The Student Room Group

Can't seem to solve this

IMG_0635.jpg

Just can't seem to solve it.

I flip the second fraction so it becomes 2/11 X 10/3 but it then starts to get silly where it ends up being 6/33 X 110/33 which together is 660/1089 and this is where I get stuck.

This is mean't to be Key Stage 3 stuff yet I'm struggling with this, feel pathetic about this considering I'm a mid 20 year old.
Reply 1
Original post by anon6789
IMG_0635.jpg

Just can't seem to solve it.

I flip the second fraction so it becomes 2/11 X 10/3 but it then starts to get silly where it ends up being 6/33 X 110/33 which together is 660/1089 and this is where I get stuck.

This is mean't to be Key Stage 3 stuff yet I'm struggling with this, feel pathetic about this considering I'm a mid 20 year old.

When multiplying fractions you multiply the numerators together and multiply the denominators together. You seem to be confusing this with adding/subtracting fractions, where you have to make a common denominator.

Are you retaking GCSE maths?
(2 / 11) / (3 / 10) = (2 / 11) * (10 / 3) = (2 * 10) / (11 * 3) = final answer
(edited 6 years ago)
You’re along the right lines but when you multiply you get 20 / 33

Remember that all you do is multiply the numerators together and the denominators together

Hth
Reply 4
Original post by JustVladon
(2 / 11) / (3 / 10) = (2 / 11) * (10 / 3) = (2 * 10) / (11 * 3) = 20 / 33

lol.

Hi, full solutions are against the guidelines of the maths forum. Please offer hints instead.
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
When multiplying fractions you multiply the numerators together and multiply the denominators together. You seem to be confusing this with adding/subtracting fractions, where you have to make a common denominator.

Are you retaking GCSE maths?

Ah I see now that makes more sense.

I'm in higher tier maths but I'm going back to the basics as I screwed up some more advanced maths, good thing I did otherwise I'd be screwed for June
Reply 6
Original post by anon6789

I'm in higher tier maths but I'm going back to the basics as I screwed up some more advanced maths, good thing I did otherwise I'd be screwed for June

That sounds like a good idea. If you ever have questions please continue to create threads in the maths forum. It's best to make sure you fully understand every topic.
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
That sounds like a good idea. If you ever have questions please continue to create threads in the maths forum. It's best to make sure you fully understand every topic.

Ok will do thanks again everyone
flip one of the fractions and * them together numerator*numerator and denominator*denominator.

Quick Reply

Latest