The Student Room Group

Uni choices

Hey, so I've received back all my offers from the universities that I applied to and after attending one of the interviews I became highly interested in one of the universities (Falmouth University).

I applied to do Graphic Design at Norwich University of the arts, which was initially my first choice. After seeing FU I'm quite tied, they are very different to each other as ones modern- but that doesn't bother me. I think the thing that makes me tied the most is the course content and the stats when compared. I found both places to be appealing and accommodation suits me (distance isn't a problem to me either). Though Falmouth had a few stats higher than NUA it says that graduates earn less. Furthermore, though the GD course at NUA is mostly branding based they also allow you to swap to Graphic Communication in the second year. That interested me but the FU course covers everything, not just branding but requires you to go into a certain direction in yr 2/3.

From that, I like both outcomes and I realise that when I go into employment it depends on location (those who go into London probably earn more?). They both give great work experience in the second year and both have good facilities. I think the main thing keeping me from choosing is that I have a friend going to NUA so maybe that's pushing me towards NUA more? Touching on this point I was way happier when I received feedback from NUA rather than FU.

I guess I'm just scared with after university and securing a job in the industry. They both have a TEF Gold in teaching etc, but only NUA is accredited by the Creativeskills. If anyone could put in some input and opinion I'd love that.
Go for the course that appeals to you most. It’s so important that you really enjoy what you’re doing in order to be able to motivate yourself to get your work done.
Reply 2
Original post by Potato456
Go for the course that appeals to you most. It’s so important that you really enjoy what you’re doing in order to be able to motivate yourself to get your work done.

I do love the course content on the Graphic Design course at Falmouth, but on the Graphic design course at NUA I haven't tried branding so I'm not certain if I'll enjoy it but their Graphic Communication course is something that applies to me more so if I did dislike branding I'd swap to that in the second year. So either way I love both course contents...
Falmouth is, as I understand, fairly well regarded professionally. In general though, within the creative industries where you studied is considerably less important than most other areas, from what I hear. To an extent they may want to tick off you have a degree at the appropriate classification, but the work you've produced and can show in a professional portfolio (usually a website or similar for graduates which they link to on their business cards), as well as networking generally, makes a much greater difference.

You may want to consider some aspects more generally about the locations - can you see yourself living in the area for 3 years? What are accommodation prices like, both for halls and in the private renting market (as it's likely you'll be living out of halls after first year). Having a friend already there is often nice, but inevitably you'll make friends outside of that, and you may find knowing someone there limits you initially as you avoid making connections with your course-mates to tread familiar ground, which can make it more difficult to make these connections later once friend groups have evolved.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Falmouth is, as I understand, fairly well regarded professionally. In general though, within the creative industries where you studied is considerably less important than most other areas, from what I hear. To an extent they may want to tick off you have a degree at the appropriate classification, but the work you've produced and can show in a professional portfolio (usually a website or similar for graduates which they link to on their business cards), as well as networking generally, makes a much greater difference.

You may want to consider some aspects more generally about the locations - can you see yourself living in the area for 3 years? What are accommodation prices like, both for halls and in the private renting market (as it's likely you'll be living out of halls after first year). Having a friend already there is often nice, but inevitably you'll make friends outside of that, and you may find knowing someone there limits you initially as you avoid making connections with your course-mates to tread familiar ground, which can make it more difficult to make these connections later once friend groups have evolved.

I love both falmouth and norwich, both halls that i like are a bit pricey but id be working part time as well to pay off the rent. Also im usually a bit shy so i thought having a friend could push me to speak to others that sit near by etc. I keep looking into both unis and they both have successful alumnis and good business partners. I asked my teachers for their viewpoints but they said to follow my heart and touched upon how i was more happy with nua than fu. Im just in a confused state but i want to choose to sort out finance etc.
Original post by abbynub
I love both falmouth and norwich, both halls that i like are a bit pricey but id be working part time as well to pay off the rent. Also im usually a bit shy so i thought having a friend could push me to speak to others that sit near by etc. I keep looking into both unis and they both have successful alumnis and good business partners. I asked my teachers for their viewpoints but they said to follow my heart and touched upon how i was more happy with nua than fu. Im just in a confused state but i want to choose to sort out finance etc.

If you keep coming back to NUA, then that's usually a sign that you at least subconsciously you prefer that course :smile: don't disregard your "gut instinct" and overthink it!

You may want to try and visit them again to get a second viewing if you're really unsure, although I appreciate this may or may not be possible depending where you live and your financial situation.
It might help to mentally “decide” - “I will firm NUA” and then just LIVE with that choice for a month. If by mid March you are still happy with it then it’s a good decision, if not then do the opposite. Mentally decide “I witfirm Falmouth” and live with that decision for a month. By mid April you should have a better idea which choice is better for you.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
It might help to mentally “decide” - “I will firm NUA” and then just LIVE with that choice for a month. If by mid March you are still happy with it then it’s a good decision, if not then do the opposite. Mentally decide “I witfirm Falmouth” and live with that decision for a month. By mid April you should have a better idea which choice is better for you.

Little things are really just pushing me back, NUA was my first choice and when I was going to firm it all that went in my mind was "But Falmouth has better stats" "You won't do as good as you would if you went Falmouth" but when I think of firming Falmouth I think of similar things like "But NUA is accredited" "Your friends going NUA she'll do better"

I was looking at work at NUA on Instagram moments ago and loving it but those thoughts just come into my mind and I get confused about what to pick- I feel so much stress on my shoulders to if I pick the wrong choice I won't be happy as I could've been. I ask for people's opinions on both universities and they just tell me "do what makes you happy" I feel like at this point I just want their proper opinions.
Original post by abbynub
Little things are really just pushing me back, NUA was my first choice and when I was going to firm it all that went in my mind was "But Falmouth has better stats" "You won't do as good as you would if you went Falmouth" but when I think of firming Falmouth I think of similar things like "But NUA is accredited" "Your friends going NUA she'll do better"

I was looking at work at NUA on Instagram moments ago and loving it but those thoughts just come into my mind and I get confused about what to pick- I feel so much stress on my shoulders to if I pick the wrong choice I won't be happy as I could've been. I ask for people's opinions on both universities and they just tell me "do what makes you happy" I feel like at this point I just want their proper opinions.

The stats are historical. They’re the opinions and jobs that people who started the course 4 years ago think/got. They don’t reflect your personal chances of success. Dropping out of the course with the best stats because you aren’t happy is going to set you back far more than getting a good degree (and portfolio) from a university that has a lower profile.

It really does sound like you want to pick NUA but are worried that that isn’t the rational choice. Your reasons for wanting Falmouth are about other people’s opinions, your reasons for wanting NUA sound more like your own preferences.

Pick NUA. But don’t make it official on Track until mid April. If you don’t think you can succeed and produce your best work at NUA by mid April then firm Falmouth instead.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
The stats are historical. They’re the opinions and jobs that people who started the course 4 years ago think/got. They don’t reflect your personal chances of success. Dropping out of the course with the best stats because you aren’t happy is going to set you back far more than getting a good degree (and portfolio) from a university that has a lower profile.

It really does sound like you want to pick NUA but are worried that that isn’t the rational choice. Your reasons for wanting Falmouth are about other people’s opinions, your reasons for wanting NUA sound more like your own preferences.

Pick NUA. But don’t make it official on Track until mid April. If you don’t think you can succeed and produce your best work at NUA by mid April then firm Falmouth instead.

Thank you so much for responding, it really helped me notice how much more I love NUA and I decided to firm it on track and I am super happy about it! I was wondering how do I go about doing Student Finance?

Quick Reply

Latest