The Student Room Group

Why does the UK freak out when it snows?

I mean only in some places it’s not snowing as much at all but people are acting like there’s an avalanche trapping them inside.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe its because it hasnt snowed that much for a couple of years, except for last year
We're just very used to mild weather! Colder places may be used to it but us? Not particularly so.
Reply 3
Original post by farahhh24
We're just very used to mild weather! Colder places may be used to it but us? Not particularly so.

I feel like the weather is so odd though. There’s heatwaves, then storms and loads of rain and then snow but we’re never prepared or used to any of it 😂
Usually i agree, it's pathetic when people go into meltdown (no pun intended) over one flake. However it has actually been very heavy where i am at least this time
we're not very experienced with snow neither are we well equipped to deal with it so everyone just begins to panic :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Usually i agree, it's pathetic when people go into meltdown (no pun intended) over one flake. However it has actually been very heavy where i am at least this time

For places that have lots of snow I completely understand especially when it’s black ice but I’m in a place where the ground is dry but a few snowflakes started falling and people started really panicking
Reply 7
Meanwhile people in Canada are laughing at us.
The U.K. usually freaks out whenever it snows or gets really hot (by which I mean 19 degrees which is cold in other countries 😂)

We're just used to average weather
Reply 9
Original post by Rresa
For places that have lots of snow I completely understand especially when it’s black ice but I’m in a place where the ground is dry but a few snowflakes started falling and people started really panicking

To borrow a phrase from Men in Black; a person is smart, people are stupid.

We don't have the infrastructure to cope with weather that occurs once every 2/3 years. Nobody's prepared to invest in the equipment that it would require.
And because we're so temperate for 95% of the time, those times when it falls into the 5% make people react stupidly.

And then there's the media who's only remit is to sell, so therefore they have to come up with more extreme ways of talking about the story in order for their channel to get more attention.

Original post by UWS
Meanwhile people in Canada are laughing at us.

I was in Canada a month ago skiing. It's actually colder in Manchester today than it was when I was out there.
Reply 10
Because it can disrupt travel plans.
They also do when it rains as they suddenly lose the ability to drive sensibly
The media makes a big deal of it.
I lived in Scotland for over 10 years and i'm currently down in the midlands. I know that where I used to live in Scotland it's snowed about 3-4 feet. Where I am in the midlands there is no more than 2cm, yet everyone is worried about getting to work. Prime reason is that in southern UK most cities and towns etc. don't have sufficient gritters or snowplows, whereas in Scotland if there was a slight chance of heavy snow everywhere would be gritted by midnight before fall. I've lived in several times of -24 degrees and snow up to 10 feet, but then I did basically live by the mountains...
the don't salt our roads so it's too dangerous to do much in the cars we have
Reply 15
Original post by SAMHANLEY88
the don't salt our roads so it's too dangerous to do much in the cars we have

In my area in London they salt the main roads just not the side roads
Original post by Rresa
I mean only in some places it’s not snowing as much at all but people are acting like there’s an avalanche trapping them inside.

It's because we don't get that much snow so we don't have the equipment to deal with it if we did everyone would have snow chains and or snow tires on their car and know what to take with them in the event of heavy snow if they get stuck.
Snow - any good excuse for a day off school.
Original post by Rresa
In my area in London they salt the main roads just not the side roads

we live in the country and they salt like once a year 😂
People here outside Edinburgh aren’t freaking out just annoyed because of the constant on and off snow. Are all the kids are happy because all schools are off....including me.

Quick Reply

Latest