The Student Room Group

TSR can you help me get out of my social awkwardness?

Don't say "just be yourself". I believe I am like this because of habits I have built up over the years.

I like talking, its just that I either make a fool of myself and get laughed at or I don't know what to say.

Also this is why I think I am socially awkward....:

1.) Often I would talk and when I don't know what to say I end up laughing which = awkward I guess.

2.) I have improved my eye contact, especially when its someone talking to me. Although, in spontaneous conversations I probably end up looking into space like all over the place.

3.) People see me as awkward. Honestly, I never used to see myself as awkward. Except someone once said to me "everything about you is awkward", also someone told me "you are the most socially awkward guy I know". Tbh im not too fussed about girls but a girl once said I am "cute in an awkward way". I definitely know people dont see me as confident which is weird because I always used to think of myself as confident.

So how can I change?

I have been trying lol but I want to try harder. I have a charismatic smile which works for me, I am good at flattery (but not to the extent of sucking up).

I have even brought a self help book on how to build self confidence.

Scroll to see replies

Who are the people you surround yourself around? Are they the same like you? Or much different in personality
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Who are the people you surround yourself around? Are they the same like you? Or much different in personality

I go to sixth form, I am friends with about 75% of my year group and I am well known. I share common interests with my friends, tbh not identical in personality, but not different.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I go to sixth form, I am friends with about 75% of my year group and I am well known. I share common interests with my friends, tbh not identical in personality, but not different.

What were you like in Secondary? The same as now or much different? And by 'awkward' is it when you are around certain people or random?
Reply 4
TSR is probably the worst place to ask for advice on how to not be socially awkward. :giggle:
What were you like in Secondary? The same as now or much different? And by 'awkward' is it when you are around certain people or random?

Hmm many years ago, definitely much worse than I am now. If that even makes sense
give me an example of something you do that might be considered socially awkward.
ohhhh ****! that`s me
Original post by rickyrossman
give me an example of something you do that might be considered socially awkward.

Speaking not knowing what to say so awkward laughing
Hmm many years ago, definitely much worse than I am now. If that even makes sense

What triggered the 'awkwardness'? If you don't mind me asking
What triggered the 'awkwardness'? If you don't mind me asking

I don't know :redface:
Speaking not knowing what to say so awkward laughing

But what are you supposed to say if you legitimately don't know? I could talk to most people about artificial neural networks in reinforcement learning and most wouldn't know what to say. I wouldn't say it makes them socially awkward, if anything that would make me look socially awkward. Sort of like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
Oh man, this is so me. I get what u mean. I'd say for me its being more bold- posture, tone and interaction with people (eyes.. )

Try to be confident in urself ( such a hypocrite lol dishing out what I cant deal with myself haha) - like u say something and there's no response/ not the one you expected: just be show no reaction. Also I think having some ego/ feel worthy might be good since u think high of urself you can say whatever u want.

I suppose this is quite hard to actually put in words, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Gl
Also, another thing I'd like to mention: If you have bad posture, dress awkwardly and out of shape people will assume you are socially awkward before you speak. So they won't really give you much of a chance to show your savvyness. This usually means one-word responses/short conversations/lots of awkward silences. Its sort of like guilty until proven innocent except its very hard to prove yourself innocent in this case.
Also, another thing I'd like to mention: If you have bad posture, dress awkwardly and out of shape people will assume you are socially awkward before you speak. So they won't really give you much of a chance to show your savvyness. This usually means one-word responses/short conversations/lots of awkward silences. Its sort of like guilty until proven innocent except its very hard to prove yourself innocent in this case.

I go to the gym and I try to stand upright chin up :smile: so posture =no problemo. Sometimes I feel like I am the one giving short answers and awkward silences
I go to the gym and I try to stand upright chin up :smile: so posture =no problemo. Sometimes I feel like I am the one giving short answers and awkward silences

Is it when you're making small talk you sometimes give short answers or have nothing to say? Or is it with deep conversations?
Is it when you're making small talk you sometimes give short answers or have nothing to say? Or is it with deep conversations?

Small talk :smile:
Small talk :smile:

Are they sometimes like this?

Assuming its after a work break or the uni summer vacation:

You: "Hey man, how was your holiday?"
Me: "It was good, you?"
You: "Good."
End of conversation
Are they sometimes like this?

Assuming its after a work break or the uni summer vacation:

You: "Hey man, how was your holiday?"
Me: "It was good, you?"
You: "Good."
End of conversation

Sometimes yeah, but often I bring in more to the conversation. Like humour, talking about things that are of interest to the person or asking them aboutthemselves
Don't say "just be yourself". I believe I am like this because of habits I have built up over the years.

I like talking, its just that I either make a fool of myself and get laughed at or I don't know what to say.

Also this is why I think I am socially awkward....:

1.) Often I would talk and when I don't know what to say I end up laughing which = awkward I guess.

2.) I have improved my eye contact, especially when its someone talking to me. Although, in spontaneous conversations I probably end up looking into space like all over the place.

3.) People see me as awkward. Honestly, I never used to see myself as awkward. Except someone once said to me "everything about you is awkward", also someone told me "you are the most socially awkward guy I know". Tbh im not too fussed about girls but a girl once said I am "cute in an awkward way". I definitely know people dont see me as confident which is weird because I always used to think of myself as confident.

So how can I change?

I have been trying lol but I want to try harder. I have a charismatic smile which works for me, I am good at flattery (but not to the extent of sucking up).

I have even brought a self help book on how to build self confidence.

Not really.

Quick Reply

Latest