The Student Room Group

Maths Question

How do you factorise x(squared)+6x=1?
Original post by JEMMA-26

I'll give you a solution in a few minutes - just so you know how to do this from now on, as this question is a little trickier than normal factorisation.
Reply 2
Original post by Mehru1214
I'll give you a solution in a few minutes - just so you know how to do this from now on, as this question is a little trickier than normal factorisation.

Thank you for responding :smile:

Just apply the quadratic formula, find the solutions, and express the factorised form as (xa)(xb)=0(x-a)(x-b)=0 where a,ba,b are the two solutions.
Thank you for responding :smile:

No problem, nearly finished writing it out! :smile:

Just subtract 1 to make it = 0, then you've got it in the typical quadratic format. From that point, you can use brackets in the normal fashion to factorise.
No problem, nearly finished writing it out! :smile:

Please don't post full solutions. Let OP have a go themselves first with a hint.
Original post by RDKGames
Just apply the quadratic formula, find the solutions, and express the factorised form as (xa)(xb)=0(x-a)(x-b)=0 where a,ba,b are the two solutions.

Basically this.
Please don't post full solutions. Let OP have a go themselves first with a hint.

Oops! Sorry forgot I about that...
Reply 9
Basically this.

Thank you :smile:

the roots of this equation r rational numbers I think so we were to factorise this will will have to write it in form of (x - a)(x - b) where a and b will be exact answers jn surf form. will this be correct?
Original post by brainmaster
the roots of this equation r rational numbers I think so we were to factorise this will will have to write it in form of (x - a)(x - b) where a and b will be exact answers jn surf form. will this be correct?

Yes.
Yes.

okay was curious since I haven't come accross such a case and haven't seen it thanks anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest