plus stay in the kitchen.

I think if a woman likes a guy, she should walk up and introduce herself. Some women have ways to getting closer to their crushes. Rather than the hints that require supernatural powers for men to know that women like them.
Original post by Wired_1800
That is the issue, many men appear confident and are not. Because men are required to do certain things, they just try to do it.

In dating, men and women should not take archiac roles. The man should not be the “man” and do all the hard work. If so, then the woman could be required to do the same and shut up plus stay in the kitchen.

I think if a woman likes a guy, she should walk up and introduce herself. Some women have ways to getting closer to their crushes. Rather than the hints that require supernatural powers for men to know that women like them.

No, I just can't get myself ask out guy. I might make the first move when I am v desperate..(which is never)
It has nothing to do with shyness- I am okay with talking to strangers.
Rejection is completely fine with me and I will not be every guys cup of tea and that's cool. What if the guy is taken and says nothing?
Asking a girl out is not hard "work". Women give birth and period pains but asking a women out is "hard"...right ok
I find it hilarious when a girl demands that a guy to ask her out, it's all off a sudden controversial, but a guy is allowed to demand a women that has slept with nothing more than 5 people.
(edited 6 years ago)
wow u are actually quoting her....

Original post by SpursMan
Simple. I agree with Katie Hopkins, feminists don't want equality, they already have it, they want special treatment
Original post by loveleest
No, I just can't get myself ask out guy. I might make the first move when I am v desperate..(which is never)
It has nothing to do with shyness- I am okay with talking to strangers.
Rejection is completely fine with me and I will not be every guys cup of tea and that's cool. What if the guy is taken and says nothing?
Asking a girl out is not hard "work". Women give birth and period pains but asking a women out is "hard"...right ok
I find it hilarious when a girl demands that a guy to ask her out, it's all off a sudden controversial, but a guy is allowed to demand a women that has slept with nothing more than 5 people.

You say you are completely fine with rejection yet you never and will never put yourself in a position to be rejected....
Original post by ANM775
You say you are completely fine with rejection yet you never and will never put yourself in a position to be rejected....

I am completely fine with rejection, absolutely. I have experienced different kinds of rejections that are just the same or even worse than ones based in dating.

And that is completely false. A lot of women get rejected although it may not be directly as a no at first.
For example, you could show interest in a guy, then later find out that he is trying to sleep with you when you are interesting in dating. You want to take it further and take it to marriage, whilst all he wants is a fwb situation. That is also a form of rejection.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending