The Student Room Group

Any Athiests who now believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chucke1992
What is wrong in saying that I have my own beliefs? ? I said that there might be creator or might be not (I don't care whether he interferes or not at all though). My point is that the complexity of university implies existence of almost anything. I don't share an idea that humanity is the peak of the universe development. Planets might be atoms for some higher level existence for all I care.

I'll look into The Age of Reason though.

Well just because there is something you don't know the cause of doesn't make you able to say "god did it". And the universe is not infinite, though it is expanding.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
That was Descartes.

"I stink therefore I spam" - me 2018
Original post by Unkilled
Well just because there is something you don't know the cause of doesn't make you able to say "god did it". And the universe is not infinite, though it is expanding.

Who told you that that universe is single? Or that it is real at all?

I don't care usually - I mean I have a work - but you don't have right to tell me what and how I should interpret anything. If I want to I will worship fire or universe itself. Who cares?
Ever since learning about the ontological argument I definitely believe in God
Original post by Ella_08

Ever since reaching an age where I could question religious authority and think for myself, I definitely don't believe in fairy tales, superstition and any form of God especially the monotheistic made up Gods and prophets.
Original post by Ella_08

Out of interest, which ontological argument are you referring to?
Original post by zeldor711
Out of interest, which ontological argument are you referring to?

Anselm's :h: I'm not 'religious' but I think his argument is sooo clever
Original post by uberteknik
Ever since reaching an age where I could question religious authority and think for myself, I definitely don't believe in fairy tales, superstition and any form of God especially the monotheistic made up Gods and prophets.

Do you know what the ontological argument is? Don't judge what you don't yet know :wink:
Original post by Ella_08
Do you know what the ontological argument is? Don't judge what you don't yet know :wink:

The ontological argument is kind of dumb because different religions have different definitions for their gods. Besides, with multiple gods then how can they all be gods if there must be a greatest one?
Original post by Unkilled
The ontological argument is kind of dumb because different religions have different definitions for their gods. Besides, with multiple gods then how can they all be gods if there must be a greatest one?

That's not really a proper challenge because although different religions may have different 'words' or phrases to define God based on different scriptures, all religions agree that God is that which nothing greater can be conceived. The ontological argument doesn't view that there are multiple Gods, only that there is one maximally great being
I was born to Muslim parents, who were not very religious though. My adopted parents were very secular and pretty much Agnostic Atheist. So, for a large part of my life I was not really interested in religion, or in the existence of God. For the last 10 years I had been an Atheist, at times very millitant in my views as well. However, it was only recently, maybe around 8-6 months ago that I started to develop an interest in the story of Jesus Christ, and what Christ can offer me. It was at time moment that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

A lot of my friends thought I had gone mad, but trust me I still have my brain intact. I try to not take things to literally, and believe it's important to evolve in our own interpretations and thinking. But, it's been a great transformation for me. Becoming a Christian has helped me to curb a lot of my addictions (mostly alcohol and gambling due to my low self worth), and so it's been a great experience thus far. I attend church services on Sundays and I am part of a Bible Study group. I remember having a debate with a Christian friend of mine a few years ago, and I was very dismissive of the idea of God, and honestly I never thought I would become a Christian. It wasn't my plan. It was just God's plan.

I just found Atheism to be an empty void of nothingness. It offered me nothing in life, and had very little positive contribution to my life. Since becoming a Christian my life's definitely improved for the better. I am actually a part of a community, and I feel valued as a human being as my fellow co-religionists have helped me out and done a lot for me in such a short space of time. It's been a great journey, and honestly you learn something new everyday. Such is the beauty of religion.
Original post by Ella_08

I also like William Lane Craig's Kalam Cosmological argument
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Bad argument. If the complexity of the universe requires a creator then why doesn't God? After all, he's supposed to be the most complex thing that exists.

Because God exists outside of time space and matter itself, and so he is not bound by the laws of the universe. The cause of the Universe is non-material and so God is not subjected to the same laws that govern the Universe.
Original post by Golden State
I also like William Lane Craig's Kalam Cosmological argument

It's a pretty good argument, especially since it's relevant to the 21C
I was born to Muslim parents, who were not very religious though. My adopted parents were very secular and pretty much Agnostic Atheist. So, for a large part of my life I was not really interested in religion, or in the existence of God. For the last 10 years I had been an Atheist, at times very millitant in my views as well. However, it was only recently, maybe around 8-6 months ago that I started to develop an interest in the story of Jesus Christ, and what Christ can offer me. It was at time moment that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

A lot of my friends thought I had gone mad, but trust me I still have my brain intact. I try to not take things to literally, and believe it's important to evolve in our own interpretations and thinking. But, it's been a great transformation for me. Becoming a Christian has helped me to curb a lot of my addictions (mostly alcohol and gambling due to my low self worth), and so it's been a great experience thus far. I attend church services on Sundays and I am part of a Bible Study group. I remember having a debate with a Christian friend of mine a few years ago, and I was very dismissive of the idea of God, and honestly I never thought I would become a Christian. It wasn't my plan. It was just God's plan.

I just found Atheism to be an empty void of nothingness. It offered me nothing in life, and had very little positive contribution to my life. Since becoming a Christian my life's definitely improved for the better. I am actually a part of a community, and I feel valued as a human being as my fellow co-religionists have helped me out and done a lot for me in such a short space of time. It's been a great journey, and honestly you learn something new everyday. Such is the beauty of religion.

Interesting, I think it's great how much of a positive impact theism brings into the world and to individuals (not necessarily religion); if only everyone knew this
I think that generation is quite narcissistic generally and convinced of their own worldview in everything, and It think they damaged the world a lot. They seem to have everything according to their wishes and believe the rest of us are unfortunate if we deviate from their views.

Lol our generation are the worst generation by far for this sort of behaviour. Our parents' generation are tame compared to ours when it comes to intolerance.

For the first time in my life I understand the perspective of a believer and why militant atheism and the attempt to wipe out faith annoys people a much as it does.

Most people don't want to wipe out faith, they just don't want religious people to ram it down their throats. Or for people to think that they're faith means they have to follow backwards teachings written thousands of years ago with the sole purpose of controlling people.
Because God exists outside of time space and matter itself, and so he is not bound by the laws of the universe. The cause of the Universe is non-material and so God is not subjected to the same laws that govern the Universe.

You don't have an ounce of evidence for this, it is special pleading. If the complexity of the creator doesn't require a cause, then you cannot make the argument that the universe's does.

great answer mate
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You don't have an ounce of evidence for this, it is special pleading. If the complexity of the creator doesn't require a cause, then you cannot make the argument that the universe's does.

The Universe does require a cause, because the universe is contingent (reliant on other things), whereas for God to be God, God has to be necessary. Therefore, the universe and God are completely different in nature i.e. God has to exist in reality otherwise there would always be a greater being that existed that caused the universe to exist.
My religion is science. Who is the God of science? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending