The Student Room Group

How much to spend on first car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalSheepy
You can get quite a decent first car with that sort of budget. Have you had any ideas on what car you'd like to get?

That is the thing, my taste is stupidly expensive.
I like Audi's, Golfs & Polos, But i lowered my taste to Peugeots, Astras, Corsas. So it is just abouut finding a good deal!
Original post by marwakhalid
That is the thing, my taste is stupidly expensive.
I like Audi's, Golfs & Polos, But i lowered my taste to Peugeots, Astras, Corsas. So it is just abouut finding a good deal!

Realistically, you're not going to get an Audi or a Golf, and if it's the older one's you're probably not even going to get insurance on them.

Peugeots are a no in my book, they're absolutely vile cars. Astra's, again you're going to struggle a little with insuring, but it's probably do-able.

However, a Corsa, although @nevershear and @IWMTom are completely against them, is quite quite a good first car and is low on insurance.

The Polo 1.2 Mk. 5 should be within your price range with about 50k miles, and they're also quite cheap to insure.
10 bags minimum
Original post by Tubbz
The biggest issue you will have will likely be the cost of insurance. That £4000 will likely cover the car and insurance for the first year. Find yourself a £500-1000 run around and take the hit on the insurance, then go from there. Buy something sensible, it's your first car, no need to be silly with it.

Exactly.
You see people getting audis and bmws or something brand new etc etc as their first car and its like, why? what are you trying to archieve? Its your first car, you dont need anything too special. You will appreciate it later down the line.
Realistically, you're not going to get an Audi or a Golf, and if it's the older one's you're probably not even going to get insurance on them.

Peugeots are a no in my book, they're absolutely vile cars. Astra's, again you're going to struggle a little with insuring, but it's probably do-able.

However, a Corsa, although @nevershear and @IWMTom are completely against them, is quite quite a good first car and is low on insurance.

The Polo 1.2 Mk. 5 should be within your price range with about 50k miles, and they're also quite cheap to insure.

Now I understand why there is so many Peugeots for sale because they are vile LOL. Astra’s have a nice look to them and so do Polos. Apparently, Polo’s are bad cars and they get ruined easily, is that true?
Original post by Emma:-)
Exactly.
You see people getting audis and bmws or something brand new etc etc as their first car and its like, why? what are you trying to archieve? Its your first car, you dont need anything too special. You will appreciate it later down the line.

Hmm, that is right
Now I understand why there is so many Peugeots for sale because they are vile LOL. Astra’s have a nice look to them and so do Polos. Apparently, Polo’s are bad cars and they get ruined easily, is that true?

The Peugeots look better in the scrap yards than they do the roads :laugh:

I haven't heard anything bad about the Polo, but with every car you buy, read some owner reviews and see what they say about it.

However, the Astra is quite a bit bigger in size than the Polo. Maybe for a new driver, the Polo would be the better option.

Original post by Emma:-)
Exactly.

You're hardly going to buy a brand new car with £4000 :laugh: My first car was nearly £6000.
Reply 27
I'm 17 years old about to turn 18.
I work full time (apprenticeship) so the money is decent not that great.

I'm paying for driving lessons at £24 p/h and I'm a beginner, therefore, I will need a couple of lessons.

I will be paying for insurance, MOT, Road tax and all of that stuff by myself.

On top of that, I will be paying for the car myself.

I want a decent car but I don't want to be spending too much.

So what should my budget be for a first car?

It depends, for some people 1000£ are a lots of money, for others not.
How can we suggest ?
Tbh it depends on your situation as I paid like £6,000
The Peugeots look better in the scrap yards than they do the roads :laugh:

I haven't heard anything bad about the Polo, but with every car you buy, read some owner reviews and see what they say about it.

However, the Astra is quite a bit bigger in size than the Polo. Maybe for a new driver, the Polo would be the better option.

You're hardly going to buy a brand new car with £4000 :laugh: My first car was nearly £6000.

Oh no, I don't want a brand new car LOL

There are far worse cars I'm against, to name a few the Clio, the Xsara, Mitsubishi (ANY OF THEM, but especially the Mirage), the Proton Savvy, Peugeot (ANY of the ones you can actually have as a first car) and I'll throw in the Kia Piccanto for good measure, I just tend to pick on the Corsa because it's an easier target.

Still think they're mostly a risk buy, mechanically unsound and poorly performing (especially the old ones), the newers ones on the other hand are within reason but for the price you pay for them, you could do better (the MK5 polo for a start)

Quick Reply

Latest