The Student Room Group

Year 12 Maths A Level (new spec) grade boundaries

What are the year 12 A Level Maths boundaries most likely going to be like this year? Any predictions?

I reckon you'll need around 80/100 for each paper for an A*, so a total of about 240/300 for an A* overall. Does this seem reasonable?

Also if you're currently doing it in year 12 now, what topics have you got left to do, and what marks are you guys getting in mocks?
Bump
Original post by CambridgeAppli
What are the year 12 A Level Maths boundaries most likely going to be like this year? Any predictions?

I reckon you'll need around 80/100 for each paper for an A*, so a total of about 240/300 for an A* overall. Does this seem reasonable?

Also if you're currently doing it in year 12 now, what topics have you got left to do, and what marks are you guys getting in mocks?

Nobody can claim to have a realistic idea what grade boundaries will be for a new specification never tested before. It's difficult to correctly predict them for an established specification sometimes. Look back at the 100s of predictions made for the new GCSE maths 9-1 specifications on TSR and they had virtually no similarity to boundaries that eventually appeared. On historic evidence, boundaries are generally low for the first exams of a new specification because nobody is quite prepared for what the examiners do. Roughly 80% is a reasonable guess. Neither of the schools I work in has done mocks yet and they have not decided what grade boundaries to use.
Original post by gdunne42
Nobody can claim to have a realistic idea what grade boundaries will be for a new specification never tested before. It's difficult to correctly predict them for an established specification sometimes. Look back at the 100s of predictions made for the new GCSE maths 9-1 specifications on TSR and they had virtually no similarity to boundaries that eventually appeared. On historic evidence, boundaries are generally low for the first exams of a new specification because nobody is quite prepared for what the examiners do. Roughly 80% is a reasonable guess. Neither of the schools I work in has done mocks yet and they have not decided what grade boundaries to use.

Fair point. Although I think this specification is more predictable, because the people sitting these exams are almost all further mathematicians. If the boundaries are "low" this year, are they going to be above or below 80%? Yeah I know you can't really predict, but surely the grade boundaries for the old spec are applicable (which I think you needed 80% for an A*...?)
Original post by CambridgeAppli
Fair point. Although I think this specification is more predictable, because the people sitting these exams are almost all further mathematicians. If the boundaries are "low" this year, are they going to be above or below 80%? Yeah I know you can't really predict, but surely the grade boundaries for the old spec are applicable (which I think you needed 80% for an A*...?)

You are trying to compare apples with oranges though.
You needed 80% overall that included 180/200 ums from c3
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply