The Student Room Group

Physical Natural Sciences?

Hi there.

I'm in Year 12 and want to apply for Natural Sciences. I have more of an interest in Physical Natural Sciences than in Biological NS (although I still enjoy Biological), but I have virtually incompatible A-Levels.

My parents wanted me to be a doctor and I foolishly gave in to their demands. So I chose Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Levels. However, I argued with my parents and have finally chosen my own future so I'm no longer bonded to being a doctor. But I'm still stuck with these A-Levels. I've asked to change subjects but the school says it's too late to do that. I've even considered taking a gap year but my parents strictly refuse.

So I know I won't be able to directly apply for Physical Natural Sciences but is there any way I will be able to study Physics/Astrophysics at least once along the course?

I don't feel the freedom I wish I had but at least I don't have to become a doctor anymore :smile:

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Original post by Gabzinc
Hi there.

I'm in Year 12 and want to apply for Natural Sciences. I have more of an interest in Physical Natural Sciences than in Biological NS (although I still enjoy Biological), but I have virtually incompatible A-Levels.

My parents wanted me to be a doctor and I foolishly gave in to their demands. So I chose Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Levels. However, I argued with my parents and have finally chosen my own future so I'm no longer bonded to being a doctor. But I'm still stuck with these A-Levels. I've asked to change subjects but the school says it's too late to do that. I've even considered taking a gap year but my parents strictly refuse.

So I know I won't be able to directly apply for Physical Natural Sciences but is there any way I will be able to study Physics/Astrophysics at least once along the course?

I don't feel the freedom I wish I had but at least I don't have to become a doctor anymore :smile:

Thanks for reading.

The Physical v Biological route is purely for the admissions process and to help assign interviewers as appropriate. If you are accepted you can choose whatever modules you want to, so long as you have any required subjects for each module.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences/part1a

However you can't study 1A Physics without Physics A-level (unless you have FM with 3 mechanics units).

So yes I suspect you wouldn't be able to study Part II Physics or Astrophysics without Physics IA and therefore Physics A-level.
Part II Astrophysics requirements: https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/subject-information/part2/astro

The other route is via the Maths Tripos, but that would require you to study Further Maths.

Perhaps @Peterhouse Admissions can confirm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
The Physical v Biological route is purely for the admissions process and to help assign interviewers as appropriate. If you are accepted you can choose whatever modules you want to, so long as you have any required subjects for each module.

However you can't study 1A Physics without Physics A-level (unless you have FM with 3 mechanics units).

So yes I suspect you wouldn't be able to study Part II Physics or Astrophysics without Physics IA and therefore Physics A-level.
Part II Astrophysics requirements: https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/subject-information/part2/astro

The other route is via the Maths Tripos, but that would require you to study Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Juuuuuust lovely.
Well, thanks for the swift reply and information. Looks like Physics at post-grad it is then. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gabzinc
Juuuuuust lovely.
Well, thanks for the swift reply and information. Looks like Physics at post-grad it is then. :smile:

Hmm, you would probably need Physics (or Maths) BSc to study it at MSc.

You possibly could self-teach the A-level.
Reply 5
Hmm, you would probably need Physics (or Maths) BSc to study it at MSc.

You possibly could self-teach the A-level.

Teaching myself the A-Level is feasible, especially with help of TSR when I get stuck, but no way I'll be able to pay for those exams, theyre expensive with a capital E :biggrin:

Foundation year physics seems enticing, might have a look at that.
Reply 6
Original post by Gabzinc
no way I'll be able to pay for those exams, theyre expensive with a capital E :biggrin:

Cheaper than a £9k (+ maintenance) foundation year...

:wink:

Seriously though, have a talk with your parents. They presumably know you aren't going for medicine now, so it's in their interests to support you through this change in your direction.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Natural Sciences is one course and students can study any of the options they are qualified for. OP's A levels would mean that they coudln't study physics, but would have options across both biological and physical sciences. The course website has more details:
https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/

A note to all to remember that physics is a physical science but not the only one. Physical Natural Sciences is not just physics and students have to study a range of experimental sciences, at least in the first year.
Reply 8
Cheaper than a £9k (+ maintenance) foundation year...

:wink:

Seriously though, have a talk with your parents. They presumably know you aren't going for medicine now, so it's in their interests to support you through this change in your direction.

Good luck :smile:

My parents seem to be okay (albeit a little disappointed) with me changing my direction. Sorry to bump this topic, but do you know of anywhere I could take the exam for A-Level Physics + practicals?
Reply 9
Original post by Gabzinc
My parents seem to be okay (albeit a little disappointed) with me changing my direction. Sorry to bump this topic, but do you know of anywhere I could take the exam for A-Level Physics + practicals?

Well that's very good news :smile:

What about your school? If you have your parents support they should at least let you sit the exams and practical.

If not, which exam board?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Well that's very good news :smile:

What about your school? If you have your parents support they should at least let you sit the exams and practical.

If not, which exam board?

I actually didn't think about my school, come to think about it. Perhaps because I asked whether I could switch to Physics from Biology and they (my school) said no which made me think they would not let me sit it there at all. Either way they do WJEC/educas, an exam board I'm not too fond of. Though if it saves my parents £££'s then I'll try.

I would prefer AQA, Edexcel or OCR if I could choose though (in that order)
Reply 11
Original post by Gabzinc
I actually didn't think about my school, come to think about it. Perhaps because I asked whether I could switch to Physics from Biology and they (my school) said no which made me think they would not let me sit it there at all. Either way they do WJEC/educas, an exam board I'm not too fond of. Though if it saves my parents £££'s then I'll try.

I would prefer AQA, Edexcel or OCR if I could choose though (in that order)

You can look for external exam centres on each of the exam board's sites
eg. https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.html/student

But definitely start with you school :wink:
Reply 12
You can look for external exam centres on each of the exam board's sites
eg. https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.html/student

But definitely start with you school :wink:

There seem to be few around me and none of their centre's websites mention anything about sitting A-Levels :/

Today I had no idea I had missed an opportunity. My school still offers Further Maths places (the physics natsci page requires maths + fm or maths + phys) but literally today the last mechanics place was taken up. Now there is only stats which cambridge don't seem to care about, and my school won't let me study fm w/ mechanics, or physics there. :P
Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for helping!
Reply 13
Original post by Gabzinc
There seem to be few around me and none of their centre's websites mention anything about sitting A-Levels :/

Today I had no idea I had missed an opportunity. My school still offers Further Maths places (the physics natsci page requires maths fm or maths phys) but literally today the last mechanics place was taken up. Now there is only stats which cambridge don't seem to care about, and my school won't let me study fm w/ mechanics, or physics there. :P
Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for helping!

If it's FM it's fine.

Edit: sorry I see what you mean. Have you talked to them about your need to do mechanics?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending