The Student Room Group

M2 question :(

How can I do 5 ii ?
Attachment not found
Original post by joyoustele
How can I do 5 ii ?

Label the diagram a bit more - include dots where appropriate to represent the centre of mass for each part of the rod. Secondly, measure out their distances along their respectively parts. Furthermore, the wire is uniform, so it has the same density throughout which you can call μ\mu. Then the mass of each part of the rod is just m=μm=\mu \ell where \ell is the length of the part.

Also, label BCD=θ\angle BCD = \theta and so you know that cosθ=45\cos \theta = \frac{4}{5}. Use this to determine sinθ\sin \theta as you'll be using these.

So then begin the question, finding the horizontal distance of the overall CoM from the point B. This is the same as finding the horizontal distance from the part AB. You have 3 different objects each with their own CoM so just determine the overall one from a formula you know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Label the diagram a bit more - include dots where appropriate to represent the centre of mass for each part of the rod. Secondly, measure out their distances along their respectively parts. Furthermore, the wire is uniform, so it has the same density throughout which you can call μ\mu. Then the mass of each part of the rod is just m=μm=\mu \ell where \ell is the length of the part.

Also, label BCD=θ\angle BCD = \theta and so you know that cosθ=45\cos \theta = \frac{4}{5}. Use this to determine sinθ\sin \theta as you'll be using these.

So then begin the question, finding the horizontal distance of the overall CoM from the point B. This is the same as finding the horizontal distance from the part AB. You have 3 different objects each with their own CoM so just determine the overall one from a formula you know.

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 3

Can you tell me why sometimes the y is ignored?
Can you tell me why sometimes the y is ignored?

What's y?
Reply 5
What's y?

y bar. Nm I think I know
y bar. Nm I think I know

I assume that yˉ\bar{y} is the vertical height of the CoM. So of course you ignore this for part (i) since you're doing it horizontally here, and then you do yˉ\bar{y} in part (ii)

Quick Reply

Latest