The Student Room Group

Marmalade's Car for Young Drivers - Is it worth it?

Hi folks!

I recently passed my drivers test, still surprised I passed :P, and I've been looking around for cars. I came across Marmalade and saw their cars for young drivers scheme.

For some context, I'm currently doing an apprenticeship so I should have cash coming in. I just don't know if it would be worth locking myself into a potential 5-year finance plan all for a car.

It seems like an alright deal to me since I would be getting a brand new car (I have my eyes on the Ford Fiesta) alongside a contribution towards insurance as they don't cover my area and years road tax.

Has anyone else took out a plan like this with them and how have they found it? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
I have a Marmalade Car and like you, up until a week ago I was an Apprentice and to complete the quota of being just like you, I bought the ST-Line Fiesta. Bonus points for the fact they could only give cashback for my insurance too

It's risky, you're locked into a long credit agreement and if you lose your job, don't get offered a full-time role (as what ALMOST happened to me) or you crash the car, you are so screwed. I'm also probably going to have to buy the car at the end too, I can't abide by their mileage limit lol, I like my girlfriend too much.

The buying process was very easy, but the problem is you don't get a direct line to the dealer. My car is missing some features I feel like I should have been given as stock (courtesy lights for a bloody start) and this is largely because I couldn't tell the dealer what I want, Marmalade just get their discount, pay up, and have the car sent to you and that's that.

Also in fairness, you're better off not being insured by Marmalade, take the 1300 or whatever and put it towards a decent policy, even if it's like 2700 unboxed the 1300 takes the sting off it. Technically my insurance is 800 quid this year (but it's really like 2200, let me enjoy things).

Just understand the contract, what you're getting yourself into, include the fact you're slightly overpaying for a car as well as the fact that whilst cars don't depreciate in value like they used to, you'll probably stand to lose £5000 by the time your contracts up (which is usually covered by the balloon payment) and if you don't buy the car at the end at all, you've chucked like 10k lol, so wanting to keep the car in the long-run is an obvious must.

Any other questions let me know as I've been through the whole process.
Reply 2
Original post by nevershear
I have a Marmalade Car and like you, up until a week ago I was an Apprentice and to complete the quota of being just like you, I bought the ST-Line Fiesta. Bonus points for the fact they could only give cashback for my insurance too

It's risky, you're locked into a long credit agreement and if you lose your job, don't get offered a full-time role (as what ALMOST happened to me) or you crash the car, you are so screwed. I'm also probably going to have to buy the car at the end too, I can't abide by their mileage limit lol, I like my girlfriend too much.

The buying process was very easy, but the problem is you don't get a direct line to the dealer. My car is missing some features I feel like I should have been given as stock (courtesy lights for a bloody start) and this is largely because I couldn't tell the dealer what I want, Marmalade just get their discount, pay up, and have the car sent to you and that's that.

Also in fairness, you're better off not being insured by Marmalade, take the 1300 or whatever and put it towards a decent policy, even if it's like 2700 unboxed the 1300 takes the sting off it. Technically my insurance is 800 quid this year (but it's really like 2200, let me enjoy things).

Just understand the contract, what you're getting yourself into, include the fact you're slightly overpaying for a car as well as the fact that whilst cars don't depreciate in value like they used to, you'll probably stand to lose £5000 by the time your contracts up (which is usually covered by the balloon payment) and if you don't buy the car at the end at all, you've chucked like 10k lol, so wanting to keep the car in the long-run is an obvious must.

Any other questions let me know as I've been through the whole process.

Thanks for that, really helped clear some things up :smile: Cool to see we have a similar taste in car :P I have heard of some bad things about Marmalade's insurance so it's a plus they're not insuring me lol. The place I'm an apprentice at now are happy with the work I'm doing so getting a full-time position there is likely IF I don't fudge anything up XD, my apprenticeship ends in December. The only real questions I have is how long did it take for you to get your car and with the finance application, how involved is it getting approved?
Original post by Amaan_S
Thanks for that, really helped clear some things up :smile: Cool to see we have a similar taste in car :P I have heard of some bad things about Marmalade's insurance so it's a plus they're not insuring me lol. The place I'm an apprentice at now are happy with the work I'm doing so getting a full-time position there is likely IF I don't fudge anything up XD, my apprenticeship ends in December. The only real questions I have is how long did it take for you to get your car and with the finance application, how involved is it getting approved?

Well my case was complicating.

I got a Seat Ibiza FR PS 115 first, it took 2 weeks from finance being sorted, docs being sent back and car being delivered. However this was because the car was in stock, if you want any extras or something not in stock it's 3 months+ for a new build UNLESS there's one on it's way to the UK port already. After just over a week of owning it the car basically wouldn't go into first gear at all (so I had to go to work one day and basically pull off in 2nd gear all the time), and the second gear was making some awful noises when the turbo would engage, so they recalled the car. I was told it'd take 3 months to get another one and asked them to show me their ford stock. They had a 140bhp st-line (in my avatar!) in stock and I took it immediately, but had to do all the documents again as this was a more expensive car, I received it in 2 weeks.

So I'd say 2 weeks start to finish if the car's in stock. You get your cashback as soon as the car has been ordered which you can use to purchase your insurance (needless to say, policy start date = delivery date), when that's done, you give them the cert, the dealer will then tax it and deliver the car unless you opt to pick it up (you don't save any time picking it up, so just let them deliver it).

Still kinda wish I had the Ibiza but the ST-Line is a very nice trim and I'm still extremely happy with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
If you are 17 years old you will not be able to do this, I tried and could not find a way around it.
Original post by SB8999
If you are 17 years old you will not be able to do this, I tried and could not find a way around it.

Incorrect, as per the homepage the car/insurance deals are available from the age of 17, however a parent or a legal guardian will have to put the finance into their name as credit agreements are not legally binding under the age of 18. The insurance however, will have to be paid in one hit as that has to be in the driver's name and you won't be able to get credit for monthly installments under the age of 18.
Reply 6
Incorrect, as per the homepage the car/insurance deals are available from the age of 17, however a parent or a legal guardian will have to put the finance into their name as credit agreements are not legally binding under the age of 18. The insurance however, will have to be paid in one hit as that has to be in the driver's name and you won't be able to get credit for monthly installments under the age of 18.

Do you know if you can get the finance out in parent's name but I make the payments?
Reply 7
Original post by Amaan_S
Do you know if you can get the finance out in parent's name but I make the payments?

You'd have to give your parents the money, but do bear in mind that taking it out in their name will affect their credit.
Original post by Amaan_S

What Tom said. Your parents are financially responsible for the agreement, but they'd expect you to pay them for it I imagine. I imagine Marmalade would still make you the registered keeper though for insurance purposes.
Reply 9
What Tom said. Your parents are financially responsible for the agreement, but they'd expect you to pay them for it I imagine. I imagine Marmalade would still make you the registered keeper though for insurance purposes.

Original post by IWMTom
You'd have to give your parents the money, but do bear in mind that taking it out in their name will affect their credit.

Thanks for answering my questions :smile: I think I might save up a bit to give a higher deposit upfront so I can reduce the monthly costs and probably set up a direct debit to my parents account so I don't forget to transfer the money xD
You've got your head screwed on by the sounds of it, good to hear mate.
I am thinking of purchasing a car through marmalade, i already have a car, ford fiesta zetec 08 1.2 litre, for uni. Completed my first year and got 3 years left so was thinking of getting a car through them till i finish university. Cause i cant afford to buy a car out right and ive had a bunch of problems with mine and would like to not deal with that during say exam time. I work in an agency job where i work 8 hours a shift and i choose when i work. I will be working atleast 2 shifts a week along side university. So i should be able to afford a car and insurance after 1 year with marmalade. But a friend of mine keeps saying straight up no but he has money where he can buy a car without a problem where as i cant. Need advice please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending