The Student Room Group

Toys R Us goes into administration

It will continue trading for now but many jobs under threat https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43225248
I don't think it comes as much surprise, but a definite shame to see still.
Reply 2
Poor Geoffrey
Yeah. I agree. Not a surprise but a shame.
Apparently Maplins have also gone into Admin
Original post by Rock Fan
Apparently Maplins have also gone into Admin

Are they not owned by the same people which is why?
What a shame
In the unlikely event anyone has any gift vouchers, then use them.
If you buy anything from there, then use your credit card.
Do not use cash.

Shame for the staff, but failed to move with the times.

Cant compete with Amazon.
Did pay tax though.
Welp, there goes my childhood. Same with Maplin too (those little make-your-own-robot kits they sold were the best)
I feel for the people losing the jobs, but I have zero sympathy for the company. They were in a perfect position to modernise and did nothing. Won't be the last business to fail for this exact reason.

Maplin exactly the same. Remember going in there last summer on my lunch break because I needed something and it was on sale for £30. I went back to work and ordered the same thing on Amazon for £12. Now I accept there's a mark up for convenience, but 150%? I don't think so.
Reply 10
I'm surprised so many people are saying it is a shame. Have you been in one recently? They are a nightmare. You can't find what you want and when you do it is massively over priced. Everyone was sorry when Woolworth's went under but they clearly hadn't been inside one just before it went bump.
Original post by Rock Fan
It will continue trading for now but many jobs under threat https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43225248

And I'm sure the closing down sale prices will continue to be a rip-off...
Sad for those who lose their jobs. It is probably a reflection of youngsters now spending time on Xbox instead of traditional toys.
Everyone will be shopping at Amazon the monopoly they've got their hand in about everything now.

I remember the good old days when all deliveries were free then they increased it to £10 then £20..

Only have our greed to blame.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending