The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peeked
So you use the AQA one? Is it useful?

I only just got an account this week so I can't really give you an honest, comprehensive review. I am extremely sorry. Maybe @thekidwhogames can give a full review?
Original post by Ihatelife2
I only just got an account this week so I can't really give you an honest, comprehensive review. I am extremely sorry. Maybe @thekidwhogames can give a full review?

No worries, I’ll ask him :smile:
also have any of you ever used a site called ‘Tassomai’ for science? It does do ocr 21st c
Original post by peeked
also have any of you ever used a site called ‘Tassomai’ for science? It does do ocr 21st c

in our scl only certain classes use it due to underfunding
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
in our scl only certain classes use it due to underfunding

Is it good??
Original post by peeked
Is it good??

From what I've heard its really good. It basically breaks down the spec and gives you quizes
Update:
- I think I will change my modules for FM. I've done the mechanics but I think I'll change it to FP1-FP3, S2-S3-D1. I'll either take FP1-FP3, S2-S3-D1 or FP1-FP3, S2-M2-M3 but my statistics is far better than my physics and D1 is quite simple so I may do that (to ensure high UMS for Oxbridge later on) and focus on other stuff like STEP
- Next week, got Physics GCSE Olympiad and then IMOK week after
- Got some tests next week (Comp, Eng, Psychology and a big science mock soon)
Original post by thekidwhogames
Update:
- I think I will change my modules for FM. I've done the mechanics but I think I'll change it to FP1-FP3, S2-S3-D1. I'll either take FP1-FP3, S2-S3-D1 or FP1-FP3, S2-M2-M3 but my statistics is far better than my physics and D1 is quite simple so I may do that (to ensure high UMS for Oxbridge later on) and focus on other stuff like STEP

Thought all of you guys gave up on physics olympiad
Original post by Ihatelife2
Thought all of you guys gave up on physics olympiad

Nah, I'd really like to do it even though we haven't done any actual Physics in school for a lot of time xD
Reply 169
Your schedule must be crazy, how do you manage to fit everything into one day and how many hours a day do u normally revise? honestly I admire your work ethic.
Original post by Keslo
Your schedule must be crazy, how do you manage to fit everything into one day and how many hours a day do u normally revise? honestly I admire your work ethic.

Honestly, I don't fit anything in xD

I do 15 hours of Maths A level study every Saturday and on the week-days, I do 3 hours of Olympiad Maths, 2 hours of science revision and an hour of homework. On Sundays, I do 2 hours English, 1 hour for each French/Computing and 3 hours of science revision.

I do 15 hours of Maths A level study every Saturday and on the week-days, I do 3 hours of Olympiad Maths, 2 hours of science revision and an hour of homework. On Sundays, I do 2 hours English, 1 hour for each French/Computing and 3 hours of science revision.

That is a lot!!! Do you have any other hobbies, i.e. music/sport? And isn't Physics olympiad for A levels?
Original post by Angel_Chen
That is a lot!!! Do you have any other hobbies, i.e. music/sport? And isn't Physics olympiad for A levels?

Ah no :frown: I'm terrible at sport and even worse at music. Yeah that's right but they have a GCSE one too.
Reply 173

Jesus 15 hours of maths in a day must be a killer, i struggle to do more than 2 hours of additional maths.
I just wanted to say thanks so much for telling us the methods you use to revise, due to it i bought mygcsescience and some past papers and now my grade in science went from a high 6/low 7 to a solid 8. Best of luck in the future man.
Original post by Keslo
Jesus 15 hours of maths in a day must be a killer, i struggle to do more than 2 hours of additional maths.
I just wanted to say thanks so much for telling us the methods you use to revise, due to it i bought mygcsescience and some past papers and now my grade in science went from a high 6/low 7 to a solid 8. Best of luck in the future man.

No problem - glad to be of help! You do FMSQ Additional Maths? It's very respected and will make transition to A level smooth! Good luck to you too!
Update:

You don't get to choose which applied modules go in Maths and which in F Maths - the exam board do that for you.
Ah no :frown: I'm terrible at sport and even worse at music. Yeah that's right but they have a GCSE one too.

Just checked the website, you had to hand in the entry yesterday :frown: R u entering? Also what's your favourite science?
Original post by Muttley79
You don't get to choose which applied modules go in Maths and which in F Maths - the exam board do that for you.

Yeah, I'm aware they shuffle them about to get the best grade or something but I meant those are the modules I studied when I started to study FM and Maths. Sorry for the confusion.
Original post by Angel_Chen
Just checked the website, you had to hand in the entry yesterday :frown: R u entering? Also what's your favourite science?

Yeah, my teacher entered me. My favorite science is Physics closely followed by Chemistry. You?
Yeah, my teacher entered me. My favorite science is Physics closely followed by Chemistry. You?

Chemistry then physics, which is why I'm having a hard time chooing for a levels. I understand chemistry at the moment better, but because physcis a level is 40% maths I feel like it would be a better chose. So my school says if timetabling allows, I can do both then drop one in the 1st month. Both are gradae 9 standard though. I know my school does the science olympiads at a level, it probably isn't worth doing anyways, I haven't finished the specification yet for anything other than maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending