The Student Room Group

Bad idea not to do higher English?

I would say that English is probably my worst subject cause my mind isn't really geared for it. I somehow got 72% in the prelim but I think that's only because I knew what the essay question would be a couple weeks beforehand.

I have looked at a few uni courses that I would be interested in doing and they only need nat 5 at a C but my aunt who is a careers advisor said that unis would be more likely to choose someone who has higher English.

I really don't want to take it as I would much rather do a subject which would be relevant to what I want to do when I leave school but if it means I'm at a disadvantage to other people then I feel like I should.
Reply 1
It really depends on what you want to study, it's more important than Higher Maths for non-STEM courses but it's by no means a pre-requisite. The essay writing skills are useful but they can be obtained through things like History as well.
Reply 2
Original post by MLM99
It really depends on what you want to study, it's more important than Higher Maths for non-STEM courses but it's by no means a pre-requisite. The essay writing skills are useful but they can be obtained through things like History as well.

Well I'm thinking about doing either physics or computer science university so suppose I could get away without doing it. I took history but I don't have a problem writing essays in that for some reason.
Reply 3
Original post by A1renegade
I would say that English is probably my worst subject cause my mind isn't really geared for it. I somehow got 72% in the prelim but I think that's only because I knew what the essay question would be a couple weeks beforehand.

I have looked at a few uni courses that I would be interested in doing and they only need nat 5 at a C but my aunt who is a careers advisor said that unis would be more likely to choose someone who has higher English.

I really don't want to take it as I would much rather do a subject which would be relevant to what I want to do when I leave school but if it means I'm at a disadvantage to other people then I feel like I should.

I think it's always beneficial to have higher maths and English but that said, if it's a subject you struggle more with and don't need, it shouldn't do too much harm to forgo it. However, I think it's important to appreciate that uni is only a fraction of your life and while you may not need higher English to get in, it may be something that could disadvantage you in the increasingly competitive job market. I don't know much about job requirements or what career you wish to pursue so it may not be an issue but it is something to clarify nonetheless.
Reply 4
Never done Higher english and I am currently studying Physics at uni. When I was applying I never seen higher english mentioned once in the entry requirements, so don't take it if you don't need to, but make sure that you know what you're applying for at uni does not require it.
Reply 5
Original post by ferm4t
Never done Higher english and I am currently studying Physics at uni. When I was applying I never seen higher english mentioned once in the entry requirements, so don't take it if you don't need to, but make sure that you know what you're applying for at uni does not require it.

Good to know. The 2 courses I'm thinking about doing only need it at nat 5 C. My parents are still trying to convince me I'll need it though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending