The Student Room Group

London rent isn't so expensive imho.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Paracosm
They haven't, they've misunderstood 'pw' because they didn't understand what it meant on listings.

In Milan, you are supposed to pay 400 euros for a bed, and believe me that the houses are not so cool like the one I showed you.
They haven't, they've misunderstood 'pw' because they didn't understand what it meant on listings.

Oh ok. I didn’t read what was happening in the thread as i typed my comment.
Original post by WiSi
In Milan, you are supposed to pay 400 euros for a bed, and believe me that the houses are not so cool like the one I showed you.

This is London though, OP. Not Milan. You're looking at everything through rose-tinted glasses. You need to sit down with someone that speaks good English or lives in the UK and evaluate your options because you're not understanding our housing market right now.

Original post by HateOCR
Oh ok. I didn’t read what was happening in the thread as i typed my comment.

No, that's OK! I was shocked too at first!
Reply 23
This is London though, OP. Not Milan. You're looking at everything through rose-tinted glasses. You need to sit down with someone that speaks good English or lives in the UK and evaluate your options because you're not understanding our housing market right now.

No, that's OK! I was shocked too at first!

When you speak about housing market you have also to consider the average salary of the place, of a person that have a degree.
Original post by WiSi
When you speak about housing market you have also to consider the average salary of the place, of a person that have a degree.

Trust me, I am. I don't think you are.
Original post by WiSi

Its not very affordable. Id guess more than 50% of the avg renting Londoners salary probably goes to rent.
Original post by WiSi

even if you have a good degree from a top university, it will still be insanely hard since they pay isnt proportional and there are so many other expenses to consider as well
Reply 27
Original post by WiSi

Are you looking to rent because you are going to university in London? If so it would be an idea to speak to your university's accomodation office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Trust me, I am. I don't think you are.

In my opinion 1000£ per month is a good price.
There are good houses were you are suppose to spend just 250 £ per week.
In Florence there are people that pay more.
It depends where in London you go. It's a big place.

Last year I lived in Haringey (zone 2/3), which is considered one of the dodgier areas of London, and I paid £500/month for a house I shared with five other people. I didn't think that was expensive for where it was, but it's certainly a lot more than you would expect to pay in other parts of the country.

Obviously if you go much further out the rent is much, much cheaper compared to if you live in central or in fancy places like Highgate, Hampstead/Primrose Hill, Chelsea etc
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WiSi

£1000 per month is clearly very expensive.
Reply 31
Original post by HateOCR
Its not very affordable. Id guess more than 50% of the avg renting Londoners salary probably goes to rent.

So only people that born in London live in London.
Original post by WiSi
Hi guys.
I was looking for the prices of the rent in London.

Lots of people in this forum told me that are very high, while I found houses with 350-400 pound per month, which in my opinion are not high prices.
Obviously we are talking about not very big houses.

What do you think?

Thanks
WiSi.

L O L anything within that price range is DEFINITELY a flat share.
Reply 33
Original post by WiSi

So you've gone from £350 to £1000 per month.

Welcome to London. And you can easily spend a lot more than that.

Of course there's some expensive places in Florence or Milan too. What's that prove?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
£1000 per month is clearly very expensive.

I agree with the fact that there are cheaper places in the UK, but consider that when you live with someone else ( girlfriend ) you can pay half of the price.
Reply 35
Original post by Doonesbury
So you've gone from £350 to £1000 per month.

Welcome to London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Florence, city that I know very well, is the same, but do not have London companies.
Original post by WiSi
I agree with the fact that there are cheaper places in the UK, but consider that when you live with someone else ( girlfriend ) you can pay half of the price.

Landlords/Agencies would often increase the rent price for couples (but in essence, I guess it'd turn out cheaper). I paid £800/m for a single bed box room in a Zone 1/2 area. I don't know if you have money to burn, but £800/month is a LOT in my books (especially compared to other areas in the UK).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It depends where in London you go. It's a big place.

Last year I lived in Haringey (zone 2/3), which is considered one of the dodgier areas of London, and I paid £500/month for a house I shared with five other people. I didn't think that was expensive for where it was, but it's certainly a lot more than you would expect to pay in other parts of the country.

Obviously if you go much further out the rent is much, much cheaper compared to if you live in central or in fancy places like Highgate, Hampstead/Primrose Hill, Chelsea etc

Yeah i’m from Northumberland and you can rent a three bedroom house for £500pm, by yourself, in a decent area. Even thinking about how much London costs gives me anxiety. :rofl:
Reply 38
Original post by WiSi
Florence, city that I know very well, is the same, but do not have London companies.

See my edit to the post you quoted.

I'm not sure what your trying to say... there are some "cheap" rentals in London that are typically in poor quality housing, located in less good areas, and may be a small bedroom in a shared house. If you want a penthouse flat in a central location you *will* be paying a lot more.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

And generally you get what you pay ... if the price is "cheap" then I guarantee the property will be "cheap"" for a reason.
@WiSi no one is trying to say you shouldn’t come to London, just that you need to be realistic about how much it costs! Looking to pay £400pm or saying “London rent isn’t expensive” is denial or misinformation. If you think you’ll have better job prospects here then of course you should look into it, but look into the reality and not the dream.

People are trying to help and letting you know from first hand experience what it’s like, you should listen to them.

Quick Reply

Latest