The Student Room Group

GCSE geography revision

hi i have exams coming up and i have yet to find efficient ways of revising geography, apart from past papers and writing up case studies - is there anything people can recommend?
many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by lauren.fardoe
hi i have exams coming up and i have yet to find efficient ways of revising geography, apart from past papers and writing up case studies - is there anything people can recommend?

how well do you do in geography? do you need to study really well or does it just come to you? make mind maps and basic notes of each theme.
Reply 2
we’re in the same boat here haha, i need to actually start revision for geography oops
Reply 3

I’ve made revision notes which are quite helpful. Instead of just writing notes on those expensive revision cards, cut a piece of paper into 4. Then print/save a copy of the gcse geography specification. This will really help you weed out the useless info from your excersise book that won’t actually come up in the GCSEs. Write a question on one side based on the spec and answer it on the other side E.g. What happens at destructive/constructive/conservative plate boundaries? On the other side, at the constructive....
Also bullet point stages because trust me, bullet points are so much easier to memorise
You can also draw diagrams
The only issue is, there’s like only 2 months until our GCSEs so I don’t know if you can finish in time. I binge made these cards and finished 1A 1B and 1C (aqa) in the 2 week Christmas holiday and now I have to do the same for 2A 2b and 2C. If you have most of the other subjects covered, you should try this, however if not I don’t recommend this because there’s a possibility that you spend so much time making notes that you neglect other subjects (talking from experience)
Anyway I wish you good luck and I hope you find your ideal revision technique :smile:
Original post by m.e.
how well do you do in geography? do you need to study really well or does it just come to you? make mind maps and basic notes of each theme.

i can do it to get 7s but i want an 8 as well as just to feel more confident if that makes sense
Original post by P.S.
I’ve made revision notes which are quite helpful. Instead of just writing notes on those expensive revision cards, cut a piece of paper into 4. Then print/save a copy of the gcse geography specification. This will really help you weed out the useless info from your excersise book that won’t actually come up in the GCSEs. Write a question on one side based on the spec and answer it on the other side E.g. What happens at destructive/constructive/conservative plate boundaries? On the other side, at the constructive....
Also bullet point stages because trust me, bullet points are so much easier to memorise
You can also draw diagrams
The only issue is, there’s like only 2 months until our GCSEs so I don’t know if you can finish in time. I binge made these cards and finished 1A 1B and 1C (aqa) in the 2 week Christmas holiday and now I have to do the same for 2A 2b and 2C. If you have most of the other subjects covered, you should try this, however if not I don’t recommend this because there’s a possibility that you spend so much time making notes that you neglect other subjects (talking from experience)
Anyway I wish you good luck and I hope you find your ideal revision technique :smile:

thank you so much i am on edexcel exam board and they have premade flash cards so i’ll try those! good luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 6
i can do it to get 7s but i want an 8 as well as just to feel more confident if that makes sense

ya makes sense. the easiest way is to start making short precise notes of case studies. learn case studies really well. once you do that each topic will become easier to understand because you kind of have some like context to it. also make mind maps iv heard that they really help because it puts all the info together in short words.i don't know if you have themes in your syllabus(I'm doing igcse geography),but it really helps when i make one page notes for the entire theme its the main points i need to know before an exam. also for geography past papers make good practise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending