The Student Room Group

Chinese/Asians

It comes to my attention that seems not many people actually know not all Chinese is from China? I mean Chinese can also be a type of ethnicity, they can be coming from other countries as well.

And Southeast Asia country like Malaysia is having several ethnicities like Chinese,Indians and Malays.
Original post by Isoshu
It comes to my attention that seems not many people actually know not all Chinese is from China? I mean Chinese can also be a type of ethnicity, they can be coming from other countries as well.

And Southeast Asia country like Malaysia is having several ethnicities like Chinese,Indians and Malays.

Oh, so what countries other than China do Chinese people come from?

As an Asian myself I find that living in the U.K., people indeed don't understand or don't care or use it against you.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Oh, so what countries other than China do Chinese people come from?

As an Asian myself I find that living in the U.K., people indeed don't understand or don't care or use it against you.

Well, the OP gave examples such as Malaysia.

I guess you've also got places like Taiwan, Hong Kong. Laos?
If i had a penny for every time someone thought i was from China, I'd be a millionaire
Original post by Greatleysteg
Well, the OP gave examples such as Malaysia.

I guess you've also got places like Taiwan, Hong Kong. Laos?

So... people who are of Chinese descent but live in another country? Or is it deeper than that?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
So... people who are of Chinese descent but live in another country? Or is it deeper than that?

No, I think you're right. Of Chinese descent, but living in even born in, and hold the nationality of another country. Hence, ethnically Chinese.
Reply 6
Yea
But my friends did encounter some incidents where they were told by some people( but so far only black people I dont know why) in UK that they don’t like China. We are chinese but not from China haha. But I think it may be because of that person’s personal issue, can’t really generalize the whole society in uk 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Greatleysteg
No, I think you're right. Of Chinese descent, but living in even born in, and hold the nationality of another country. Hence, ethnically Chinese.

Yepp
Reply 8
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
If i had a penny for every time someone thought i was from China, I'd be a millionaire

HAHA so where are u from then?

Quick Reply

Latest