The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Okay, so if a guy with short hair states that he only dates women with long hair, he is a hypocrite? Not his preference?

Double standards
Original post by Wired_1800
Double standards

LOL! okay...
Original post by EpicBrum
I think you may be stretching the meaning somewhat.

I'm a man and I am only attracted to women. I want my partner to be attracted to men otherwise we'd never be together.

Is it hypocritical of me to not be attracted to men?

I'm pretty sure it just makes me heterosexual.

Look up double standards.
A foetus is “alive” at conception. If it was dead it will be classified as a stillbirth. It lives and grows until it is ready to be born.

Whether you think its a person at contraception or not is your opinion and not a fact
Original post by ThatOldGuy
You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.

If i phrased it wrong im sorry, but i meant person not alive. And whether you believe a foetus is a person at contraception or after that is your opinion
Original post by EqualitySloth
Whether you think its a person at contraception or not is your opinion and not a fact

Humans Foetuses are basically the same as any other foetus
Original post by Luke5125
Humans Foetuses are basically the same as any other foetus

Yes and?
Look up double standards.

I'm not denying the double standards. I agree and I'm perfectly fine with having a double standard. It's the meaning of hypocrisy that I'm saying you are stretching.

So let's look up the definition of hypocrisy...

noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs,principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially aperson whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2.a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his orher public statements.

Not a single person in this thread has fallen under this definition of hypocrite. So if you want to go by the dictionary definition then it goes against everything you are saying.

It is the medical opinion of many doctors
Original post by EpicBrum
I'm not denying the double standards. I agree and I'm perfectly fine with having a double standard. It's the meaning of hypocrisy that I'm saying you are stretching.

So let's look up the definition of hypocrisy...

noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs,principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially aperson whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2.a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his orher public statements.

Not a single person in this thread has fallen under this definition of hypocrite. So if you want to go by the dictionary definition then it goes against everything you are saying.

Some people have shown option 2. Having double standards is also hypocrisy.

Ypu mean conservative/republican/pro life doctors
Ypu mean conservative/republican/pro life doctors

They are doctors. Just because they disagree with you doesn’t make them bad doctors.
They are doctors. Just because they disagree with you doesn’t make them bad doctors.

Thats not what im saying, im saying that th majority of conservative etc doctors agree that personhood begins at contraception. But not the majority of doctors as a whole
Some people have shown option 2. Having double standards is also hypocrisy.

The 2nd option says they "feigns some desirable or publicly approved". Nobody on here has done that. Everyone has been perfectly honest about their standards, not feigned them.

How is it their ‘medical’ opinion? Personhood isn’t a physical thing that doctor’s can diagnose. I don’t see how a doctors opinion of when a foetus becomes a person is anymore valid as anyone else’s, it’s a belief more than anything. Hence why people have so many different opinions, there’s no “proof” one way or the other.
Thats not what im saying, im saying that th majority of conservative etc doctors agree that personhood begins at contraception. But not the majority of doctors as a whole

Medical opinion is just that, an opinion. There are rarely facts in medicine. The only fact is existence of life and death, everything else is an opinion, which can be argued. Once you get more people to share that opinion, then you win, but not proof facts.
Original post by cat_mac
How is it their ‘medical’ opinion? Personhood isn’t a physical thing that doctor’s can diagnose. I don’t see how a doctors opinion of when a foetus becomes a person is anymore valid as anyone else’s, it’s a belief more than anything. Hence why people have so many different opinions, there’s no “proof” one way or the other.

Doctors can have an opinion. When it is supported by medical basis, then it is a medical opinion. It is different from a layman’s somewhat ignorant outpour. This is the reason that we have subject-matter experts.

The concept of personhood is a social construct and not a biological one. A doctor can tell you that based on the medical evidence, a 15 weeks unborn baby is a living being. It is now down to society’s socially constructed definition that determines whether this being is a “person”.
Doctors can have an opinion. When it is supported by medical basis, then it is a medical opinion. It is different from a layman’s somewhat ignorant outpour. This is the reason that we have subject-matter experts.

The concept of personhood is a social construct and not a biological one. A doctor can tell you that based on the medical evidence, a 15 weeks unborn baby is a living being. It is now down to society’s socially constructed definition that determines whether this being is a “person”.

I agree, hence the belief that “it’s a person at conception” is not a medical opinion. There’s no medical evidence of personhood.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that a foetus is an inanimate object, but debating the value and rights the form of life is entitled to.
Because feminism and equality only applies when it suits women.
Original post by cat_mac
The whole ‘dating’ paragraph sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship to me, that ain’t healthy. If a guy wants to “take charge” and pay for everything and shuts me down when I say i’m not comfortable with it that’s a big ol no from me. Both parties should put in equal amounts of effort, expense and work.

I think women who campaign for the top list are very rarely the same women from the bottom list. The contradiction is only if you generalise “all women” as one group. Then you see one woman wanting something, another woman wanting a contradicting thing, then your head explodes because what a feminist wants isn’t the same as what a gold digger wants. Once you figure out women don’t all have one list of desires to go off, the confusion is easily banished.

Relationships should be balance and respect, seeing your partner as an equal not just a pay check or a sex doll.

agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest