The Student Room Group

Is the content of the Qur'an the same as the Bible?

I've been doing a bit of research on the Abraham religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam and have found out that the 'Old Testament' is the same in content/the stories as the 'Hebrew Bible', the difference being the order. Muslims have even called the 'Old Testament' the 'Torah'.
I was wondering if the same goes for the Qur'an. Is the content/stories is the Qur'an the same as in the Bible just with slight differences such as names (e.g. Abel being Habil) or are they completely different? What I mean by different is not the beliefs that come from the stories such as the flood being global or local but the stories being completely different themselves. If so which stories are the same and which are completely different? And which stories are in the Qur'an that are not in the Bible, and which are in the Bible but not the Qur'an?
Original post by PearlGirl26
I've been doing a bit of research on the Abraham religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam and have found out that the 'Old Testament' is the same in content/the stories as the 'Hebrew Bible', the difference being the order. Muslims have even called the 'Old Testament' the 'Torah'.
I was wondering if the same goes for the Qur'an. Is the content/stories is the Qur'an the same as in the Bible just with slight differences such as names (e.g. Abel being Habil) or are they completely different? What I mean by different is not the beliefs that come from the stories such as the flood being global or local but the stories being completely different themselves. If so which stories are the same and which are completely different? And which stories are in the Qur'an that are not in the Bible, and which are in the Bible but not the Qur'an?

I know this thread is old by 7 months but it will still benefit someone.

A short response to your curiosity, is no the Holy Quraan is not the same as the bible.

This is because as established, the Bible has two versions, the old testament and the new testament. Whereas the Holy Quraan has one original version of which has never been altered.

Alongside this you mentioned the names. That is the names that are given but in Arabic. So Moses would be Hadhrat Musa(AS) Jesus would be Hadhrat Esa(AS) David woul be Hadhrat Dawood(AS) and so forth.
Reply 2
Original post by MiszshorTea786
I know this thread is old by 7 months but it will still benefit someone.

A short response to your curiosity, is no the Holy Quraan is not the same as the bible.

This is because as established, the Bible has two versions, the old testament and the new testament. Whereas the Holy Quraan has one original version of which has never been altered.

Alongside this you mentioned the names. That is the names that are given but in Arabic. So Moses would be Hadhrat Musa(AS) Jesus would be Hadhrat Esa(AS) David woul be Hadhrat Dawood(AS) and so forth.

What does 'hadhrat' mean? (I hope you don't mind me asking!)
Reply 3
Do they have similar stuff in them then? I mean the original bible from revelation and the Quran?
this is a powder keg topic lol.
Original post by gjd800

Hadhrat is a respectable title mainly originated from Arabic.
Reply 6
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Hadhrat is a respectable title mainly originated from Arabic.

I wondered if it was an honorific. Thanks!
Original post by gjd800

Hadrat or Hadhrat is an honorific Arabic title used to honour a person. The literal translation of Hadrah is "Presence". In usage it carries denotations of the charismatic and is comparable to traditional Western honorifics addressing high officials, such as "Your Honour" (for judges), "His Majesty" (for royalty), or "His Holiness".

The Holy Bible was completed by about 200 AD. The Koran is a later work.
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
Hadrat or Hadhrat is an honorific Arabic title used to honour a person. The literal translation of Hadrah is "Presence". In usage it carries denotations of the charismatic and is comparable to traditional Western honorifics addressing high officials, such as "Your Honour" (for judges), "His Majesty" (for royalty), or "His Holiness".

I thought it must be - cheers for the specifics, appreciated.
Original post by gjd800
I thought it must be - cheers for the specifics, appreciated.

:hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending