The Student Room Group

Do you like reading?

Scroll to see replies

I like reading. I'm very easily distracted so sometimes it'll take me a bit of time to actually sit down with a book but once I do, it's great! Maybe I need to branch out a little though as recently i've been sticking to books that fall within the genre of horror. Would also like to read some of the "classics" like 1984 amongst others
If I get hooked, even a book consisting of 500~ pages will only keep me occupied for 3 days at best.
Original post by JDieMstr
If I get hooked, even a book consisting of 500~ pages will only keep me occupied for 3 days at best.

Edit: To answer your Q, I do but rarely read nowadays compared to my high schooler self.
Original post by JDieMstr
Edit: To answer your Q, I do but rarely read nowadays compared to my high schooler self.

such magnificent editing...fml
yes:
-it's an escape
-builds knowledge/understanding
-it's fun, a hobby

Original post by zainabab
well im reading this amazing sequel currently its called Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman its incredibely gripping

OMG noughts and crosses? Those books were amazing.
Original post by ReadySalted28
For sure, your deffo right. There are some amazing books out there.

Some? a lot! so many books I can't read my whole life.

Original post by humbert-humbert
reading is the best thing one can ever do!! for real!!

To open the mind, I agree, it is the best.
Gotta say that I love reading and have since around Primary 5, I still regularly pick up a book - most of them I've read lots of times before but who cares :tongue:
YES! its pretty amazing! im loving the character Jude rn
All your points you counted can be underlined, because it is true. That is why I am reading good books whenever I can.
why did i read this as reading the music festival lmao why am i such a teen
Original post by zainabab
YES! its pretty amazing! im loving the character Jude rn

Oh yeah I remember Jude, his character was so strong :biggrin:

Original post by Kallisto
All your points you counted can be underlined, because it is true. That is why I am reading good books whenever I can.

I agree. What's a good book? :holmes:*
Reply 31
I love reading- especially at night. During he day not so much as I have better things to be doing but I love being immersed in a book.
Reply 32
reading used to be my primary passion. like i would stay up ALAP on school days just to get to the end of a book. nowadays, i control the urge a lot better, but i think when it comes to reading in general, i think it's all about the right books. AQA Bio and Chem books actually hurt to read, but The Northern Lights and Artemis Fowl really glue me to the pages.
A novel with sophistical writing style. They are true pearls in literature, although the term 'sophistical' is a matter of personal view.
Reply 34
Yeah, I spend a few hours a day reading.
Reply 35
A novel with sophistical writing style. They are true pearls in literature, although the term 'sophistical' is a matter of personal view.

Do you mean sophisticated?

'Sophistical' means that it pertains to sophistry, viz that it is superficially plausible or clever-sounding, but based on insubstantial or fallacious grounds; misleading (especially intentionally).
I used to only read popular science books. In the past year or so I’ve attempted to get into fiction books and whilst I haven’t got a nuts with them or anything, they are such a different experience. I can pay much less attention to them and they help me to relax better! Popular science, whilst I absolutely love it, does take mental effort to read and follow! As for the fiction that got me back into it all....

The silo series by Hugh Howey.

Enough said! A trilogy of three books, based in a post apocalyptic dystopia where nobody knows why they can’t go outside, they just know that if they question it they’ll be sent outside to die! Highly recommended read. Simple and fun, plus it’s a trilogy but each book has its own slant on things!
I read every day, usually in bed! Early in the morning with a cup of tea is the best time when I'm not likely to fall asleep over my book (which happens with alarming regularity when I read in bed at night) and when I know I won't be disturbed by other people or the telephone, and I don't have a million other things to do.
Original post by gjd800
Do you mean sophisticated?

'Sophistical' means that it pertains to sophistry, viz that it is superficially plausible or clever-sounding, but based on insubstantial or fallacious grounds; misleading (especially intentionally).

I see, it is a term with negative meaning. So the actual word I intended to write is sophisticated.
Reply 39
I see, it is a term with negative meaning. So the actual word I intended to write is sophisticated.

It's still a great word, I was surprised to see it on here! The only time I really see it is in old philosophy tomes, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending