The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Its not different if it’s a date. If you tell your friend or someone you like ‘I want to take you out to dinner’ then you should pay.
‘Fancy coming on a night out’ isnt really the same. This sounds more like you’re not really bothered if they say no
Absolutely. Now this I can agree with.

It's all about wording. But it's not the date aspect.

Anyone you take out you should pay for. It could be my date, my friend, my mum or anyone.

If I say to my mate I'm taking you to the football then I should pay for him. If I say "Do you fancy coming to the football" then he should pay his own way as it's not my treat.
Original post by Wired_1800
That is fair. I am glad you accept that you are a hypocrite.

Mate, everyone is actually a hypocrite by your definition lol
Original post by EpicBrum
Absolutely. Now this I can agree with.

It's all about wording. But it's not the date aspect.

Anyone you take out you should pay for. It could be my date, my friend, my mum or anyone.

If I say to my mate I'm taking you to the football then I should pay for him. If I say "Do you fancy coming to the football" then he should pay his own way as it's not my treat.

Agreed :smile:
Original post by loveleest
Mate, everyone is actually a hypocrite by your definition lol

Yes, many people are hypocrites. There are honest people out there though.
Yes, many people are hypocrites. There are honest people out there though.

lol, everyone is a hypocrite to some extent then, cool.
Every last one of us is a hypocrite. It's natural.
lol, everyone is a hypocrite to some extent then, cool.

It is not cool. We cannot live as hypocrites and say it is cool.
It is not cool. We cannot live as hypocrites and say it is cool.

Are you not a hypocrite in anyway?
Are you not a hypocrite in anyway?

I try not to be. It is one thing to fall short and try to improve, it is another to accept the hypocrisy and life a life filled with double standards.
I try not to be. It is one thing to fall short and try to improve, it is another to accept the hypocrisy and life a life filled with double standards.

I feel like you are confusing hypocrisy with preference.

No, i am not. I think you are.

Hypocrisy is having double standard, having a set of rules for yourself and then a different set for others. E.g. saying that people should donate to charity but then not donating to charity yourself.

Preference is wanting a particular thing for yourself, but not expecting another thing for others.
You have a hypocritical preference.

Hypocrisy is having double standard, having a set of rules for yourself and then a different set for others. E.g. saying that people should donate to charity but then not donating to charity yourself.

Preference is wanting a particular thing for yourself, but not expecting another thing for others.

Or saying that no one has the right to take someone else’s life and believing in the death penalty? :wink:

Okay, so if a guy with short hair states that he only dates women with long hair, he is a hypocrite? Not his preference?
Original post by snowman77
You have a hypocritical preference.

Oh well
Original post by cat_mac
Or saying that no one has the right to take someone else’s life and believing in the death penalty? :wink:

+1

I think you may be stretching the meaning somewhat.

I'm a man and I am only attracted to women. I want my partner to be attracted to men otherwise we'd never be together.

Is it hypocritical of me to not be attracted to men?

I'm pretty sure it just makes me heterosexual.
I think you may be stretching the meaning somewhat.

I'm a man and I am only attracted to women. I want my partner to be attracted to men otherwise we'd never be together.

Is it hypocritical of me to not be attracted to men?

I'm pretty sure it just makes me heterosexual.
That's different though, because it's physically impossible for you to be attracted to men. No matter how hard you try, you just won't be able to do it. Just like it's impossible for me to jump 20 metres into the air, it's impossible for you to be sexually attracted to another man.
Original post by snowman77
That's different though, because it's physically impossible for you to be attracted to men. No matter how hard you try, you just won't be able to do it. Just like it's impossible for me to jump 20 metres into the air, it's impossible for you to be sexually attracted to another man.

I don't know about impossible. People have done it before, maybe they never knew they liked something else but they gave it a try and liked it. So maybe I'm a hypocrite for not giving it a go...

But if you think my example is too extreme there are more examples in posts above.
Original post by cat_mac

Ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending