The Student Room Group

My dream job might affect my health!

I've been having a bit of a crisis for the past few years. Tears have been involved many times and im worried im falling into some sort of slump.

So not to long ago I have been having problems with sensitivity to sound, fast forward 2 years later I was diagnosed to have Hyperacusis.

characterised by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, some of which may seem unpleasantly or painfully loud to that person but not to others. (wiki).

Its not the worst case scenario version of the illness, but it impacts what I want to be... a musician. My doctor said that it's something "i have to live with" which is what I was expecting to hear as there is not much research done into it. But I have been surrounded by music my whole life and love it, I cant just give it up! Other people think oh "just try something else" but my whole life I have been working towards musicianship which i cant even dream o giving up. So I'm in a dilemma whether I should carry on and try it out knowing it could have a big impact on my life and cause anxiety and stress, or make the condition worse. Or give up my dream and all the hard work I've put into it and do something else, knowing and having the regret on my shoulders that it's not what I wanna do for my life.

I am 17 years old and im taking vocal and piano lessons and I really wanna study music and attempt to enter into this industry, but it scares me to give up throw away all the money and dreams both me and my family have of me, but at the same time, im fearful if I end up perusing this and ending up hating myself for even thinking i could survive the noisy environment. I don't know what to do at all. My parents obviously want me to pursue music and I am the same, but its hard for them to relate to my condition, and they don't know what it's like. I know there are some therapies to help and stuff but I cant afford and I don't think my condition is severe enough to go to them.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been having a bit of a crisis for the past few years. Tears have been involved many times and im worried im falling into some sort of slump.

So not to long ago I have been having problems with sensitivity to sound, fast forward 2 years later I was diagnosed to have Hyperacusis.

characterised by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, some of which may seem unpleasantly or painfully loud to that person but not to others. (wiki).

Its not the worst case scenario version of the illness, but it impacts what I want to be... a musician. My doctor said that it's something "i have to live with" which is what I was expecting to hear as there is not much research done into it. But I have been surrounded by music my whole life and love it, I cant just give it up! Other people think oh "just try something else" but my whole life I have been working towards musicianship which i cant even dream o giving up. So I'm in a dilemma whether I should carry on and try it out knowing it could have a big impact on my life and cause anxiety and stress, or make the condition worse. Or give up my dream and all the hard work I've put into it and do something else, knowing and having the regret on my shoulders that it's not what I wanna do for my life.

I am 17 years old and im taking vocal and piano lessons and I really wanna study music and attempt to enter into this industry, but it scares me to give up throw away all the money and dreams both me and my family have of me, but at the same time, im fearful if I end up perusing this and ending up hating myself for even thinking i could survive the noisy environment. I don't know what to do at all. My parents obviously want me to pursue music and I am the same, but its hard for them to relate to my condition, and they don't know what it's like. I know there are some therapies to help and stuff but I cant afford and I don't think my condition is severe enough to go to them.

You need a plan and to see if you can get any help or assistance.
Does it count as a disability?

I'd never heard of it before, but my first port of call is to find a charity and research to learn as much as I can bout a thing.

http://www.chat-hyperacusis.net/?forum=47709

Do you have tinnitus as well?

https://www.hearinglink.org/your-hearing/about-deafness-hearing-loss/noise-sensitivity/

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/-/media/ahl/documents/publications/factsheets-and-leaflets/factsheets/hearing-health/hyperacusis-factsheet.pdf

http://hyperacusisresearch.org/

1. Learn as much as possible.
2. Make contacts and assess treatments.
3. Talk to course providers.
4. You get one gift year for finance so if you go to uni you can try it and if its to much then leave and try a different degree, but still have full funding available. Dont be in a rush and make sure your grades are good enough to pursue a career.

For the moment focus on grades.
You may find a solution or it may get better or worse. Either way in a years time you will be that much more informed.
Dont put yourself under pressure trying to sort everything out now, when later will be fine.

Cant think of much more but drop me a line if you get stuck.
I have it and there isn't much you can do about it.

Quick Reply

Latest