The Student Room Group

Things you DON'T need at university

We've all seen the threads about things that are essential for moving into halls, and things students can't live without.

But what about things you think will be super useful, only for those things to stay stuffed under your bed/at the back of your wardrobe until you move out at the end of the year?

Maybe someone advised you to bring a certain item, then you realised it was completely unnecessary.

For those of you at uni, what's some of the things that you thought would be useful but then ended up never using?

My two pennies worth:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

A few things I brought with me but didn't use - iron & tabletop ironing board, printer, desktop calendar, mini whiteboard and pens, frying pan, flask, travel sewing kit... :tongue:
Original post by Leviathan1741
A few things I brought with me but didn't use - iron & tabletop ironing board, printer, desktop calendar, mini whiteboard and pens, frying pan, flask, travel sewing kit... :tongue:

Didn't use a printer? aha I thought you had to print off work to hand in? Idk though still in Year 10 struggling with GCSE's!! :h:
Original post by s.m30
Didn't use a printer? aha I thought you had to print off work to hand in? Idk though still in Year 10 struggling with GCSE's!! :h:

oh baby, you havent even gone through A levels xx
Original post by s.m30

It turned out that we submit a lot of our work online, so having a printer in my room just took up desk space. If I need to print then I can use the printers in the library, which do much higher quality printouts anyway :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
We've all seen the threads about things that are essential for moving into halls, and things students can't live without.

But what about things you think will be super useful, only for those things to stay stuffed under your bed/at the back of your wardrobe until you move out at the end of the year?

Maybe someone advised you to bring a certain item, then you realised it was completely unnecessary.

For those of you at uni, what's some of the things that you thought would be useful but then ended up never using?

My two pennies worth:

Spoiler

A MacBook Pro - these dudes be typing up word documents on a £1100 laptop smh
A tostie maker shame really as I love tosties
A life :frown:
I would also say iron, and I brought books to read from home (studied English lit) and it was a bad move. Too much weekly reading to be able to read my own books, and books are super heavy to move in boxes so yeah...
Your mum.
Original post by Frank Peters
oh baby, you havent even gone through A levels xx

Haha what GCSE's did you come out with?
In halls usually the most limited space is in the kitchen, so I would say take as little kitchen stuff as possible. Most things can be made with two saucepans, a frying pan, a baking tray and a few utensils. I'd also only take say two plates, bowls etc, as it encourages you to wash up and saves on space. On the odd occasion you have more people over, you can always borrow from a flat mate if you're friendly and wash up!

Other than that, I'd agree no-one needs an iron at uni!
Original post by s.m30
Haha what GCSE's did you come out with?

1 A* 7 As and 2 Bs and a C.
Original post by Frank Peters
1 A* 7 As and 2 Bs and a C.

Awesome! How much revision was done during the year 10 to 11 summer holidays?
well I actually started revision from year 10 onwards. In a week Id say 5-6 hours
Reply 15

Did you never fry anything or did someone lend you a pan?
Original post by PhoenixFortune

My two pennies worth:

Spoiler

- Vacuum Cleaner
- Elaborate kitchen appliances e.g. a KitchenAid Mixer etc.
- Printer
- Coffee/Drinks maker
- Ironing equipment
- An overpriced laptop
Reply 17
flatmate brought an iron, kettle and a toaster. really unnecessary but we did end up using them.
would also suggest just bringing 2 medium sized bowl plates/pasta bowls instead of big dinner plates and small plates.
wouldn't bother bringing any special alcohol glasses eg champagne flutes or wine glasses.
a couple cushions are nice but normally they all just end up on the floor.
also wouldn't bother bringing too many decorative pieces (photos, souvenirs, candles) or books because it makes it so hard packing up and moving out.
wooden and weighted doorstops are rubbish, better off with a cheap rubber one.
people also bring way too many mugs, pieces of cutlery, saucepans, colanders, measuring cups, sieves, unnecessary stationery bits.
you also don't need as many shoes as you think.

You never pan fried anything? :O

And, I use mini whiteboards all the time
Original post by Bio 7
Did you never fry anything or did someone lend you a pan?

I have a couple of saucepans and use those instead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest