The Student Room Group

How do you answer the 40 mark question for english??

please, i'm struggling cause we've never been taught.
Reply 1
literature or language?
for literature: - the 40 mark will be on either to kill a mockingbird or of mice and men - ill assume ur doing of mice and men- it will ask u two questions on each book - one on theme and one on how they portray one or two specific characters (like Crooks and Curley's wife) - you choose one, whichever one looks more writeable.

Write 6 paragraphs - 1 intro, conclusion, and 4 main body paragraphs:
For q's along the line of "What makes X's portrayal of Y and Z interesting", then your structure should be :
- Intro - Character Y - Character Y - Character Z - Character Z - Conclusion (don't introduce any new points here, just get a good summarisation of your points)

For q's along the line of "How does X (author) portray the theme of Y?", you should talk about characters in the book who relate to the theme the most (i.e. in of Mice and Men, Curley's wife, Crooks and Candy/George are arguably the greatest sufferers of the book). Then move on to talk about symbolism, imagery and other stuff like that. I cannot stress how important it is to include context points however, so please learn as much as you can about, i.e. what the author is trying to say about society in the times.

To get high marks you should be including context points, i.e. talking about post-depression America in 1930s and the 'American Dream', stylistic, structural and linguistic features (imagery, repetition, symbolism blah blah). But none of this is really possible if you don't learn quotes. So make sure you learn at least 4-5 quotes for EVERY character in your book, and if possible learn a group of quotes related to the possible themes in your book. This will make life so much easier in the test - if they really do let you have a copy of your respective book, by the time you find a decent quote 20 minutes will have passed by.

For each point (1 paragraph = 1 point) you make, make sure it is really fleshed out. Go as in depth as you can, following the PQE (Point, Quotation, Evidence), with the addition of contextual points (which make up for basically 40-50% of your marks, so don't forget to mention them). Don't repeat points, as this will lose you content marks, and if you start really running out of time, its better to make 2 really good, meaty, paragraphs with good analysis than rush 4 - examiners can easily tell if your rushing.
QUALITY > QUANTITY

You have 45 minutes to do this question, and you should be writing around 2-3 pages. Question 4 is always the most important, so I advise that you prioritise it when managing time in the test - if you feel like your short of time and you're still into question 3, remember that an extra paragraph or 2 on a 30 mark question will not affect your mark as much as a 40 mark question, so just make sure you have something written down.

If you're talking about Q4 of Language Paper 1/2, then ask me and I will gladly reply. BTW i'm in y11 too, pls don't get stressed out about it as long as you work hard. I'm sure your teacher will cover it soon, unless ur in a srsly dysfunctional school
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jpark510
literature or language?for literature: - the 40 mark will be on either to kill a mockingbird or of mice and men - ill assume ur doing of mice and men- it will ask u two questions on each book - one on theme and one on how they portray one or two specific characters (like Crooks and Curley's wife)Write 6 Paragraphs - 1 intro, conclusion, and 4 main body paragraphsTo get high marks you should be including context points, i.e. talking about post-depression America in 1930s and the 'American Dream' (

thank you vey much! Yeah it's for literature but we're doing Silas Marner.
Reply 3
Original post by cal_ya_pal
thank you vey much! Yeah it's for literature but we're doing Silas Marner.

I updated my reply, read the rest. I'm sure it's the same for Silas Marner too :smile: gl with ur exams and ask me more q's if u have any
Reply 4
Original post by jpark510
I updated my reply, read the rest. I'm sure it's the same for Silas Marner too :smile: gl with ur exams and ask me more q's if u have any

Thanks, I had my exam today and it went really well!
Reply 5
Original post by cal_ya_pal
Thanks, I had my exam today and it went really well!

I'm sure it did, as did mine! Let's all go for a 9 :wink::smile:
Original post by imdeded
literature or language?
for literature: - the 40 mark will be on either to kill a mockingbird or of mice and men - ill assume ur doing of mice and men- it will ask u two questions on each book - one on theme and one on how they portray one or two specific characters (like Crooks and Curley's wife) - you choose one, whichever one looks more writeable.

Write 6 paragraphs - 1 intro, conclusion, and 4 main body paragraphs:
For q's along the line of "What makes X's portrayal of Y and Z interesting", then your structure should be :
- Intro - Character Y - Character Y - Character Z - Character Z - Conclusion (don't introduce any new points here, just get a good summarisation of your points)

For q's along the line of "How does X (author) portray the theme of Y?", you should talk about characters in the book who relate to the theme the most (i.e. in of Mice and Men, Curley's wife, Crooks and Candy/George are arguably the greatest sufferers of the book). Then move on to talk about symbolism, imagery and other stuff like that. I cannot stress how important it is to include context points however, so please learn as much as you can about, i.e. what the author is trying to say about society in the times.

To get high marks you should be including context points, i.e. talking about post-depression America in 1930s and the 'American Dream', stylistic, structural and linguistic features (imagery, repetition, symbolism blah blah). But none of this is really possible if you don't learn quotes. So make sure you learn at least 4-5 quotes for EVERY character in your book, and if possible learn a group of quotes related to the possible themes in your book. This will make life so much easier in the test - if they really do let you have a copy of your respective book, by the time you find a decent quote 20 minutes will have passed by.

For each point (1 paragraph = 1 point) you make, make sure it is really fleshed out. Go as in depth as you can, following the PQE (Point, Quotation, Evidence), with the addition of contextual points (which make up for basically 40-50% of your marks, so don't forget to mention them). Don't repeat points, as this will lose you content marks, and if you start really running out of time, its better to make 2 really good, meaty, paragraphs with good analysis than rush 4 - examiners can easily tell if your rushing.
QUALITY > QUANTITY

You have 45 minutes to do this question, and you should be writing around 2-3 pages. Question 4 is always the most important, so I advise that you prioritise it when managing time in the test - if you feel like your short of time and you're still into question 3, remember that an extra paragraph or 2 on a 30 mark question will not affect your mark as much as a 40 mark question, so just make sure you have something written down.

If you're talking about Q4 of Language Paper 1/2, then ask me and I will gladly reply. BTW i'm in y11 too, pls don't get stressed out about it as long as you work hard. I'm sure your teacher will cover it soon, unless ur in a srsly dysfunctional school

Hey Im really struggling for the Q3 & Q4 in the language paper i dont know what to write in any please help!
Reply 7
Original post by Meymunah_16
Hey Im really struggling for the Q3 & Q4 in the language paper i dont know what to write in any please help!

Make a separate thread in the English forum, this one is a year old.

Quick Reply

Latest