The Student Room Group

40h Night Shifts and University Full time

Hey, I know that doing this is highly unrecommended but I need some suggestions on how to cope with this.
I'm working 4 days a week for 10hours, shifts like 7pm to 5am and somedays I start university at 11am. I'm missing some classes, and sometimes I just feel too tired, but I'm still getting the minimum grades...
(I'm in this work for 3 months now)
Is anyone doing something like this, how did you manage to do it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marfeni
Hey, I know that doing this is highly unrecommended but I need some suggestions on how to cope with this.
I'm working 4 days a week for 10hours, shifts like 7pm to 5am and somedays I start university at 11am. I'm missing some classes, and sometimes I just feel too tired, but I'm still getting the minimum grades...
(I'm in this work for 3 months now)
Is anyone doing something like this, how did you manage to do it?

Not recommended at all. getting minimum scores is no good and you are essentially destroying your degree. The only way I can see is you sacrifice any social life and be well organised.

It is a poor strategy though and you are better off suspending your studies, working full time to save money and then returning. If money is an issue (am assuming you have no choice) then take an extra year until you can afford your studies.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Not recommended at all. getting minimum scores is no good and you are essentially destroying your degree. The only way I can see is you sacrifice any social life and be well organised.

It is a poor strategy though and you are better off suspending your studies, working full time to save money and then returning. If money is an issue (am assuming you have no choice) then take an extra year until you can afford your studies.

Even if I wasn't working I wouldn't get good grades either...
I'm already sacrificing social life, but tips on being organised would be handy :smile:

I'm 18 and I am an international student (eu country) I'm working full time because I don't want to ask my parents money since they struggle a bit... Also, took me 5 months until someone accepted my job application and it was this full time or nothing and I had to pay 3 extra months of rent...
I don't want to do a break on my studies...
Original post by marfeni
I'm already sacrificing social life, but tips on being organised would be handy :smile:

I'm 18 and I am an international student (eu country) I'm working full time because I don't want to ask my parents money since they struggle a bit... Also, took me 5 months until someone accepted my job application and it was this full time or nothing and I had to pay 3 extra months of rent...
I don't want to do a break on my studies...

You need to cut those working hours in half.

Have a look at working migrants scheme for students. You can apply for a maintenance grant plus work. If you are working for a big supermarket, then there should be flexibility to cut hours. You also have experience.

Working migrant allows you to apply for maintenance from SFE as long as you work 24 hours+ and £,7,500 +.

What kind of work must I be doing? You must be working in the UK, and you could be working full time or part time. You can be working for an employer or self-employed. However, Student Finance England has a benchmark of a minimum annual income of £7,500 and working for at least 24 hours a week to qualify as a Migrant Worker.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJ7fCYwMDZAhVHJ1AKHXoVAd0QFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westminster.ac.uk%2Ffile%2F56331%2Fdownload&usg=AOvVaw2c6NekvllcmytW9SI497Hk
Reply 4
You need to cut those working hours in half.

Have a look at working migrants scheme for students. You can apply for a maintenance grant plus work. If you are working for a big supermarket, then there should be flexibility to cut hours. You also have experience.

Working migrant allows you to apply for maintenance from SFE as long as you work 24 hours+ and £,7,500 +.

What kind of work must I be doing? You must be working in the UK, and you could be working full time or part time. You can be working for an employer or self-employed. However, Student Finance England has a benchmark of a minimum annual income of £7,500 and working for at least 24 hours a week to qualify as a Migrant Worker.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJ7fCYwMDZAhVHJ1AKHXoVAd0QFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westminster.ac.uk%2Ffile%2F56331%2Fdownload&usg=AOvVaw2c6NekvllcmytW9SI497Hk

" Additionally, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course. Temporary absences outside of the UK/EEA may be ignored, and you can be ordinarily resident in more than one place at the same time, but Student Finance England will require evidence of this.

So if you first started living in England after 1 September of the year you started your course, you will not be able to qualify as a Migrant Worker for your current course even if you start working."
This was on the doc you sent me.

They are currently short on staff meaning that I cant cut hours. They hired me because they needed a full time position...
Original post by marfeni
" Additionally, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course. Temporary absences outside of the UK/EEA may be ignored, and you can be ordinarily resident in more than one place at the same time, but Student Finance England will require evidence of this.

So if you first started living in England after 1 September of the year you started your course, you will not be able to qualify as a Migrant Worker for your current course even if you start working."
This was on the doc you sent me.

They are currently short on staff meaning that I cant cut hours. They hired me because they needed a full time position...

Not sure what your point is. Are you saying you didnt come to the UK before 1 Sept in the year you started your course?

Just apply for another job and if you get offered it then switch.
this doesn't sound like something you can do long-term, you will feel exhausted and your grades will suffer, they are important. I'd suggest finding another job with better working hours, you can try and get organised about this but I doubt it will work for long
Have you checked your SU's job listings for more student-friendly work?
Reply 8
Not sure what your point is. Are you saying you didnt come to the UK before 1 Sept in the year you started your course?

Just apply for another job and if you get offered it then switch.

I've been trying to apply for another job (with low effort) but I'm just 18 and most of them pay the minimum of £5.7 hour and part-time with 5.7 instead of the 7.83 that I'm getting in this place is a big difference...
Reply 9
Original post by bubblegumcat
this doesn't sound like something you can do long-term, you will feel exhausted and your grades will suffer, they are important. I'd suggest finding another job with better working hours, you can try and get organized about this but I doubt it will work for long

There are people with own business working like crazy and sleeping an average of 5hours ... My problem with another job is the "experience" and the money they will pay me since I'm just 18yo...
I know that it sounds like a bunch of excuses but for me working (even 40h) feels normal... Colleagues, customers start to know you better and things flow even more naturally.

It's true that my attendance is low due to the fact that is way too hard to wake up with 4h of sleep after 10h of work but I think its a matter of discipline...
I have to admit...I really do admire the people that work this hard and have the ambition to go to school to get an education.
However, this may seem like too much. Why is a shift 10 hours? Are you getting overtime because 8 hours is supposed to be the norm (in my country at least).
I work 7-8 hours a week (Sundays only) and even I can't handle it and feel like it's taking away time away from my studies.

I would really suggest you could cut those hours down or get another job. Search and you will find one that suits your schedule.

Original post by marfeni

How??? I don't get it.
Reply 11
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Have you checked your SU's job listings for more student-friendly work?

Before I got this job I did check for the SU's job listings and I applied for some but without any success. Maybe I should do it now but like I said in the previous replies, work is flowing and in the end, I don't feel psychologically or physically tired like in the beginning. And me having social anxiety being in a place where I see frequent customers and co-workers that start to get along with me is really good...
Reply 12
Original post by daniel_floyd_
I have to admit...I really do admire the people that work this hard and have the ambition to go to school to get an education.
However, this may seem like too much. Why is a shift 10 hours? Are you getting overtime because 8 hours is supposed to be the norm (in my country at least).
I work 7-8 hours a week (Sundays only) and even I can't handle it and feel like it's taking away time away from my studies.

I would really suggest you could cut those hours down or get another job. Search and you will find one that suits your schedule.

How??? I don't get it.

Yes, in my country 8hours is the maximum as well but here seems to be pretty normal. I do 10h and break of 30min instead of the 8h and 1h break in my country.

About the second part. I do procrastinate a lot, and adhd adding to the problem. I usually study 1 day before each test or 1-2 for reports and essays and get the minimums (of course I would love to change this but it has been tough...)
So working does affect my time to study but not that much considering my (lack of) effort to be a better student.
Reply 13
Original post by marfeni
I've been trying to apply for another job (with low effort) but I'm just 18 and most of them pay the minimum of £5.7 hour and part-time with 5.7 instead of the 7.83 that I'm getting in this place is a big difference...

I really feel sorry for you but you need to somehow balance your work and studies. I myself work 24 hours every weekend, barely getting by but student loan money helps a bit.

I was with the same course with someone who is the exactly the same situation as you 1 year ago. He managed to cope for about 5 months but had to quit because he could not take it anymore. Were doing computer science degree.

He now works somewhere, full time with minimum wage salary.
Reply 14
Original post by Mr. red
I really feel sorry for you but you need to somehow balance your work and studies. I myself work 24 hours every weekend, barely getting by but student loan money helps a bit.

I was with the same course with someone who is the exactly the same situation as you 1 year ago. He managed to cope for about 5 months but had to quit because he could not take it anymore. Were doing computer science degree.

He now works somewhere, full time with minimum wage salary.

I'm a European student and therefore I cant get the maintenance loan... (at least I have the student finance).
I'm trying to save a bit so I can transfer to my own country account so I can help my parents(they are not that poor but I want my sister to have a good education and life without my parents to struggle)...

Yeah... I studied programming before in secondary school, I can imagine computer science to be mentally exhausting... I'm on Business Management and knowing both sides this is way more tolerable (the bad part is that I have a completely different background in programming and not in stuff like economy)
Original post by marfeni

You failed to address my initial question which was a response to your query re the migrants scheme.
Grades don't matter in the 1st year. In the 2nd year cut your hours in half so your grades aren't disadvantaged.
Reply 17
You failed to address my initial question which was a response to your query re the migrants scheme.

Sorry! About the document you sent me it says the following:

Do I need to be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England on the first day of the first academic year of the course?
Yes, in order to qualify as an EEA Migrant Worker you must be living in England on the 1st September of the first academic year of the course. (Which I did) Additionally, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course. (I needed to be living here for 3 years) Temporary absences outside of the UK/EEA may be ignored, and you can be ordinarily resident in more than one place at the same time, but Student Finance England will require evidence of this.
Reply 18
Original post by rickyrossman
Grades don't matter in the 1st year. In the 2nd year cut your hours in half so your grades aren't disadvantaged.

I don't know if I would benefit from that... Like I said, I quite struggle to get good grades even not working...
Original post by marfeni
Sorry! About the document you sent me it says the following:

Do I need to be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England on the first day of the first academic year of the course?
Yes, in order to qualify as an EEA Migrant Worker you must be living in England on the 1st September of the first academic year of the course. (Which I did) Additionally, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course. (I needed to be living here for 3 years) Temporary absences outside of the UK/EEA may be ignored, and you can be ordinarily resident in more than one place at the same time, but Student Finance England will require evidence of this.

You are an EU citizen?
Did you arrive to live in this country before 1 Sept 2017?
Were you living with the EEA in the previous three years i.e back to 1 Sept 2014?

Yes they will require evidence.

Many EU students use this method to get a maintenance grant.

Quick Reply

Latest