The Student Room Group

Far right terrorist threat growing in UK

The retiring head of counter-terrorism in the UK has warned of the growing threat of the far right, with four terrorist plots having been foiled in 2017. A third of referrals to Prevent are now for people engaged in far right terrorism. There was no comment on successful attacks such as the Finsbury Mosque attack.

“Ironically, while Islamist and extreme rightwing ideologies may appear to be at opposing ends of the argument it is evident that they both have a great deal in common,” he said.
Rowley said both groups have a common goal of “increasing tensions and divisions in communities”. He said both reach into communities through sophisticated propaganda, as well as create intolerance and isolation by exploiting grievances. He added both also reinforce a sense of isolation by generating distrust of the state and offer “warped parallel alternatives” that undermine values of tolerance and diversity.

I'm not sure if I find these stats surprising or not... how about you guys? Do you think enough is being done to prevent radicalisation?

Scroll to see replies

I'd need to be told a lot more about the 'four plots' to believe anything, certainly not going to take his word for it.
Reply 2
Original post by zhog
I'd need to be told a lot more about the 'four plots' to believe anything, certainly not going to take his word for it.

... You're not going to believe a police chief?
The far right have and will always be the biggest terrorist threat. One look at history should tell you this.
Reply 4
Original post by AmeliaLost
The retiring head of counter-terrorism in the UK has warned of the growing threat of the far right, with four terrorist plots having been foiled in 2017. A third of referrals to Prevent are now for people engaged in far right terrorism. There was no comment on successful attacks such as the Finsbury Mosque attack.

I'm not sure if I find these stats surprising or not... how about you guys? Do you think enough is being done to prevent radicalisation?

Not by a long shot. Especially as people/the authorities seem only to be focussing on Islamic terror which historically has been a non event in the UK until very recently.
not surprising at all. People from across Europe have been calling that this would happen for years now.

An increase in Islamic terrorism, was always going to be met with an increase in anti-Islamic terrorism.

What did the article say, this year they have stopped 10 islamic plots, and 4 right-wing plots.. I would not be surprised if the numbers are the same in a few years.

---

In the past this sort of escalation and attitude would have led to civil war, but I hope these days we have moved past that point, and can actually address the issues properly. Because both sides do have legitimate problems.
Reply 6
Original post by fallen_acorns
not surprising at all. People from across Europe have been calling that this would happen for years now.

An increase in Islamic terrorism, was always going to be met with an increase in anti-Islamic terrorism.

What did the article say, this year they have stopped 10 islamic plots, and 4 right-wing plots.. I would not be surprised if the numbers are the same in a few years.

---

In the past this sort of escalation and attitude would have led to civil war, but I hope these days we have moved past that point, and can actually address the issues properly. Because both sides do have legitimate problems.

History and current events say its a damn sight unlikely i'm afraid.
... You're not going to believe a police chief?

Not in this case, the police have become too politicized and are little more than purveyors of a leftist social agenda these days. The way they have been stitching blokes up in rape cases is absolutely criminal, all at the instigation of whom?

You may be too young to remember this but we once had a government that took us to invading another country under the pretence that they had a comprehensive arsenal of so-called WMDs. All pukka, official intelligence reports and all that. Ever since, I need to see it to believe it. The left stop at nothing in pursuit of their objectives.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zhog
Not in this case, the police have become too politicized and are little more than purveyors of a leftist social agenda these days. The way they have been stitching blokes up in rape cases is absolutely criminal, all at the instigation of whom?

You may be too young to remember this but we once had a government that took us to invading another country under the pretence that they had a comprehensive arsenal of so-called WMDs. All pukka, official intelligence reports and all that. Ever since, I need to see it to believe it. The left stop at nothing in pursuit of their objectives.

Hear, hear.
Original post by zhog
The way they have been stitching blokes up in rape cases is absolutely criminal, all at the instigation of whom?

Why? The illuminati, of course.
Original post by Napp
Not by a long shot. Especially as people/the authorities seem only to be focussing on Islamic terror which historically has been a non event in the UK until very recently.

I'd second this really, it's not surprising, but definitely should have been focused on sooner.
Original post by Conceited
Why? The illuminati, of course.

Nah, try again.
Reply 12

I love how the left is never mentioned for terror attacks in the media.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/2017-eu-terrorism-report-142-failed-foiled-and-completed-attacks-1002-arrests-and-142-victims-died

http://www.dw.com/en/after-g20-a-look-at-left-wing-radicalism-in-europe/a-39629507

Both need to be reported on. Anything that is a threat needs to be reported and spoken about. Wether its Islamic terror, Right wing terror or left wing terror - their aim is the same. To destroy lives.
Original post by Caesar333
The far right have and will always be the biggest terrorist threat. One look at history should tell you this.

Get real and wake up from that drunken stupor, will you? I was very close to the terrorist attacks in London on 7/7 and they had nothing to do with the far-right. My mother was in the City last time the IRA. the terrorist organisation supported by Corbyn, blew up something in this country. All along they were murdering British policemen and soldiers and your idol was there holding them by the hand all the way, maybe that is why the left want to push this con about far-right terrorism. All you can come up with is some down and out getting high and driving a van into a crowd in a fit, or some idiot publishing on fb that he is going to buy an axe.

The biggest threat of all this country is facing is the rise of the far-left, their takeover of the Labour party and possibly the country. They'll reduce it to rubble quicker than all the far-right plotters put together could dream of.
Original post by zhog
Get real and wake up from that drunken stupor, will you?

59% of deaths in the US last year were from right wing terrorism. Left wing extremism counted for 3%.

Original post by zhog
I was very close to the terrorist attacks in London on 7/7 and they had nothing to do with the far-right.

And Islamic extremism receives the most attention from counter-terrorism, counter-extremism projects etc out of any form of extremism. But where's the attention for those being pulled into other extremist ideologies?

Original post by zhog
My mother was in the City last time the IRA. the terrorist organisation supported by Corbyn, blew up something in this country. All along they were murdering British policemen and soldiers and your idol was there holding them by the hand all the way, maybe that is why the left want to push this con about far-right terrorism. All you can come up with is some down and out getting high and driving a van into a crowd in a fit, or some idiot publishing on fb that he is going to buy an axe.

The biggest threat of all this country is facing is the rise of the far-left, their takeover of the Labour party and possibly the country. They'll reduce it to rubble quicker than all the far-right plotters put together could dream of.

The IRA were right wing nationalists. All Corbyn did at the time was to speak out of turn, to say he supported them is vastly skewing what he was up to (which wasn't good in itself, but it's a different story).

This left-right division everyone is so wrapped up in these days is what will harm countries. The political centre has evaporated, everyone's angry, community cohesion is falling apart; textbook divide and conquer.
The brutal murder of an MP in the street by a far right nutjob is enough to make people sit up.

Sadly you will always have those that play down such things, particularly when the terrorist' s political views are close to their own.
59% of deaths in the US last year were from right wing terrorism. Left wing extremism counted for 3%.

What terrorism, the only case I know of is Charlottesville and to call that terrorist plotting by the far-right is the usual misrepresentation of reality by the left. There are no examples whatsoever of any terrorism in the link,from a site obviously skewed towards the left in its purpose. The methodology is a joke, an attempt to dress it up as credible and impress people through easy-to-follow headlines. And we are talking UK, anyway.

The IRA were right wing nationalists. All Corbyn did at the time was to speak out of turn, to say he supported them is vastly skewing what he was up to (which wasn't good in itself, but it's a different story).

Oh no, he did support them alright. You may not like it but he did, like he did with just about every anti-British or Western cause.
Original post by Sulfolobus
The brutal murder of an MP in the street by a far right nutjob is enough to make people sit up.

Sadly you will always have those that play down such things, particularly when the terrorist' s political views are close to their own.

Is that your terrorist plot by the far-right? Terrorist plotting is what people like Corbyn's friends at the IRA did when they murdered the NI secretary. it means planning to kill someone in pursuit of an organised poltical cause. Or when they tried to murder Thatcher, a lot of plotting went into that.

Sadly, you will always have those that play down such things, particularly when the murderer's political views are close to their own. That's what Corbyn did with the IRA, brothers in arms.

This crap with Corbyn doing anything to promote dialogue and all that rubbish is just that, rubbish. So much so that when any meaningful talks eventually took off he was nowhere to be seen, being an useless idiot in their hands was all that he ever was. To take them to the House a fortnight after Brighton, for instance. Hatred of the UK was all that bonded them, simple as that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zhog
Sadly, you will always have those that play down such things, particularly when the murderer's political views are close to their own.

Which is also exactly what you're doing here.
Funny how the people who flood all White countries with the purpose of destroying our populations aren't considered extremists

Yet the people who RESIST are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending