The Student Room Group

Should I change jobs?!

Have a dilemma. Wanted to apply for a job in a convenience store right next to my house but couldn’t as needed to be 18. Got another job at a chippy quite far away from my house but close to my boyfriend’s so I just stay at his when I’m working. Everything’s fine at my job and I’m enjoying it but now I’m 18 the other job says if I fill in an application they’ll Give me a job and I don’t know if I should take it or not.
If I take it I’ll never see my boyfriend and I might regret it and I have fun with colleagues in my current job.
The new job might be easier though as less hours but same pay, and it’s right next to my house. Idk what to do. So confused and don’t want to regret anything. Feel nervous about leaving my current job cause I’ll never see those people again and I’ll never see my boyfriend. Also. I’ll probably need to quit my job anyway once I go to uni in a few months but with this new job I could probably still be working there whilst at uni cause it’s closer.

My mum hates me working there as I have no time to study as I work from 3pm till 11.15pm but get home at like 12pm every Saturday and Sunday. The new job closes at 10pm so my shifts would probably be ending around there. Help!!!
Original post by megzz23
Have a dilemma. Wanted to apply for a job in a convenience store right next to my house but couldn’t as needed to be 18. Got another job at a chippy quite far away from my house but close to my boyfriend’s so I just stay at his when I’m working. Everything’s fine at my job and I’m enjoying it but now I’m 18 the other job says if I fill in an application they’ll Give me a job and I don’t know if I should take it or not.
If I take it I’ll never see my boyfriend and I might regret it and I have fun with colleagues in my current job.
The new job might be easier though as less hours but same pay, and it’s right next to my house. Idk what to do. So confused and don’t want to regret anything. Feel nervous about leaving my current job cause I’ll never see those people again and I’ll never see my boyfriend. Also. I’ll probably need to quit my job anyway once I go to uni in a few months but with this new job I could probably still be working there whilst at uni cause it’s closer.

My mum hates me working there as I have no time to study as I work from 3pm till 11.15pm but get home at like 12pm every Saturday and Sunday. The new job closes at 10pm so my shifts would probably be ending around there. Help!!!

Id apply for the new job.
Like you say, its right next to your house, its less hours for the same pay and you can possibly carry on working there whilst at uni.
You can still stay in touch with your current work colleagues, so its not like you wont see them ever again. And you can still make time to see your boyfriend as well.
Reply 2
And you'll gain new experience and gain more confidence doing new things! I'd say apply. You're only 18, so much of your life ahead of you so have a variety :smile: it'll work itself out.
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
Id apply for the new job.
Like you say, its right next to your house, its less hours for the same pay and you can possibly carry on working there whilst at uni.
You can still stay in touch with your current work colleagues, so its not like you wont see them ever again. And you can still make time to see your boyfriend as well.

Thank you! Yeah I think I might apply for the new job. I’ll just need to make time to see my boyfriend through the week. I’ll be making less money I think but oh well, it’ll be easier to travel as I couldn’t live any closer.
Reply 4
Original post by jsam0226
And you'll gain new experience and gain more confidence doing new things! I'd say apply. You're only 18, so much of your life ahead of you so have a variety :smile: it'll work itself out.

Thank you!! It’s just I’ve gotten comfortable In my new job and I’ve started to really like it. I would hate to move jobs and wish I hadn’t
I would look into applying for the new job. You say yourself you might need to quit when you go to uni, so having the new job would make it easier for you. You can always make time to see your boyfriend when you are both free, and as Emma says, you still stay friends with your old workmates. The new job sounds like less work and gives you more time for study, hobbies, etc.
Why won't you see your boyfriend/friend's? If you like them and they like you then you shouldn't have to be forced into contact with each other.
Reply 7
Original post by Student-95
Why won't you see your boyfriend/friend's? If you like them and they like you then you shouldn't have to be forced into contact with each other.

No time to see my boyfriend as I have school all week and he has uni all week, then we both have work all weekend. He also has work a few times a week. Won’t see my “friends” cause they’re not that good friends- just people I chat to at work that I enjoy being around
Original post by megzz23
No time to see my boyfriend as I have school all week and he has uni all week, then we both have work all weekend. He also has work a few times a week. Won’t see my “friends” cause they’re not that good friends- just people I chat to at work that I enjoy being around

So see each other in the evenings.
Reply 9
So see each other in the evenings.

Difficult cause takes a while to travel to see each other and then we’d have to leave shortly after to eat back home
Original post by megzz23
Difficult cause takes a while to travel to see each other and then we’d have to leave shortly after to eat back home

Can't you eat at his?
Reply 11
Can't you eat at his?

That was meant to say “get back home.” I was trying to say after traveling there and spending a bit of time together we have to travel all the way back. Lot of hassle but it would be worth it. I just know he can never be bothered to do that stuff tho
Original post by megzz23
That was meant to say “get back home.” I was trying to say after traveling there and spending a bit of time together we have to travel all the way back. Lot of hassle but it would be worth it. I just know he can never be bothered to do that stuff tho

Can't be bothered to open the door and let you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending