The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Accommodation

Hello,

I am looking to put Exeter as my firm choice and I am just looking at accommodation at the moment.

I will be between the St Lukes and Stretham, as I will be doing Medical Science which is across the two roughly equally - so my accommodation would need to be roughly between the two.

Ideally, I'd like an ensuite self-catered room from which I can walk to both campuses.

So far I've been looking at, Printworks, James Owen Court, St Germans, Rowe House and Lafrowda - but I'm really unsure on where to put down.

Any opinions on these? Or recommendations on where to look? Do any of these have bad/good reputations?

Thank you, any help will be much appreciated :wink:
Reply 1
I’m putting Exeter as my firm choice too, and I’m also doing medical science. I have spoken to friends from Exeter and they said Lafrowda is one of the best accommodations , followed by Birks. :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Birks is probs not great for medsci tho, as it’s over on the other side of Streatham. I was in lafrowda and it’s very good social wise, as is in close proximity to other accommodations like Rowe house and st Germans as well as the lemmy. Printworks is very good location wise for medsci, as it’s pretty much halfway between the two campuses, and super close to town as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Printworks is disgustingly expensive as I recall and to my knowledge Lafrowda is basically on the Streatham campus, so less ideal.

You may want to consider UNITE - Northernhay House is in town, and a not too long (but all uphill, as with everything in Exe :tongue: ) walk to the main (Streatham) campus, and a (maybe) longer walk to the St Lukes campus. Crucially though, it's about a minute away from the central bus stops (where the buses stop for about 5 mins) where the D (I assume it's still the D) goes to both campuses (although which side of the road you get it from will depend on which you're going - you want to be on the Next side for Streatham and the same side as Northernhay for St Lukes).

Alternately, the UNITE Exeter Trust House is pretty equally between them, but probably less convenient in terms of buses or walking to either... you're not on the D bus route there, so would need to get a dayrider and hop buses in town if you wanted to do that, and walking is a bit longer to the main campus and while not that far as the crow flies to St Lukes, it's sort of weirdly parallel to the campus and may not have ideal walking routes between them. Also it's a bit of a rougher patch there anyway...

I'd probably say Northernhay would be ideal, walking to the main campus (or bussing if you oversleep :tongue: ) and bussing to St Lukes (or walking actually - it's not really that far from there anyway if you go down past the Vue way, it would probably take about as long as the other walk as it's slightly flatter that way too). You're also directly in town, saving you taxi money on nights out, convenience for shopping for grocery bits, etc, etc. Also if you're on the north/east side of the building, you can look out your window to see if you're too late to get an outdoor table at Firehouse (the answer is always yes, but at least you'll know not to be disappointed on arrival...)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LD080201
I’m putting Exeter as my firm choice too, and I’m also doing medical science. I have spoken to friends from Exeter and they said Lafrowda is one of the best accommodations , followed by Birks. :smile:

Ah cool, well hopefully see you there!

That's what I have heard but it's quite hard to get a room as it's so popular!
Reply 5
Original post by milliethemoo
Birks is probs not great for medsci tho, as it’s over on the other side of Streatham. I was in lafrowda and it’s very good social wise, as is in close proximity to other accommodations like Rowe house and st Germans as well as the lemmy. Printworks is very good location wise for medsci, as it’s pretty much halfway between the two campuses, and super close to town as well.

Ah thank you I didn't realise!

Thank you for all the help, what were Rowe House and St Germans like?
Reply 6
de
Original post by artful_lounger
Printworks is disgustingly expensive as I recall and to my knowledge Lafrowda is basically on the Streatham campus, so less ideal.

You may want to consider UNITE - Northernhay House is in town, and a not too long (but all uphill, as with everything in Exe :tongue: ) walk to the main (Streatham) campus, and a (maybe) longer walk to the St Lukes campus. Crucially though, it's about a minute away from the central bus stops (where the buses stop for about 5 mins) where the D (I assume it's still the D) goes to both campuses (although which side of the road you get it from will depend on which you're going - you want to be on the Next side for Streatham and the same side as Northernhay for St Lukes).

Alternately, the UNITE Exeter Trust House is pretty equally between them, but probably less convenient in terms of buses or walking to either... you're not on the D bus route there, so would need to get a dayrider and hop buses in town if you wanted to do that, and walking is a bit longer to the main campus and while not that far as the crow flies to St Lukes, it's sort of weirdly parallel to the campus and may not have ideal walking routes between them. Also it's a bit of a rougher patch there anyway...

I'd probably say Northernhay would be ideal, walking to the main campus (or bussing if you oversleep :tongue: ) and bussing to St Lukes (or walking actually - it's not really that far from there anyway if you go down past the Vue way, it would probably take about as long as the other walk as it's slightly flatter that way too). You're also directly in town, saving you taxi money on nights out, convenience for shopping for grocery bits, etc, etc. Also if you're on the north/east side of the building, you can look out your window to see if you're too late to get an outdoor table at Firehouse (the answer is always yes, but at least you'll know not to be disappointed on arrival...)

Thank you so much this was really helpful, I will definitely look at Northernhay!

How long was the bus to each of the campuses?
Original post by ellennst.c
Ah thank you I didn't realise!

Thank you for all the help, what were Rowe House and St Germans like?

Rowe house and st Germans are really nice, and have double beds in most of the rooms which is definitely a plus. They aren’t as new as the ensuite lafrowda rooms but I knew people in both Rowe house and st Germans and they were very happy with them :smile:
de

Thank you so much this was really helpful, I will definitely look at Northernhay!

How long was the bus to each of the campuses?

Varies a little depending on the time of day - at "peak times" (like 8-9am) there are more request stops being made and more people getting on/off, so prob about 25-30 mins at worst from town to the main campus - the other direction probably about 20-25 mins worst case scenario (people go that direction less often).

Normally it'll be 20ish mins either way, maybe 15 if there are no other stops along the way.
Hello,

I am looking to put Exeter as my firm choice and I am just looking at accommodation at the moment.

I will be between the St Lukes and Stretham, as I will be doing Medical Science which is across the two roughly equally - so my accommodation would need to be roughly between the two.

Ideally, I'd like an ensuite self-catered room from which I can walk to both campuses.

So far I've been looking at, Printworks, James Owen Court, St Germans, Rowe House and Lafrowda - but I'm really unsure on where to put down.

Any opinions on these? Or recommendations on where to look? Do any of these have bad/good reputations?

Thank you, any help will be much appreciated :wink:

Literally, I’m looking at exactly the same ones. I heard the printeorks isn’t like a “hall” . I’m going for medical sciences. Too. I’m looking at Germans because it has a double bed. Here is a list of accomodation I am looking at. Are u going to the offers day on 24th?

Ensuite Accommodation at Exeter
Close to st Luke’s
James Ownen Court - SC - £5515.83 40 weeks (Non wet room, single bed) •Rowancroft - SC - £6062.17 42 weeks (Non Wet room, single bed)

Close to streatham
Lafrowda - SC - £6087.78 40 weeks (single bed and wet room)
Holland Hall - C - £7266.48 32 weeks (Double bed with wet room)
Birks Grange Village - SC - £5906.43 40 weeks (Double bed and non wet room)
•Birks Grange Village - C - £7315.10 32 weeks (Double Bed and Non Wet room) •St Germans - SC - £6087.78 40 weeks (Non Wet room and Double Bed)

SC means self catered and C means catered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending