The Student Room Group

should i choose geography or history 4 gcse?!

hi! so I'm going to choose my GCSE options quite soon and I've decided to pick triple science and French. my next option is out of geography and history... I heard that history is a lot to learn so it may be hard to fit in with the triple science. however I love history but geography can be fun to!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovemycattilly
hi! so I'm going to choose my GCSE options quite soon and I've decided to pick triple science and French. my next option is out of geography and history... I heard that history is a lot to learn so it may be hard to fit in with the triple science. however I love history but geography can be fun to!

Choose history it’s really interesting but u have to write a lot of essays

Unless, you're planning to do History at A-level or you're actually good at it, take geography. It's much easier to get an A or A* in geography than history. And GCSE triple science isn't exactly a big thing. You'll see when you do it so don't worry about that.
Reply 3
History’s ok if you need it to do something for example - law, history is useful and history a level is useful for law. I just think most people find it boring and there’s a lot of work. Geography seems more like science. If you really ant decide just do what you done easiest.
It won’t make too much of a difference long term unless you want to do a level in one of them.
I take both. I can say I like the history tests and questions better and I find it overall more interesting, since Geography does have some content that can be boring in my opinion (hazards is quite interesting
though).
However, Geography for me is still the more useful one since you learn about the world today while history is...well, history lol

I would recommend history too. Very interesting indeed! But choose the subject you’re more comfortable with!
Well in terms of the workload, it's not as much as everyone exaggerates it to be - I took triple science, Spanish, geography and history and it was all good

However, I think it probably is harder to get an A*/9 in history than in geography purely because of the specific essay writing style you need to master - although this isn't a probable if you're good at essay writing.

I personally think history is more interesting but you should do whatever you perform well in or like the best.
Depends what you want to do later on in life. I always had a strong dislike for history. But it all comes down to the teacher you get. Loads of people who do Geography at my school dislike it but I love it solely due to the teacher I have
I have chosen both and i think geography is probably a bit easier than history, but its whatever you want to do because its your choice. if you prefer one more than the other and you are better at one then you should go for which one you are the best at.
I would say pick history - a lot of people might say is hard, but so many of my friends picked geography and there’s soooo much content to understand and memorise, with history there’s a lot too but it’s more easy to get to grips with and it’s more of just memorising the key events and information. The subject is also really interesting and can be straightforward if you focus and get to like it
Like some people have said before me, it depends on what you want to do in the future. Also, think about a levels. If you want to do a level geography, take geography and same thing for history. If you don't know about the future, focus solely on enjoyment, don't worry about workload. Choosing something you enjoy more will make the subject seem like less work
geography is boring but easier

history is more interesting but more effort and harder to get an a*
I liked geo better because the topics were really easy and you've done them before in the previous years and also the trips they take you on are really fun but history is good aswell because learning about people is interesting and exciting but it depends on which one you feel your stronger in x

In my opinion, I would pick whichever subject that you are best at. Go with your gut.

PS. I picked Geography.
I'd say history! I'm in year 10 and it's a really interesting subject!! Highly recommended

I’d say history, I personally find it more interesting. I found geography gcse had a huge amount of content not all of which was needed to know for the exams and the papers were a but unpredictable, whereas history has specific technique for the questions depending on the number of marks. I guess it’s down to personal preference but I prefer history :smile:
Original post by Georgia Brown
In my opinion, I would pick whichever subject that you are best at. Go with your gut.

PS. I picked Geography.

Thanks, ive decided on geography but put history as my back! we choose today BTW.
Original post by kallie.liese.
i have chosen both and i think geography is probably a bit easier than history, but its whatever you want to do because its your choice. If you prefer one more than the other and you are better at one then you should go for which one you are the best at.

thankyou!!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Well in terms of the workload, it's not as much as everyone exaggerates it to be - I took triple science, Spanish, geography and history and it was all good

However, I think it probably is harder to get an A*/9 in history than in geography purely because of the specific essay writing style you need to master - although this isn't a probable if you're good at essay writing.

I personally think history is more interesting but you should do whatever you perform well in or like the best.

THANKYOU so much for the repy! we choose our subjects today and i have picked geograohy
Original post by peeked
History’s ok if you need it to do something for example - law, history is useful and history a level is useful for law. I just think most people find it boring and there’s a lot of work. Geography seems more like science. If you really ant decide just do what you done easiest.
It won’t make too much of a difference long term unless you want to do a level in one of them.

THAnks for replying... after alot of thinking i have made the decision
of geograph :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest