The Student Room Group

I owe 8000 immediate debt for 2 months study

I finished my Degree and went on to do a masters at the same university with a 30 percent discount. I took out the new Postgrad loan to fund this, hoping to get a job along side it.

I missed the first couple of weeks due to illness, all in all I was there for about 2 months. Didn't enjoy the course, and not being able to find a Job meant the first portion of my loan went on student housing and living costs. So I had not paid the University. I last attended at the start of December and dropped out having not submitting my assignments.

Unfortunately I was locked into the housing contract which was ridiculously expensive, unexpectedly my second portion of the loan came through and I had to use this to pay the accommodation as they were threatening to take it from my parents.

I eventually managed to re-let the room and move back home. A couple of months later I received letters from the university claiming I owe them the entire 5000 for the year at university. This seemed odd as because of lecturer absences, I only had 20 lectures max. I would also understand if I'd taken somebody else's place on the course, but there were only two people on the course including me, and more than half of our modules we were just tagged on to other classes.

I then got a letter saying i owe student loans around 3000 for the second portion of the loan that they gave me when I wasn't attending. Both threatened me with a 14 day period to pay them. At the moment I have basically no assets and a minimum wage job to cover the rent, it's been at least 6 months since i last heard from them and I've had no calls or E-mails. Do you think they may have let it go? Any one else in a similar situation?
Original post by andrew31593
I finished my Degree and went on to do a masters at the same university with a 30 percent discount. I took out the new Postgrad loan to fund this, hoping to get a job along side it.

I missed the first couple of weeks due to illness, all in all I was there for about 2 months. Didn't enjoy the course, and not being able to find a Job meant the first portion of my loan went on student housing and living costs. So I had not paid the University. I last attended at the start of December and dropped out having not submitting my assignments.

Unfortunately I was locked into the housing contract which was ridiculously expensive, unexpectedly my second portion of the loan came through and I had to use this to pay the accommodation as they were threatening to take it from my parents.

I eventually managed to re-let the room and move back home. A couple of months later I received letters from the university claiming I owe them the entire 5000 for the year at university. This seemed odd as because of lecturer absences, I only had 20 lectures max. I would also understand if I'd taken somebody else's place on the course, but there were only two people on the course including me, and more than half of our modules we were just tagged on to other classes.

I then got a letter saying i owe student loans around 3000 for the second portion of the loan that they gave me when I wasn't attending. Both threatened me with a 14 day period to pay them. At the moment I have basically no assets and a minimum wage job to cover the rent, it's been at least 6 months since i last heard from them and I've had no calls or E-mails. Do you think they may have let it go? Any one else in a similar situation?

You signed a contract with the university when you enrolled. Their policy on charging fees was part of that contract. You should be able to find the regulations online or in your records.

For both debts you need to speak to them and explain your financial situation and agree a repayment plan that is something you can afford. The citizens advice or a similar free money advice service should be able to help you.

Student finance are normally very reasonable. Your university might be less so - they won’t charge based on your attendance unless you can prove that the contact time was not what was promised when you accepted the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending