The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Why do people leave Open unis to go to Brick unis!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperCat007
No empirical evidence, just anecdotal here and not really helpful for the OP who must be fed up with notifications on a thread where they're getting no advice about their question. (I'd agree with others and do a combined languages degree, why do a degree in your native language?, don't worry about timetabling, the school can worry about that when they hire a trilingual teacher.)

But on the subject of OU vs non-OU/RG. I work in the biology sector. I have hired quite a few people and interviewed god only knows how many more and I can tell you I would much rather spend my time talking to and teaching an ex-OU student than an ex-RG student. Why?? Well... (this is a sweeping generalisation, but the majority I have met fall into the below)

1. Many ex-RG or even ex-traditional uni grads have the attitude that has been shown on this thread. That they are somehow entitled to not only the entry-level job on offer, but career progression, higher pay, more responsibility without showing any ability or experience of managing these things in their uni life or other jobs.

2. There is an expectation that I should be impressed with their 2:1 and 65% average (I'm not!) from their RG uni which they achieved whilst being fully funded and having a wonderful time.

3. There is a real arrogance about what they know, what they should be expected to do and a feeling of upset and insult that I won't allow them to jump straight into the technical stuff.

4. A real bitterness that someone else has done better than they have, or someone from a 'lesser' background has progressed more. Rather than observing, asking questions and learning there is often a feeling that they could do it better without ever coming up with solutions to problems or even completing their task very well.

OU graduates? Generally humble, genuinely passionate about applying for what they do, often grateful you even consider them and more than happy to 'pay their dues' doing the menial stuff whilst learning their new role. A capacity to go away and find out information if they don't know it.

Ok OU graduates don't get the same hands on experience which can be a pain when you realise you have to teach them basic basics but wow are they happy to learn and take it all on board.

Fast forward a couple of years once the new graduates have had their crash landing back to earth with the rest of us and nobody cares where you went to uni or what grade you got. They want to know what your experience is, how you fit the job on offer and evidence of the things you write on your CV.

Sounds like your making some sweeping claims here,

firstly even if you were so lucky to in a position to hire anyone, the chances of you actually having done a case study on russell group grads vs ou grads is highly unlikely. Your just chatting absolute non sense.

Your actually dragging OU grads down claiming they dont have basic skills.

All this is heresay?

you speak of empirical evidence yet didnt submit a shard yourself.

employers have spoken, top unis pump out better talent. And how wouldnt they? Far higher entry requirements and resources.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
(Original post by SuperCat007)
No empirical evidence, just anecdotal (1) here and not really helpful for the OP who must be fed up with notifications on a thread where they're getting no advice about their question. (I'd agree with others and do a combined languages degree, why do a degree in your native language?, don't worry about timetabling, the school can worry about that when they hire a trilingual teacher.)

But on the subject of OU vs non-OU/RG. I work in the biology sector. I have hired quite a few people and interviewed god only knows how many more and I can tell you I would much rather spend my time talking to and teaching an ex-OU student than an ex-RG student. Why?? Well... (this is a sweeping generalisation, but the majority I have met fall into the below) (2)

1. Many ex-RG or even ex-traditional uni grads have the attitude that has been shown on this thread. That they are somehow entitled to not only the entry-level job on offer, but career progression, higher pay, more responsibility without showing any ability or experience of managing these things in their uni life or other jobs.

2. There is an expectation that I should be impressed with their 2:1 and 65% average (I'm not!) from their RG uni which they achieved whilst being fully funded and having a wonderful time.

3. There is a real arrogance about what they know, what they should be expected to do and a feeling of upset and insult that I won't allow them to jump straight into the technical stuff.

4. A real bitterness that someone else has done better than they have, or someone from a 'lesser' background has progressed more. Rather than observing, asking questions and learning there is often a feeling that they could do it better without ever coming up with solutions to problems or even completing their task very well.

OU graduates? Generally humble, genuinely passionate about applying for what they do, often grateful you even consider them and more than happy to 'pay their dues' doing the menial stuff whilst learning their new role. A capacity to go away and find out information if they don't know it.

Ok OU graduates don't get the same hands on experience which can be a pain when you realise you have to teach them basic basics but wow are they happy to learn and take it all on board.

Fast forward a couple of years once the new graduates have had their crash landing back to earth with the rest of us and nobody cares where you went to uni or what grade you got. They want to know what your experience is, how you fit the job on offer and evidence of the things you write on your CV.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Sounds like your making some sweeping claims here,

firstly even if you were so lucky to in a position to hire anyone, the chances of you actually having done a case study on russell group grads vs ou grads is highly unlikely. Your just chatting absolute non sense.

Your actually dragging OU grads down claiming they dont have basic skills.

All this is heresay? Yes, see bold statement 2 in my original post above.

you speak of empirical evidence yet didnt submit a shard yourself. Yes, see bold statement 1 in my original post.

employers have spoken, top unis pump out better talent. And how wouldnt they? Far higher entry requirements and resources.

Amazing. Showing a beautiful lack of ability to read or understand and purely going on the defensive much like my post suggested. See in bold. I'm not really sure why you're so offended anyway. You seem more uptight and defensive about your 'prestigious' ivory tower than anybody with experience studying and graduating with the OU. Funny that... I'm out.

Just to point out the part about 'dragging OU graduates down'. In a sense yes, because the current science pathway offers no hands on practical experience in any discipline so in that respect OU grads are at a significant disadvantage compared to their 'traditional' peers. That is the OU's failing, not theirs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 82
employers have spoken

Indeed. 80% of FTSE100 companies *sponsor* employees through OU courses.

Who do you consider to be a "top employer"? Specifically?
Original post by Doonesbury
Indeed. 80% of FTSE100 companies *sponsor* employees through OU courses.

Who do you consider to be a "top employer"? Specifically?

evidence to back this claim?

Cause im genuinely interested, but know you've made this up....
Reply 84
evidence to back this claim?

Cause im genuinely interested, but know you've made this up....

You should know me better than to make things up. That skill sits elsewhere.

http://www.open.ac.uk/about/main/strategy-and-policies/strategy/partnerships#
"More than 30,000 UK employers, including 80% of FTSE 100 companies, have sponsored staff on OU programmes"

Still waiting for examples of your "top companies" and a comment regarding Engineering earnings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 85
That moment isn't far away...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should know me better than to make things up. That skill sits elsewhere.

http://www.open.ac.uk/about/main/strategy-and-policies/strategy/partnerships#
"More than 30,000 UK employers, including 80% of FTSE 100 companies, have sponsored staff on OU programmes"

Still waiting for examples of your "top companies" and a comment regarding Engineering earnings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University marketing departments arent the most trustworthy sources of information.

All engineering grads likely earn well, maths is maths no matter where you hack it. That cant be faked all engineering programs are tough.

and i never said i "deserved" a place because im a landlord but yes i am a functioning economic agent.
I dont see how that could get me admission to any university much less Nottingham.

Not only do i manage but i own them outright, no small undertaking for a 27 yr old.

Who is also working on a prestigious degree.

Top companies can really be anywhere that pays well and has opportunities to move up.

However, dont see Google or Netflix or Mckinsey hiring from the Open U....these arent top companies as much as "global firms".
Reply 87
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How on Earth is being a post doc not a real job? You still do your 9-5 (usually longer in fact) every single day. Even a PhD student tends to work harder and longer hours than most mainstream jobs.

Cheers for this, haha.
Reply 88
However, dont see Google or Netflix or Mckinsey hiring from the Open U....these arent top companies as much as "global firms".

Google currently has 79 OU alumni.
McKinsey 16
Netflix 1, although they have hardly any UK employees at all*
What about Facebook? 23
Microsoft? 210 (vs 105 from Nottingham)

*The one Netflix OU alumna studied Social Science at the OU and is now Senior Manager, Talent Mobility based in California. Hmm, makes you think doesn't it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Google currently has 79 OU alumni.
McKinsey 16
Netflix 1, although they have hardly any UK employees at all*
What about Facebook? 23
Microsoft? 210 (vs 105 from Nottingham)

*The one Netflix OU alumna studied Social Science at the OU and is now Senior Manager, Talent Mobility based in California. Hmm, makes you think doesn't it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not bad, though im sure nottingham graduates outperform OU on the whole, i think nottingham ranks 13th globally in fortune 500 CEOs but obviously we arent comparing the two.

Overall open is a decent mid tier university and better then some brick and mortar schools.

However its not a Russell group (or higher up non RG unis) and isnt comparable in the slightest. 🎓🎓
It is however by all i have learned here on the more reputable online education providers.
Reply 90
Not bad, though im sure nottingham graduates outperform OU on the whole,

"On the whole" of what? Microsoft has twice as many OU alumni as Nottingham... and Google there's about the same OU & Nottingham.

i think nottingham ranks 13th globally in fortune 500 CEOs but obviously we arent comparing the two.

Source?

No mention of Nottingham in this:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/alma-mater-index-2017-who-educates-global-business-elite

Edit: not that the educational background of 500 CEOs is especially relevant to anyone except magazine sellers.
(edited 6 years ago)
"On the whole" of what? Microsoft has twice as many OU alumni as Nottingham... and Google was about the same.

Source?

No mention of Nottingham in this:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/alma-mater-index-2017-who-educates-global-business-elite

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Nottingham

Although from 2012 apparently,

still decently represented, but there are plently of nottingham graduates outperforming OU, PM of malaysia for one, further Andrew witty was CEO of GSK....

But its not a competition....

take a poll

place at Nottingham vs OU.... we know who wins.

Also spend sometime on Nottinghams wiki appreciate the University a bit :smile:

4 what i have always preached, OU and such unis are not for large prestigious jobs, they feed SME and keep them full of graduates

You know that the vast majority of graduates - including those from top universities end up working for SMEs right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93

further Andrew witty was CEO of GSK....

GSK has 185 OU alumni, Nottingham 220. Barely any difference.

The people going to OU are doing so for good reasons. The education they receive is excellent, and their qualifications are well regarded in the real world of work.

If you, as a 27yo, ever work at a FTSE100 or Fortune500 you may well reappraise how important a university "name" is, and more specifically what the RG actually means...

Speaking as someone who has worked at, and had senior clients in, many of those businesses I can assure you hiring OU candidates is never a problem.

The people going to OU are doing so for good reasons. The education they receive is excellent, and their qualifications are well regarded in the real world of work.

If you, as a 27yo, ever work at a FTSE100 or Fortune500 you may well reappraise how important a university "name" is, and more specifically what the RG actually means...

Speaking as someone who has worked at, and had senior clients in, many of those businesses I can assure you hiring OU candidates is never a problem.

Tbf, I did some digging on LinkedIn and most of the people who list OU have only done short courses and went to brick+mortar unis for the bachelors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they are unlikely to hire 29 yr olds...

But coming from a decent uni gives me a better chance then being 29 and coming from a crap uni.
Well actually 30 once i get my masters (😂😂) that only leaves me 30 yrs to work scary stuff.

Sorry to say it but those are my views.

But coming from a decent uni gives me a better chance then being 29 and coming from a crap uni.
Well actually 30 once i get my masters (😂😂) that only leaves me 30 yrs to work scary stuff.

You talk like Nottingham is Oxbridge. Notts accepts "crap" OU degrees for post-grad. If you come from stock, why have you not fully paid your degree off?
Reply 97

Again, you are saying OU is a crap uni. Please stop.

This is the whole problem with your views.

GSK are just as likely to hire a good candidate from Nottingham as one from OU. To make yourself that good candidate you need to maximise your own skills and experience, not rely on your university "name".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phillip Banks
You talk like Nottingham is Oxbridge. Notts accepts "crap" OU degrees for post-grad. If you come from stock, why have you not fully paid your degree off?

the key to financial success, is not to spend money you dont need to, firstly as a landlord you have to maintain your property, further think about it, the economy is ok now but god forbid we hit another recession... i graduate no jobs to be had... instead i can save my liquidity for house repairs and paying those brilliant german taxes... the mentality of retaining wealth from a german perspective is low risk. Besides i still need to pay rent and etc in the UK, just because Im a landlord in Germany doesnt mean i get to live here for free here.
the key to financial success, is not to spend money you dont need to, firstly as a landlord you have to maintain your property, further think about it, the economy is ok now but god forbid we hit another recession... i graduate no jobs to be had... instead i can save my liquidity for house repairs and paying those brilliant german taxes... the mentality of retaining wealth from a german perspective is low risk. Besides i still need to pay rent and etc in the UK, just because Im a landlord in Germany doesnt mean i get to live here for free here.

So you are not really from stock then?

Do they belong to you, or your parents? Pretty sure it is the later.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest