The Student Room Group

History or Geography GCSE?

I am choosing my options next week and I don't know whether to do Geography or History? Any advice?
Original post by cheskylaine
I am choosing my options next week and I don't know whether to do Geography or History? Any advice?

Honestly just go for which one you enjoy more and/or are better at (or even choose both if you want to and your school allows it).

The subject choice at GCSE has very little ramifications for any later applications. If you want to consider doing either of these for a-level though, you should take them at GCSE so you can make an informed choice at a-level.
Reply 2
Whichever you find more interesting or enjoyable. History is more essay based, whereas in geography they're generally looking for more specific answers. If you're a mathsy person I'd recommend geography, if you're an Englishy person I'd recommend history
Geography is a little more 'sciencey' whereas I would say that History is a pure humanity. Choose which ever is your favorite!
Reply 4
Geography all the way
Reply 5
Well personally I do both, so really.. you can pick whatever you prefer more, and if you like both well then just pick both, if your school allows it that is
Reply 6
I chose and got both
Reply 7
I chose Geography because I only liked one topic from the History course
Reply 8
Original post by gurlll
Geography all the way
Okay thanks!!
Reply 9
Original post by TheGuy264
Honestly just go for which one you enjoy more and/or are better at (or even choose both if you want to and your school allows it).

The subject choice at GCSE has very little ramifications for any later applications. If you want to consider doing either of these for a-level though, you should take them at GCSE so you can make an informed choice at a-level.
Okay thank you !!
Original post by flabi
Whichever you find more interesting or enjoyable. History is more essay based, whereas in geography they're generally looking for more specific answers. If you're a mathsy person I'd recommend geography, if you're an Englishy person I'd recommend history
Okay thank you!
Original post by cloud_watcher
Geography is a little more 'sciencey' whereas I would say that History is a pure humanity. Choose which ever is your favorite!
Thanks!
Original post by Skittyy
Well personally I do both, so really.. you can pick whatever you prefer more, and if you like both well then just pick both, if your school allows it that is
Alright, thank you !
Original post by WillPhillips
I chose and got both
Alright, thanks
go for the one you most enjoy and are good at, personally, I would pick Geography, sadly I can't cause I don't have enough choices but the curriculum for our Geog GCSE looks good (with our board, I'm not sure what curriculum u have) also look at the curriculum and if you don't like it, don't take it.
I do both, personally prefer history as it is alot more interesting. Geography is easy, but its boring and history is difficult but very interesting. Both are equally respected so do whichever one you prefer

Quick Reply

Latest