The Student Room Group

Would you spend 6 grand on a car if you have the money ?

I have saved up 8 grand (and more) from working every weekend for the past 2 1/2 years. I passed my driving test a year ago and I'm planning to buy a car soon so I can use it to travel to university. I was looking at the 14 and 15 plate seat ibiza toca model which can cost up to 6 grand . I really want the car and it would cost me about 2 grand to insure WITHOUT a black box. I'm still working every weekend in which I earn about £600 a month and I will be receiving student loan maintenance money (about 2-3 grand) a year. I'm 21 and I pay £150 for council tax to help with our rent (I live with my dad). Do you think it is wise to spend that kind of money and do you think I could afford it? I also picked this car because it has a good re-sell value than other competitors.

Scroll to see replies

A lot of cars have good resell now, you can sell a 2005 ford fiesta for like 3 grand now if it's in good condition lol.

Also subjective, I bought a new car when I passed, which isn't actually something I'd recommend and neither would many others here, not for immediate financial reasons but because for a first car it's POTENTIAL financial suicide.

On the other hand, if you feel safe enough to drive it, sure, but I'd spend half of that on a cheaper car and insure it; save the rest, buy better car after Uni once in full time work.
You might not have 6k easily again so perhaps consider a cheaper car and saving the rest.
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
A lot of cars have good resell now, you can sell a 2005 ford fiesta for like 3 grand now if it's in good condition lol.

Also subjective, I bought a new car when I passed, which isn't actually something I'd recommend and neither would many others here, not for immediate financial reasons but because for a first car it's POTENTIAL financial suicide.

On the other hand, if you feel safe enough to drive it, sure, but I'd spend half of that on a cheaper car and insure it; save the rest, buy better car after Uni once in full time work.

You seem like you know a lot about cars. Any recommendations of cheaper cars?
Reply 4
No way. A cheaper car will work just as well, and a cheaper car tends to have cheaper insurance. Save the money for something else. I have a 2009 5 door citroen c1 and its only worth around £800. Have a look on ebay, autotrader, second hand dealerships etc. You want a cheap car but reliable enough to cost you more money down the line.
Original post by Mr. red
You seem like you know a lot about cars. Any recommendations of cheaper cars?

An older Ibiza (the older sport models are held in high regard), a fiesta, any small engine nissan that isn't a micra (the almera might be a small engine I think), an older a-class mercedes like a 53/54 reg (road tax is a bit dear and insurance is dependant on where you live as it's a 1.4l engine, but you were going to get a 1.4l anyway), a 2006 yaris (67bhp of glory hnnnng, but it's a half decent "uni and back car"; just don't try to do much else with it), I can also heartily endorse the Suziki Swift.

Also obligatory "don't get an old corsa".
Reply 6
An older Ibiza (the older sport models are held in high regard), a fiesta, any small engine nissan that isn't a micra (the almera might be a small engine I think), an older a-class mercedes like a 53/54 reg (road tax is a bit dear and insurance is dependant on where you live as it's a 1.4l engine, but you were going to get a 1.4l anyway), a 2006 yaris (67bhp of glory hnnnng, but it's a half decent "uni and back car"; just don't try to do much else with it), I can also heartily endorse the Suziki Swift.

Thank you. I will check those out.
Original post by Mr. red
Thank you. I will check those out.

You obviously live in a relatively nice postal area and have a 1yo license to back you up too (2k without a box is almost what I pay on a powerful car, but I'm 24 and have a really bog standard policy, terrible legal expenses, very high excess which is all sections, no courtesy car available etc) ; make the most of it. People like me did not get as many options as you for a first car lol (I think a 1.4 was something like £3000+ WITH a box for me, I have a 1l turbo car now which is £2200; if I wasn't in full time employment I don't think I'd have been able to afford to drive). Then again I also have an accident on record but even without it, I was looking at 2 and a half grand for no other reason than I live in London.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I do live in the country side. If I was to take a black box for a seat ibiza 1.4 toca, the cheapest would be £1300 but I heard that a lot cheap insurers cancel insurance for no reason or for little mistakes tracked in the telematics and so people struggle to get insured in the future. That is why I do not want black box.

Whats wrong with a micra?
Original post by Emma:-)
Whats wrong with a micra?

I should have probably specified the old Micra. Now that that's out the way I'm fairly confident you're not going to ask me to elaborate!
I should have probably specified the old Micra. Now that that's out the way I'm fairly confident you're not going to ask me to elaborate!

Theres nothing wrong with the old micra. Those are jolly good cars. Mega reliable and cheap to run. The looks might not be everyones cup of tea, but theres certainly nothing wrong with them.
Original post by Emma:-)
Theres nothing wrong with the old micra. Those are jolly good cars. Mega reliable and cheap to run. The looks might not be everyones cup of tea, but theres certainly nothing wrong with them.

I couldn't choose one.

Attachment not found

I hope this answers your query. I don't think I could ever live with myself if I allowed anyone in this section to go out and buy one of these, like actually spend real money on them (monopoly money is ok subject to conditions).

There are other cheap and cheerful cars that don't look nearly as bad (the Swift for a start, even a Peugeot)
(edited 6 years ago)
your first car shouldn't be so expensive
Reply 14
Good Points, I got offered a deal today for a £4800 car. It's good I turned it down but said I will think about it here is the link = https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802093559949?radius=1500&make=SEAT&model=IBIZA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Toca&sort=price-asc&postcode=ct91ep&page=2

I might be looking at a cheap 2014 hyundai i10 soon.
Reply 15
I couldn't choose one.

Attachment not found

I hope this answers your query. I don't think I could ever live with myself if I allowed anyone in this section to go out and buy one of these, like actually spend real money on them (monopoly money is ok subject to conditions).

There are other cheap and cheerful cars that don't look nearly as bad (the Swift for a start, even a Peugeot)

Savage.... lol
Reply 16
Yes, I have been out of practice for a year but thinking of taking a pass plus course soon.Thanks for this thread, I now decided to look at cars under £3k. I only started looking at the 5k range cars because I don't want a "I'm 17 just passed car" like a ford KA or a girly looking Peugeot and plus I have money saved up. I was also thinking that I could always sell that car (If I don't crash).
Original post by Mr. red
Yes, I have been out of practice for a year but thinking of taking a pass plus course soon.Thanks for this thread, I now decided to look at cars under £3k. I only started looking at the 5k range cars because I don't want a "I'm 17 just passed car" like a ford KA or a girly looking Peugeot and plus I have money saved up. I was also thinking that I could always sell that car (If I don't crash).

At the age of 17 your options are pretty limited anyway though. Golfs, Polos, older Fiestas etc are all "I just passed, yay for my first car" cars at age 17 (at the other end of the spectrum, they are "I only use my car to travel short distances" or "I'm happy with cheap and cheerful my whole life"). Therefore you just have to filter out the truly awful ones like the KA or the Peugeot, but almost anything you drive is going to be a typical first car. However at that age as well, the point is - you can drive. You can have a bright yellow Daewoo Matiz and it doesn't even matter because half your mates will still be ringing you for lifts and the rest will be driving exactly what you're driving anyway, literally no shame but if you can have something that looks half decent it might implore you to take better care of it.

If you pass at an older age on the other hand well... in my early apprenticeship days when we all were on same shifts due to training, standing at a freezing cold bus stop watching them zoom out of the car park one at a time waving at me and giving me the finger before bundling onto the 482 with more people than the bus is designed to hold... man that sucked. Oldest guy in the group and one of the only ones who couldn't drive, being crowded into the back seat of 3 door cars behind 6ft+ drivers on the subway runs else I wasn't going to get to eat... Goodness grief.

i would not recommend a 2004/2003 A-class the clutchs go on them after 70,000
Reply 19
Would I buy a car for £6000?: Yes
Do I have that money?: No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending