The Student Room Group

London rent isn't so expensive imho.

Scroll to see replies

ok ok bill gates we get it lol
Reply 41
Original post by Doonesbury
See my edit to the post you quoted.

I'm not sure what your trying to say... there are some "cheap" rentals in London that are typically in poor quality housing, located in less good areas, and may be a small bedroom in a shared house. If you want a penthouse flat in a central location you *will* be paying a lot more.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

And generally you get what you pay ... if the price is "cheap" then I guarantee the property will be "cheap"" for a reason.

I agre with these, but consider that we all start from 0 trying to arrive where we want.
I mean, for the beginning, almost any house that is not too cold is not that bad.
Reply 42
Original post by cat_mac
@WiSi no one is trying to say you shouldn’t come to London, just that you need to be realistic about how much it costs! Looking to pay £400pm or saying “London rent isn’t expensive” is denial or misinformation. If you think you’ll have better job prospects here then of course you should look into it, but look into the reality and not the dream.

People are trying to help and letting you know from first hand experience what it’s like, you should listen to them.

Obviously, I'm not criticizing anyone and I appreciate any contribution in this threads, from everyone.
I'm not pretending to know how things are, better then who lives there.
I'm just comparing London to other expensive city of my country, live Milan, where for 450 euros you get a single bed, and if you consider that salary are lower then in London, the rent became more expensive.
Original post by WiSi
So only people that born in London live in London.

Stop being too literal.
Original post by WiSi
In my opinion 1000£ per month is a good price.
There are good houses were you are suppose to spend just 250 £ per week.
In Florence there are people that pay more.

If you have a high end job you might not feel it much. Otherwise its a hole burnt in your pocket for £1000 a month. London is very expensive place to reside in.. though it is a massive tourist attraction which means that more international individuals would not mind renting out depending on their budget.

However it is still expensive compared to other places.
As someone who lives in London housing is a BIG problem here, buying a house is out of reach for your average person and rents are also quite expensive hence many people tend to live in shared houses for a cheaper price, I honestly see nothing special about living in London unless you are a tourist which I am not.
@WiSi Of course not only people that were born in London live in London. A large amount of London's population is comprised of young Europeans like yourself, hoping to find fortune in London, they arrive after uni and stay a couple years then move away again. But you don't understand the UK. People rarely settle in London, because it's way too expensive, what little they get as a salary goes straight to rent and bills for sub par accommodation. Sure there are good jobs there. But there are also about 8.5 million people in greater London, that I personally don't believe you are capable of competing with. The UK doesn't just have jobs in London you know. We have other cities too.
Reply 47
Original post by WiSi
I agre with these, but consider that we all start from 0 trying to arrive where we want.
I mean, for the beginning, almost any house that is not too cold is not that bad.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Italy&city1=Milan&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=London
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 48

This comparison take in consideration also the most expensive houses, that for sure are more luxurious in the London then in Milan.
Reply 49
Original post by curtwire
@WiSi Of course not only people that were born in London live in London. A large amount of London's population is comprised of young Europeans like yourself, hoping to find fortune in London, they arrive after uni and stay a couple years then move away again. But you don't understand the UK. People rarely settle in London, because it's way too expensive, what little they get as a salary goes straight to rent and bills for sub par accommodation. Sure there are good jobs there. But there are also about 8.5 million people in greater London, that I personally don't believe you are capable of competing with. The UK doesn't just have jobs in London you know. We have other cities too.

Why I shouldn't be able to compete?
Reply 50
It's not expensive to me, but that's only because where I live at the moment is the same price basically. Perks of living in the best place to live.

For most outside of the Hampshire/Surrey area it's insane pricewise. But you have so much on your door step so it's expected and justified for the most part.
Reply 51
Original post by WiSi
This comparison take in consideration also the most expensive houses, that for sure are more luxurious in the London then in Milan.

Wut? It's comparing a range of properties.
1519850743343.jpg

And I'm quite sure there's some very expensive property in Milan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by 8472
It's not expensive to me, but that's only because where I live at the moment is the same price basically. Perks of living in the best place to live.

For most outside of the Hampshire/Surrey area it's insane pricewise. But you have so much on your door step so it's expected and justified for the most part.

Honest to be, what scares me most is the cultural shock.
Any house at that price is going to be in a rough-arsed area of London. Have fun getting robbed :biggrin:
Original post by Realitysreflexx
i shared a room, yes that means i slept in a room with another person.... in a house in zone 3 (outside of central london) in tottenham, for 670£ a month rent, through student accomodation......thats a ton of money!!!

most of my friends paid around 12,000 a year to get a solo apartment.

London is really expensive.

Not to mention even the tube costs tons, and if you live close enough to not have to use the tube you will end up being in an area with central london shopping prices.

At least in zone 3 i could shop at lidl for 50-60 £ a week.. double that bill in central london..

no matter what you need at least £1,600 to survive in london.

You might know this but do you know about the free railcard you get if have a student account with Santander?
Reply 55
Original post by The Big R"
You might know this but do you know about the free railcard you get if have a student account with Santander?

Santander is not a Spanish bank?
Reply 56
Original post by Doonesbury
Wut? It's comparing a range of properties.
1519850743343.jpg

And I'm quite sure there's some very expensive property in Milan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know man, maybe in London are a bit more expensive, but not more then 10%.
Look here in Milan https://www.uniplaces.com/accommodation/milan?open-registration=yes.
Original post by The Big R"

wouldnt apply to OP as he is european he wont get the same kind of credit offers like overdraft and those british student luxuries.

It was such a struggle to even open a bank account in London that i never did. Simply didnt have one until i moved to Nottingham..(im german)
You must be making a lot of money if you think it's not that expensive
Original post by WiSi
Santander is not a Spanish bank?

Yeah it took over a lot of british banks that failed about 10 years ago...

don't get me started...

---
also note that British housing is really small and overcrowded compared to most places in europe... and it just gets even worse in London TBH

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/10909403/British-homes-are-the-smallest-in-Europe-study-finds.html

Quick Reply

Latest