The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Why do people leave Open unis to go to Brick unis!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Again, you are saying OU is a crap uni. Please stop.

This is the whole problem with your views.

GSK are just as likely to hire a good candidate from Nottingham as one from OU. To make yourself that good candidate you need to maximise your own skills and experience, not rely on your university "name".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Duly noted.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by Phillip Banks
So you are not really from stock then?

Am i rich?

No not in the slightest, but even if i was i wouldnt do it any differently, i will however as soon as i have a good job pay student loans back quicker then most people will just because i will have two incomes.

I'm however also not poor.....
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Am i rich?

No not in the slightest, but even if i was i wouldnt do it any differently, i will however as soon as i have a good job pay student loans back quicker then most people will just because i will have two incomes.

I'm however also not poor.....

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I am guessing 18ish.
What type of wage are you actually looking at getting once you leave Notts?
So you are not really from stock then?

Do they belong to you, or your parents? Pretty sure it is the later.

fully mine, however inherited.

Funny how your desperately being critical of my financial status, yet we havent discussed your finances or reasons for needing to study at OU "to save money".
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I am guessing 18ish.
What type of wage are you actually looking at getting once you leave Notts?

Im 27...getting a masters first, then likely ill have to fight for a job maybe one day make like 40k, likely ill try and work in Germany first. UK would be a second option and then since im american i could potentially work there also, maybe start a business, a chain of restuarants would be interesting.
fully mine, however inherited.

Funny how your desperately being critical of my financial status, yet we havent discussed your finances or reasons for needing to study at OU "to save money".

My parents are both professionals (Aeronautical engineer and Dentist). They have offered to pay for my tuition, but I don't want them to waste the money that they have made in my education.

I study with the OU for a number of reasons. Primarily because I have a pretty aggressive auto-immune disorder that is pretty potent at times. Travelling to Keele every day would be an issue. The A-levels I studied were sciences with Literature. If I wanted to go the traditional route, I would have to go back to college and commute.

I managed to have a "lucky break" if you will last year, I continued studying but ended up falling ill again. I have had three operations and I am expecting another few this year. Nothing too much, but it skews everything.

I guess the flexibility and the fact it is higher than my local uni in the tables was an incentive.
Im 27...getting a masters first, then likely ill have to fight for a job maybe one day make like 40k, likely ill try and work in Germany first. UK would be a second option and then since im american i could potentially work there also, maybe start a business, a chain of restuarants would be interesting.

Your 27 and a first year if I am not mistaken?
Your 27 and a first year if I am not mistaken?

"but I don't want them to waste the money that they have made in my education"

i am taking the same approach by taking a student loan.

I have a responsibility to take care of my moms assets and pass them on to my children, keeping it maintained is part of my responsibility, the easy way would be to sell it get a nice lump sum or live off rents and get an easy job and just survive. Instead im trying to build a life.

My mom was sick she had multiple strokes and type 1 diabetes complications that ended up getting the best of her. I promised her at a young age i would never abandon her and care for her as long as she needed..
She passed in December of 2016 and i started a foundation course (only 9 yr old hs diploma) in january in London, i saw a ucas video about applying to university thought the professor sounded cool, it was nottingham. I applied luckily (i consider it lucky) considering on 1% of nottingham students come from foundation and i didnt do nottinghams, got a place and got the AAB required. Seeing as i should have always went to university but honestly couldnt it seemed like the best path.

Thats my little story,

im sorry you have had health problems.
"but I don't want them to waste the money that they have made in my education"

i am taking the same approach by taking a student loan.

I have a responsibility to take care of my moms assets and pass them on to my children, keeping it maintained is part of my responsibility, the easy way would be to sell it get a nice lump sum or live off rents and get an easy job and just survive. Instead im trying to build a life.

My mom was sick she had multiple strokes and type 1 diabetes complications that ended up getting the best of her. I promised her at a young age i would never abandon her and care for her as long as she needed..
She passed in December of 2016 and i started a foundation course (only 9 yr old hs diploma) in january in London, i saw a ucas video about applying to university thought the professor sounded cool, it was nottingham. I applied luckily (i consider it lucky) considering on 1% of nottingham students come from foundation and i didnt do nottinghams, got a place and got the AAB required. Seeing as i should have always went to university but honestly couldnt it seemed like the best path.

Thats my little story,

im sorry you have had health problems.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Congratulations on your university place.

But please, please, please, stop putting down other people's choices. It's even more surprising you do this considering your own non-standard route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Congratulations on your university place.

But please, please, please, stop putting down other people's choices. It's even more surprising you do this considering your own non-standard route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, its not that bad as it sounds on paper i find myself quite fortunate actually alot of people have had it worse/better but thats life.

Its not putting people down i just think we need to be transparent about possible challenges and ultimately how important education is, everyone should maximise their potential and go the best place they can and alot of people come here to get info. If its perfect or not is less important but it is close to reality imo.
Its not putting people down.

Except it very much is when you say that university X Y or Z is crap compared to Nottingham. And it's especially disingenuous coming from a non-UK first year student with precisely zero experience of being a graduate, or of working in a "top company".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except it very much is when you say that university X Y or Z is crap compared to Nottingham. And it's especially disingenuous coming from a non-UK first year student with precisely zero experience of being a graduate, or of working in a "top company".

Posted from TSR Mobile

the purpose of this thread was to compare brick to non brick and if you do some research further into the beginning thats precisely what it was about, you commented to me about nottingham in a discrediting fashion and my very american school pride kicked in!

Quick Reply