The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of studying Law at Cambridge University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gjd800
That is sad. And it's letting kids down, actually. Pfft.

Yeah, I won a couple. Parents were pleased but I was more bothered about using the small cash rewards to 'buy reading materials' to go get leathered instead :laugh:

I remember being told by a friend in the year above that the highest scoring chemical engineering graduate at Imperial got given £2,000 by some oil company and asked him to not forget the favour they did for him.

seems dodgy as hell, but that's what you cash prize reminded me of :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I remember being told by a friend in the year above that the highest scoring chemical engineering graduate at Imperial got given £2,000 by some oil company and asked him to not forget the favour they did for him.

seems dodgy as hell, but that's what you cash prize reminded me of :biggrin:

Bloody hell! I got like 20 quid and then 30 quid :laugh:
Apart from Oxbridge, UCL and LSE, aren't the rest giving offers to most applicants who apply in the first place? In that instance, A*AA is probably harder to achieve than getting the offer itself? I'm surprised Nottingham isn't higher, given that it's one of the best unis in the world as confirmed by a previous thread :smile: Also, is A*A*B included in these stats given?

It's funny because the A*/A attainment rates are at their lowest ever, since the 1990s.

Liverpool is forever getting ****ed on this forum. Not to mention those 9% could've used UCAS adjustment to go to better law schools; clearly they don't care and good for them haha.

Shush, don't say that around gjd! You'll hurt his feelings. Liverpool is a very good uni!

I think the reason people go to Liverpool or Exeter with those grades is because of local ties or genuine interest in the city. Also the consideration of whether it is better to be someone who is exceptional at Liverpool or OK at UCL. There used to be a couple years ago a poster who quit Oxford a few weeks in, went to Bath, and left with an 80%. Now they're at a top-tier MC firm! Would they have similar success with a 65% from Oxford? You have to ask yourself that.

None of this is to do with the humanities vs STEM point. It is 3am and I am just rambling at this stage. KCL has as low an offer rate as UCL and LSE. Durham's is much higher, but still in the 60% range. Durham attracts a lot of weird people, maybe like the Bath and Liverpool lot, so you don't know the quality of students who are being rejected there. They could be very highly qualified indeed. Or Durham could simply know that a lot of people applying there would be putting LSE and Oxbridge as a firm, and to even getting close to fill their numbers, they need to give a host of very good students offers. Again rambling but there's a cogent point there somewhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Bloody hell! I got like 20 quid and then 30 quid :laugh:

Really? I would've thought it'd be a couple hundred quid.

Then again, some places just give out certificates, so a bit of money is better than no money (naturally).
Reply 44

Then again, some places just give out certificates, so a bit of money is better than no money (naturally).

Yeah!

It is, of course. Wasn;t going to (seriously) complain but it was funny that had I used the money for its intended purpose, it would not have paid for even a single book that I needed going into my MA :laugh:

I do have a habit of dropping silly money on obscure Indian books, though, so maybe that's my fault more than theirs :laugh:

You lot also have an automatic scholarship of 5k or something, for students from low incomes. Anywhere else that would be merit-based; they've got money to burn.
Reply 46
Original post by Notoriety
Shush, don't say that around gjd! You'll hurt his feelings. Liverpool is a very good uni!

Take more than that - I couldn't really care less outside of my own narrow interests :laugh:

I think the reason people go to Liverpool or Exeter with those grades is because of local ties or genuine interest in the city. Also the consideration of whether it is better to be someone who is exceptional at Liverpool or OK at UCL. There used to be a couple years ago a poster who quit Oxford a few weeks in, went to Bath, and left with an 80%. Now they're at a top-tier MC firm! Would they have similar successful with a 65% from Oxford? You have to ask yourself that.

None of this is to do with the humanities vs STEM point. It is 3am and I am just rambling at this stage. KCL has as low an offer rate as UCL and LSE. Durham's is much higher, but still in the 60% range. Durham attracts a lot of weird people, maybe like the Bath and Liverpool lot, so you don't know the quality of students who are being rejected there. They could be very highly qualified indeed. Or Durham could simply know that a lot of people applying there would be putting LSE and Oxbridge as a firm, and to even getting close to fill their numbers, they need to give a host of very good students offers. Again rambling but there's a cogent point there somewhere.

gdj is good enough that he doesn't need his uni to back him, unlike so many people on this forum at times that use their grades/uni to justify an incorrect point. Subsequently, its okay for him to be liable to a bit of roasting.

Ah, so it does. Didn't expect that. Cant imagine how competitive these places are gonna get in a few decades.

I'll leave you to your sleep, biggie. :smile:
You lot also have an automatic scholarship of 5k or something, for students from low incomes. Anywhere else that would be merit-based; they've got money to burn.

Don't forget the fibre optic internet connection :biggrin:
Reply 49
I'm not arsed about opinions about the institutions - whatever they might be. It's the 16 year olds on here that have never set foot outside their 2 acre driveway banging on about how the city is a warzone that gets my back up, haha.
Original post by gjd800
Take more than that - I couldn't really care less outside of my own narrow interests :laugh:

Meh, there's been too many influentials from multiple unis for people to give a face value judgement of a person from there. Guess its just a consequence of correlation.

Here's hoping for distinction in the MA *fingers crossed emoji*

I'll leave you to your sleep, biggie. :smile:

Cheers. You too.

And congrats for seeing past the new name, and seeing the true me. Not everyone has been so perceptive, haha.

Original post by gjd800
I'm not arsed about opinions about the institutions - whatever they might be. It's the 16 year olds on here that have never set foot outside their 2 acre driveway banging on about how the city is a warzone that gets my back up, haha.

Liverpool is pretty dangerous. One time I was there on business and one of the yoofs spoke to me without addressing me as sir. I was horrified, of course. The only remedy was to throw my wallet and personal belongings to him and his compatriots, and hope they'd spare my life.
Reply 52
Cheers. You too.

And congrats for seeing past the new name, and seeing the true me. Not everyone has been so perceptive, haha.

Liverpool is pretty dangerous. One time I was there on business and one of the yoofs spoke to me without addressing me as sir. I was horrified, of course. The only remedy was to throw my wallet and personal belongings to him and his compatriots, and hope they'd spare my life.

:laugh:

I routinely walk about unmolested, which is a great inconvenience when you'd like to be molested.
Reply 53
Meh, there's been too many influentials from multiple unis for people to give a face value judgement of a person from there. Guess its just a consequence of correlation.

Here's hoping for distinction in the MA *fingers crossed emoji*

I guess. I don't really have an opinion on people's opinions of any universities, wherever and whatever they might be. I just don't care. Maybe that's a perspective that comes with age. What narks me most is people filling impressionable minds with *******s about how lawless my home city is. it's something I've put up with my entire life because every meff and his wife in the areas surrounding Liverpool have this weird fetishised fear of the place.

I did indeed get a distinction at MA (thanks like!), haha.
Original post by gjd800
:laugh:

I routinely walk about unmolested, which is a great inconvenience when you'd like to be molested.

Aye, sometimes they will only molest me when I strongly beseech them to do so. And often they do it in such a way that it is not enjoyable for me, which again just demonstrates their lack of civility.
Reply 55
Aye, sometimes they will only molest me when I strongly beseech them to do so. And often they do it in such a way that it is not enjoyable for me, which again just demonstrates their lack of civility.

You should go for a bevy in Wigan.
Original post by gjd800
You should go for a bevy in Wigan.

Haha, why's that?

I have to say that I do take great pleasure in the number of Wetherspoons I have drunk in in this great country, while on my travels. I won't quite be contented till I have done them all.
Reply 57
Haha, why's that?

I have to say that I do take great pleasure in the number of Wetherspoons I have drunk in in this great country, while on my travels. I won't quite be contented till I have done them all.

Another world, mate. Haha.

I actually like Wigan, good for music and that. But Wigan town on a Friday or Saturday... Christ.

Not a big Wetherspoons man myself, but stayed in one of their hotels (I didn't know they had hotels!) in Brum the other weekend and it was pretty good. Was meant to be watching bands and spent all but 4 hours of festival time in a boozer round the corner form the O2. Standard pisshead behaviour.
Original post by gjd800
Another world, mate. Haha.

I actually like Wigan, good for music and that. But Wigan town on a Friday or Saturday... Christ.

Not a big Wetherspoons man myself, but stayed in one of their hotels (I didn't know they had hotels!) in Brum the other weekend and it was pretty good. Was meant to be watching bands and spent all but 4 hours of festival time in a boozer round the corner form the O2. Standard pisshead behaviour.

Double cap'y morgan and coke, 3 quid. Can't argue with that. Also whenever someone mentions a city, you can always give them "oh yeah, I had several pints in the Wetherspoons next to the statue". You make friends for life with such a simple travelling tactic, my man.

Hahaha, fair enough. If I am ever unfortunate enough to be in the area, I'll give Wigan a bell. Done Manchester a few times, to mixed results. Probably not quite the same!
Reply 59
Double cap'y morgan and coke, 3 quid. Can't argue with that. Also whenever someone mentions a city, you can always give them "oh yeah, I had several pints in the Wetherspoons next to the statue". You make friends for life with such a simple travelling tactic, my man.

Hahaha, fair enough. If I am ever unfortunate enough to be in the area, I'll give Wigan a bell. Done Manchester a few times, to mixed results. Probably not quite the same!

This is true! I quite like Manc of a night but I only ever go to places where there's a band or some dodgy hip-hop thing, so different still haha.

Quick Reply

Latest