The Student Room Group

What are your biggest uni money worries?

Moving to university is a huge change in a lot of ways, as well as being one that comes with a lot more responsibilities. One of those is, generally, being in charge of more money, and more of your own finances.

With things like paying for your own accommodation, budgeting for your won food, and trying to handle unexpected expenses, it's understandable that money is one thing a lot of people worry about before going to university, despite the freedom it also offers.

But what are your biggest money worries at university, or for when you get there? And how do you plan to handle them?

Scroll to see replies

Before I came to uni I was really worried about how much everything after rent was going to cost. I knew how much money I had after rent, £42 per week, but I had no idea how much groceries were realistically going to cost, how I was going to be able to afford a phone as my contract was just ending and I couldn't afford to renew it, and how after all of that I was going to afford a social life. I found it helped to do it a few practice runs, so I'd budget out a few weeks and take away money for a few drinks with friends, filled up a basket of shopping online to see how much it'd cost, and things like that. I was really worried I'd end up in my overdraft and in debt to the point where I started to think about not going to uni at all, but once I'd worked out that I could survive and that with bursary payments from the uni on top I should be okay, I figured I'd manage well enough and I have. I have more money now because of other income, but it was definitely a huge worry at the beginning of the year and the time before that
My main thing was going out and social events which can cost loads even with student discounts and deals. The way I got around this was to have more evenings in and predrink rather than buy drinks out. I think being savvy with money helps a lot now I work so can save money whilst also treating myself sometimes :smile:
I've had to quit my job in my third year so I can commit more time to writing my dissertation. My parents are sending me money every month or so to help me out, and I'm really grateful but personally I really don't like having to rely on other people financially, even if it is my parents
I live at home and have a part-time job so my only money worry is finding something with a better interest rate than you get on this friggin market. I want to buy a Buy-to-let before I get to my final year.

My only other worry is regulation changes to how maintenance loans can be used, as I'm only taking out the full amount and stashing it mostly in the H2B ISA for my 25% top-up from the people who charge me 6%, and the rest is going to a savings account.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't know how much money my parents are expected to help me out with when I'm at uni. this kind of worries me because my parents have savings but not very much income at all, and I'm very worried about them breaking their backs to help me out.
lack of money lol
Reply 7
Original post by Oaklasaurus
I don't know how much money my parents are expected to help me out with when I'm at uni. this kind of worries me because my parents have savings but not very much income at all, and I'm very worried about them breaking their backs to help me out.

You could check the student loans website to see how much you might get. If their income is low enough its worth seeing which universities give income based grants.
Original post by ajj2000
You could check the student loans website to see how much you might get. If their income is low enough its worth seeing which universities give income based grants.

I'm in the process of applying to student finance now, i just need to find my passport first before I go any further. I've applied to Southampton, Exeter and Bristol as all very good choices, I'll have a look about their income grants, thank you :smile:
Reply 9
I'm in the process of applying to student finance now, i just need to find my passport first before I go any further. I've applied to Southampton, Exeter and Bristol as all very good choices, I'll have a look about their income grants, thank you :smile:

Exeter certainly have them:
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/finance/studentfunding/nspandbursaries/1819starters/lessthan16000/

From recollection Bristols can be pretty good - certainly enough to make a difference:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fees-funding/awards/uob-bursary/
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fees-funding/awards/accommodation-bursary/apply/

Thank you for these, you're amazing <3
Thank you for these, you're amazing <3

Out of interest do schools not mention these things?

My niece is applying and didn't seem to have heard about low income grants. We found one girl (with unusual circumstances) a scheme worth around £8 - £10k per annum when she asked about funding on here.
Original post by ajj2000
Out of interest do schools not mention these things?

My niece is applying and didn't seem to have heard about low income grants. We found one girl (with unusual circumstances) a scheme worth around £8 - £10k per annum when she asked about funding on here.

Nope, i've only ever heard them in rumours from other students
The fact that 8000 pounds is not sufficient to cover me unless I budget very very well so I've been working this entire year to save up for more money , atleast upto a 1000 pounds and I just found that my friends signed up to a programme that would give 1200 pounds just for work experience for 3 weeks. I don't make 1200 pounds even in 5 months. i almost cried, i tried to apply but the deadline has passed :frown: I've never felt so bitter in my life. If anyone knows any other opportunities through which money can be made for young students let me know :smile:
Original post by justanotherchica
The fact that 8000 pounds is not sufficient to cover me unless I budget very very well so I've been working this entire year to save up for more money , atleast upto a 1000 pounds and I just found that my friends signed up to a programme that would give 1200 pounds just for work experience for 3 weeks. I don't make 1200 pounds even in 5 months. i almost cried, i tried to apply but the deadline has passed :frown: I've never felt so bitter in my life. If anyone knows any other opportunities through which money can be made for young students let me know :smile:

live off campus!!!

you will find rent is much lower then halls,

and 150 pounds a month at lidl or aldi for three years is your best friend :smile:

being a student isnt a lavish lifestyle :frown:

get your parents to buy your tech if they cant help with anything else
Original post by Realitysreflexx
live off campus!!!

you will find rent is much lower then halls,

and 150 pounds a month at lidl or aldi for three years is your best friend :smile:

being a student isnt a lavish lifestyle :frown:

get your parents to buy your tech if they cant help with anything else

tech? well I really want to live in campus otherwise there really is no point in going at all. I've had such a miserable time at 6th form and i dont want to make the mistake of not having any friends... again.
Original post by justanotherchica
tech? well I really want to live in campus otherwise there really is no point in going at all. I've had such a miserable time at 6th form and i dont want to make the mistake of not having any friends... again.

tech = laptop/phone/tv ie technology those are the most expensive things we own.

i mean i live in private accomodation that is right next to uni and have plenty of friends on my course. But then go catered and just realize you wont have much money to do stuff and more to study.
Reply 17
Spending my student loan on expensive designer clothing to impress girls...the honest truth lol
Original post by 0lut0
Spending my student loan on expensive designer clothing to impress girls...the honest truth lol

:lol:

How much do you spend? :shock:
Nikes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending