The Student Room Group

Is Alcohol a real problem in Uk or just a stupid stereotype?

Many people told me that in the UK lots of teens but also adults use to drink a lot, till they collapse, and lose senses, in pubs.

It is true?

Thanks
WiSi.

Scroll to see replies

idk about down south but definetly up North 😂 we take pride in it
Reply 2
Alcohol isn't the problem. Criminals who get drunk are the problem.
Reply 3
Original post by Reue

Alcohol can ruin also health.
Alcohol consumption has been falling for more than 10 years but hospital admissions are up. So there seems to be a minority of people trying their hardest to buck the trend by getting rat arsed too often.
Reply 5
Original post by WiSi
Alcohol can ruin also health.

So can football injuries.
Reply 6
It is a huge problem here. There are roughly 6000 deaths a year due to alcohol related problems, and it is a huge strain on the NHS. I think the whole culture here is a bit too focused around drinking.
i have stopped drinking, from a time of drinking heavily(7-10 times a month)....do i feel better yes, do i miss drinking yes....the fact that many people have these same feelings urges and confusion shows that yes alchohol is an issue in europe in general not just the UK. Further its attributed to so many social events....im not sure how europe would function without it.
Reply 8
Original post by Trapz99
It is a huge problem here. There are roughly 6000 deaths a year due to alcohol related problems, and it is a huge strain on the NHS. I think the whole culture here is a bit too focused around drinking.

Can be because of the weather ?
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
So can football injuries.

Alcohol is a much bigger issue.
Alcohol is a real problem everywhere.
Original post by WiSi
Many people told me that in the UK lots of teens but also adults use to drink a lot, till they collapse, and lose senses, in pubs.

It is true?

Thanks
WiSi.

Just look at the statistics and programs about A&E and Hospitals. Their time is majorly taken up having to deal with drunken idiots - yes, it is a problem not jsut factually for various reasons.
It's definitely a problem when it diverts healthcare resources from potential high-risk patients. It's a problem when emergency services, security, and police resources are diverted to alcohol-related incidents. They're not only putting themselves at risk, but others too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
What is the main cause of the problem?
Why alcohol is so popular in the British culture?
The issue is the way we drink. There’s a huge culture of binge drinking, if you go out it’s almost a competition of who can get in the worst state and do the stupidest things. Me and my friend took two french girls who were over for the year at uni on a night out, they were appalled to see people staggering around drunk at 9pm. I don’t think either of them were comfortable in clubs with the way people were acting.

From what I understand, other countries drink more casually. Go out for a few then go home, while brits drink until blackout and stay out until the early hours of the morning. Of course there are those who don’t like to drink, and as we get older it’s less frequent to binge drink every weekend. But there’s never a shortage of drunk idiots in the streets.
A big problem we have around here where I live is chavs (basically the Uk's version of the wigger but 100% more... mentally deficient) attacking tipsy ,or s***faced if they're particularly cowardly, lads for fun.

The drinking itself isn't always the problem, most of us know when we've had enough and look after each other when we don't.
Reply 16
Many teenagers drink, most people from the age of 14/15 up will go to parties and get drunk. Obviously there are some people who stay sober or drink small amounts, but I think it is probably quite damaging for the health of the teenagers
Reply 17
People drink to get paraletic, and that is the problem.

How many meffs have we all seen bleating on about how they don't even like the ale they are supping but do it anyway to get ****ed?
Original post by gjd800
People drink to get paraletic, and that is the problem.

How many meffs have we all seen bleating on about how they don't even like the ale they are supping but do it anyway to get ****ed?

basically this. The only good thing that comes from this is that during the weekends, the pigeons get to feast on freshly turnt-up chunder, ranging from lovely chunks of scoffed kebab to chippy, and getting drunk on that soaked up alcohol that these lads couldn't keep down.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reue

nah drink can make the sanest person go mental and become a criminal, I think

To answer OP yea it's a bad problem here because of the legal drinking age and the pub culture which is 16-17 yr olds can get beer and wine and cider under certain conditions rather easy to fulfill, like an 18+ "chaperone" such as a 19yr old mate, partner, or sibling :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending