The Student Room Group

Red weather warning issued for Scotland

First ever time Scotland has had such a warning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43222960

The red weather alert means that "risk to life is likely".

What's the snow like where you are? Are you in Scotland? Has your uni / school been cancelled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
First ever time Scotland has had such a warning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43222960

Yup, and it's right over the Edinburgh Glasgow industrial belt.

Up to 40cm of lying snow expected. :eek:

Which means significantly deeper drifting in the accompanying winds.

Still, the positioning of the track can shift so anywhere around that red region should be prepared. I wonder how many eejits will ignore and get stuck on the motorways and clog up the arterial routes?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

@Airmed don't die pls
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
@Airmed don't die pls

It's pretty bad here, ngl. So bloody cold and snowing on and off.
Reply 5

What's the snow like where you are? Are you in Scotland? Has your uni / school been cancelled?

Does do not travel unless necessary ever work? No ***** always travel regardless as they think they know better. So happy to see the ***** in queues of traffic stuck for hours & hours. Serves them right.
Original post by Airmed

Stay safe and warm please! :hugs:
Original post by Airmed

Oh no Airmed make sure you're safe, wrap up warm and Look after yourself. :snow::snowman:

We're hoping for a snow-day at TSR HQ tomo!
Reply 8
Stay safe and warm please! :hugs:

Original post by Danny Dorito
Oh no Airmed make sure you're safe, wrap up warm and Look after yourself. :snow::snowman:

We're hoping for a snow-day at TSR HQ tomo!

I'm in the uni library so far. Will be careful going home, and I won't be alone, will have my partner with me. :yep:

:jumphug:
I live right next to a secondary school and never seen it so quiet on a weekday. Roads are white, no footprints in the snow, nothing! Gritters haven't even attempted to come out. :tongue:

I study at UWS Paisley campus and they sent out a mass text to us all at 8am this morning confirming all Scottish campuses are closed. They're going to update this afternoon on if it'll open tomorrow. Usually they announce on the day if they're closed so this is a first!

My friend works in the nursery at Glasgow Caledonian and said they were closed by 8:15am and have already confirmed closure tomorrow.

What happened to Scotland not getting it too bad? :lol:

EDIT: turns out it's been closed already!

(edited 6 years ago)

I'm in the red zone and it's a white out :smile: Every local authority in the central belt has closed all schools and nurseries tomorrow already, and most pupils were off (or at least sent home early) today too.

There's lots of disruption to travel, with planes, buses, ferries and trains cancelled, and lots of roads impassible. There have been videos online of people in streets and parks in Glasgow on skis/snowboarding! :lol:
(edited 6 years ago)

Aye.

Heavy snow in wee Edinburgh and the wee Lothians. The University of Edinburgh closed at 1pm today due to the RED warning and the local supermarket seems to be running out of things like bread etc.

Very slow moving traffic.
I hope this happens in London too
Nowhere near Scotland, but when I was out this morning, there were cars literally stranded on dual carriageway which really surprised me. Also sat behind a van for 5 minutes watching his tyres spin like crazy! xD

Love driving in snow to be honest, but probably just down to having experience so excepting others on the road, know I'm fairly safe out there!
I'm in Glasgow and it's TERRIBLE. Such deep snow. My work sent us home at like 1.30 as trains and buses were said to be stopping at 2. Glad I left when I did as it turned out to be the last train for the day heading to mine. All trains and buses withdrawn until 10am tomorrow they're saying atm.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I'm in Glasgow and it's TERRIBLE. Such deep snow. My work sent us home at like 1.30 as trains and buses were said to be stopping at 2. Glad I left when I did as it turned out to be the last train for the day heading to mine. All trains and buses withdrawn until 10am tomorrow they're saying atm.

Well you get some days off :tongue:
It's alright here (Edinburgh), but seeing as I haven't been outside after 3pm that may have changed. I walked home at 3 and the wind was quite strong but it didn't seem like a red warning. My school was still on :angry: but we got let out early
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well you get some days off :tongue:

Haha nope. My office won't shut and can't work from home. Have to try and get in so I'll be paid. At least I get a slight lie in as I'll not be able to get a train till nearly 11am (if at all). Hopefully the weather is terrible so I can head home early again tho.
3-4 Inches in some parts of The Meadows in Edinburgh right now, up on Arthur's Seat there are some places with 10 inches, or even up to the knee.

Definitely a risk to life if you're trying to climb up there... not that I was, noooo
Glasgow's got a lot but I went outside for an hour walk around tonight and didn't feel any more at risk of death than usual. Uni's shut tomorrow and everything looks really nice, i'm havin a good time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending