The Student Room Group

Donald Trump officially ranked by presidential historians as the worst president ever

Scroll to see replies

How can Trump be rated? He hasn't done anything yet.
Reply 21
Original post by ByEeek
How can Trump be rated? He hasn't done anything yet.

Apart from lie in bed all day and post things on Twitter
Original post by IDOZ
Apart from lie in bed all day and post things on Twitter

That's not strictly true.
Reply 23
Original post by Less(e/o)n
That's not strictly true.

I was exaggerating.
I have read the extract of the book

Here:
MOST of the day
He's the worst president because he isn't actually a president. He doesn't listen to briefings, he ignores his intelligence chiefs, and makes policy decisions based on what fools that landed in the WH tell him to do. He has no grasp of the country he's running or the world around it and can't see beyond his own insecurities. He's made telling the truth an achievement, allowed the public revival of nazis and other hate groups, tried to ban a religion within the first week of office and worst of all has laid the foundation for his insanity to become the norm in America's future. When you have a bunch of people who will support them no matter what and one of only two political parties who are either too weak or too evil to stand up to him and keep him from behaving like a demented child, then yeah I'd say he's been in office long enough to be the worst president.
Original post by ed98
Tl;dr. I don’t like Trump at all but how can they rank a president who has only served 1/4 of their term? Doesn’t seem fair to me.

Plus academics have an implicit bias towards Trump as they tend to be left wing. My guess is this list was just drawn up by people who hate Trump no matter what he does and other left wing academics just furiously nodded along in complete agreement.

In other words it is pure BS.

Yeah, it's as if they were all expecting him to be great in the first place. It is impossible not to feel some for the man when he keeps annoying one's own brand of annoyables.
This is just stupid anti-Trumpism because of the current trend of people believing that they can bring about change by wanting it badly enough, quite regardless of the machinery of democracy (qv Brexit).

Certainly, Trump does not seem to be a good President - but "worst ever" is just dumb.

How about every Democratic President prior to the Civil War? How about Nixon? How about LBJ? These are terrible Presidents who did actual terrible things, rather than just being hated by on side of the political spectrum.
Original post by alexschmalex
He's the worst president because he isn't actually a president. He doesn't listen to briefings, he ignores his intelligence chiefs, and makes policy decisions based on what fools that landed in the WH tell him to do. He has no grasp of the country he's running or the world around it and can't see beyond his own insecurities. He's made telling the truth an achievement, allowed the public revival of nazis and other hate groups, tried to ban a religion within the first week of office and worst of all has laid the foundation for his insanity to become the norm in America's future. When you have a bunch of people who will support them no matter what and one of only two political parties who are either too weak or too evil to stand up to him and keep him from behaving like a demented child, then yeah I'd say he's been in office long enough to be the worst president.

All valid points of why he is a bad president, bottom 10 maybe, but the worst ever when the US has had presidents who plunged the US into civil wars ripping the country apart killing 700,000, leading America into the great depression with unemployment at 25% has to surpass Trump as more destructive no matter how much of a weirdo he is.
There is no objective way of measuring such things, just a bunch of so-called political scientists playing with themselves and who cares what they make of it. Totally inconsequential to the rest of the world.
But he'll win again if half the idiotic US get their way.
Truman 6th and Obama 8th what the heck
Another reason why I'm skeptical of Obama being ranked 8th, is if you were compare him legislatively and policy wise to David Cameron, they're actually very similar:

- David Cameron also dug the UK out of the a hole from the great recession
- David Cameron also halved unemployment
- David Cameron also escalated the war in Afghanistan, before gradually drawing it down
- David Cameron also pulled troops out of Iraq
- David Cameron also helped spearhead the Iran nuclear deal
- David Cameron also signed up to the Paris Climate agreement
- David Cameron also passed gay marriage and lgbt laws
- David Cameron also doubled the stock market (FTSE 100, going 3,500 to nearly 7,000)

So aside from Obama's healthcare law (which still leaves about 30-40 million uninsured), they're almost identical in many ways, but who ranks David Cameron as one of Britain's greatest ever prime ministers? I know he's been ruined since because of Brexit but before Brexit, most people wouldn't have taken you seriously if you suggested he was all time great prime minister.

So leaves us the big elephant in the living room as to why Obama is ranked as high as he is, well you assume two things:

- Exceptionally charismatic (this I give him credit for because he is a superb orator, perhaps the greatest they've had)
- First black president (undoubtedly is a wonderful moment in US history, but he shouldn't be ranked for that).
It's really no surprise, but it is too early to start rating him.
Original post by Sharpshooter
44th: Donald Trump

Should I be surprised :lol::lol::lol::lol:
because its a popular opinion
Original post by RoyalSheepy
It's really no surprise, but it is too early to start rating him.

It is when it comes from scholar's,I would expect Trump to top public opinion polls, because a lot of American's don't know history, but scholar's do.

As I say ranked worse than people like James Buchanan, who led the country to rip itself apart into a civil war with states succeeding, killing 700,000? Herbert Hoover who plunged the US into the great depression (the greatest economic disaster ever), leaving unemployment at 25%, worse than Franklin Pierce who expanded slavery into the mid-west? Worse than GW Bush who went to war over false pretenses killing 5,000 US troops and 100,000+ civilians, tortured, established Gitmo, and gave us the worse economic disaster in 80 years?

He's a bad president, but his administration doesn't rank as the most the destructive, nowhere near close.
Original post by Sharpshooter
So leaves us the big elephant in the living room as to why Obama is ranked as high as he is, well you assume two things:

- Exceptionally charismatic (this I give him credit for because he is a superb orator, perhaps the greatest they've had)
- First black president (undoubtedly is a wonderful moment in US history, but he shouldn't be ranked for that).

Actually, I don't think it's as much those things as it is simply rose-tinted glasses. They're comparing what they have now to what they just lost. Inevitably, that'll cause a bump for Obama. He looks amazing when compared to the orange nutjob.
Original post by Drewski
Actually, I don't think it's as much those things as it is simply rose-tinted glasses. They're comparing what they have now to what they just lost. Inevitably, that'll cause a bump for Obama. He looks amazing when compared to the orange nutjob.

There's definitely an argument that's the possibly the case as George W Bush has also noticeably risen sharply, ranked 30th nearer the middle now, previously he was ranked near 40th. I honestly can't think of anything positive about Bush's presidency given he left his party in ashes handed Obama a super majority and finished with approval rating's in the mid 20's.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Caesar333
And how exactly is Obama overrated? He took a country out of a deep recession that was losing 800,000 jobs every month at its worst into a country thats now achieving modest levels of growth. Only argument against is his horrible foreign policy.

Trump did more for the economy just by being elected than Obama did. Businessmen were tired of the uncertainty and relieved when when a capitalist was elected to the White House.
Reply 39
Original post by yankeedog1953
Trump did more for the economy just by being elected than Obama did. Businessmen were tired of the uncertainty and relieved when when a capitalist was elected to the White House.

Yes, he oversaw one of the worst reversals in the stock markets history, amazing right?
Equally how is he a capitalist? Mercantile maybe but hardly a capitalist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending