The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for Edinburgh medicine?

Edinburgh and medicine have always been the dream but I don't know if I've already messed it up with my GcSEs?? I'm year 12 and doing the IB, also looking at perhaps Exeter, Queen's, Bristol and Manchester unis. Here are my stats:

GCSEs- 6 A*s (English lit - 9, English Lang - 8, maths - 8, then biology, physics, French)
5 As. (Chinese, chemistry, RE, music, history)

UKCAT/BMAT - Not done yet

Predicted grades - not got specifics but hopefully around 40ish on the IB

Work experience/volunteering - (by the time I apply) - 4 years coaching disabled children cricket
- 2 years coaching children football
- 6 months in a care home
- Week shadowing doctor in hospital
- Maybe 10 days shadowing a gp (I've been fitting them in when I can during holidays)
- Volunteer on duties as a st John Ambulance cadet

Extra curricular - county level football and cricket
- captain of football team 5 years
- grade 6 guitar and piano
- play in a band and busk in spare time
- as a st John Ambulance cadet I won my district cadet of the Year competition, making me part of a regional youth forum
- we also won our district first aid competitions (I know St. John stuff sounds a bit confusing but I'll hopefully word it right on personal statement)

Sorry this is so long but thankyou for any help you can give me :smile:)
edinburgh is purely a statistics based application tbh, you probably already knew that because there's no interview. you probably won't be in the top scoring band for gcses (i think thats 8A*s), so you'll lose points there (i read somewhere you can lose around 2-3 points maximum overall to get an offer if you're from england). If you get a very high ukcat, band 1 sjt, predictions that would get you in the top band and have confidence that your personal statement ticks all the boxes then definitely go for it.

If not then I would think very hard about it because its the one medical school where your personality and how well you can speak really does not matter- it's solely about the grades, the scores, and how well you tick the boxes with your personal statement. If you do well in your UKCAT you probably do have a good chance of getting in, so focus on that and then reevaluate afterwards :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by beddall01
Edinburgh and medicine have always been the dream but I don't know if I've already messed it up with my GcSEs?? I'm year 12 and doing the IB, also looking at perhaps Exeter, Queen's, Bristol and Manchester unis. Here are my stats:

GCSEs- 6 A*s (English lit - 9, English Lang - 8, maths - 8, then biology, physics, French)
5 As. (Chinese, chemistry, RE, music, history)

UKCAT/BMAT - Not done yet

Predicted grades - not got specifics but hopefully around 40ish on the IB

Work experience/volunteering - (by the time I apply) - 4 years coaching disabled children cricket
- 2 years coaching children football
- 6 months in a care home
- Week shadowing doctor in hospital
- Maybe 10 days shadowing a gp (I've been fitting them in when I can during holidays)
- Volunteer on duties as a st John Ambulance cadet

Extra curricular - county level football and cricket
- captain of football team 5 years
- grade 6 guitar and piano
- play in a band and busk in spare time
- as a st John Ambulance cadet I won my district cadet of the Year competition, making me part of a regional youth forum
- we also won our district first aid competitions (I know St. John stuff sounds a bit confusing but I'll hopefully word it right on personal statement)

Sorry this is so long but thankyou for any help you can give me :smile:)

To be honest the best thing you can do is get good predicted as they will count more than anything else
Reply 3
Thankyouu, it's so annoying that it's so stats based - especially when I was one mark off an A* in one subject, and 2 marks off in another, so close to the 8 A*s!! :frown:(
Are you a prospective med student? :smile:
Thankyouu, it's so annoying that it's so stats based - especially when I was one mark off an A* in one subject, and 2 marks off in another, so close to the 8 A*s!! :frown:(
Are you a prospective med student? :smile:

Yes im in year 13 :smile:

And don't be too put off! If you can get high scores in everything else, you can definitely make up for not having the 8A*s, you just really need to make sure you nail the UKCAT- so many people fall down there, and having a high UKCAT would put you in a really good position to apply. In a way, the lack of an interview is good as now you know exactly what you have to do and there isn't really much left to chance.
Reply 5
Original post by grmonaghan56
To be honest the best thing you can do is get good predicted as they will count more than anything else

Thankyouu :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hello2906
Yes im in year 13 :smile:

And don't be too put off! If you can get high scores in everything else, you can definitely make up for not having the 8A*s, you just really need to make sure you nail the UKCAT- so many people fall down there, and having a high UKCAT would put you in a really good position to apply. In a way, the lack of an interview is good as now you know exactly what you have to do and there isn't really much left to chance.

I guess, for some people then it can be quite a safe bet, well as safe as you could get in medicine, but for me I guess it won't hurt to have one risk - if everything else goes to plan
I guess, for some people then it can be quite a safe bet, well as safe as you could get in medicine, but for me I guess it won't hurt to have one risk - if everything else goes to plan

You say risk? but with Edinburgh there is very little risk about it sadly.

If you are more than 2 points off a full point score then I would say its not a risk, its more likely to be an automatic rejection, and if thats the case its not worth applying as it will just be a waste of an application.

I always had the dream of going to manchester/oxford university at school, but when I actually did some research and went to them both for medicine open days I couldnt have hated them more and actually thought places that I wouldnt like were amazing! Dont judge a book by its cover and keep an open mind.
Reply 8
Original post by Natalierm2707
You say risk? but with Edinburgh there is very little risk about it sadly.

If you are more than 2 points off a full point score then I would say its not a risk, its more likely to be an automatic rejection, and if thats the case its not worth applying as it will just be a waste of an application.

I always had the dream of going to manchester/oxford university at school, but when I actually did some research and went to them both for medicine open days I couldnt have hated them more and actually thought places that I wouldnt like were amazing! Dont judge a book by its cover and keep an open mind.

I guess risk in the fact that you don't know if they'll like your personal statement?

I've been to Edinburgh and loved it, the course, the city, the surroundings, everything! So I'm not just dreaming :smile:
I guess risk in the fact that you don't know if they'll like your personal statement?

I've been to Edinburgh and loved it, the course, the city, the surroundings, everything! So I'm not just dreaming :smile:

Thats fair enough, but I guess if your not far off full score pre-interview and feel your PS is strong - and your other unis are not as risky then one risk isnt going to be to much!!

I never visited Edinburgh, ruled it out based upon its entry requirements. Supposed to be a lovely city but have to admit i know nothing about the medical school.
Apparently Edinburgh don't score GCSEs for IB candidates: https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/mbchb_handbook_final_0.pdf (page 45)

Instead for 'full' academic score, you need 777 predicted at HL with an overall prediction of 42-45.
Reply 11
Original post by Asklepios
Apparently Edinburgh don't score GCSEs for IB candidates: https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/mbchb_handbook_final_0.pdf (page 45)

Instead for 'full' academic score, you need 777 predicted at HL with an overall prediction of 42-45.

Thankyou so much! I had no idea about this!

Do you know by any chance if this is the case for other medschools?
Thankyou so much! I had no idea about this!

Do you know by any chance if this is the case for other medschools?

Nae clue pal
Reply 13
Hi
I'm wondering if my stats are good enough for medicine at Edinburgh - 2019 entry

GCSEs : 10 A*s
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A*
UKCAT : 727.5 (2910), Band 2 SJT

If my personal statement and references are good, what are my chances of getting an offer? I am just a bit concerned about my Band 2 in SJT.
By the way I am a student from England :smile:
Original post by pizza26
Hi
I'm wondering if my stats are good enough for medicine at Edinburgh - 2019 entry

GCSEs : 10 A*s
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A*
UKCAT : 727.5 (2910), Band 2 SJT

If my personal statement and references are good, what are my chances of getting an offer? I am just a bit concerned about my Band 2 in SJT.
By the way I am a student from England :smile:

you've got a solid chance by the looks of things
Reply 15
Ah ok thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending