The Student Room Group

Is Alcohol a real problem in Uk or just a stupid stereotype?

Scroll to see replies

In terms of amount of drinkers we're probs no worse than the rest of europe, but lots of people (students especially like to try) will drink a lot in one sitting.
Reply 21
Original post by cat_mac
The issue is the way we drink. There’s a huge culture of binge drinking, if you go out it’s almost a competition of who can get in the worst state and do the stupidest things. Me and my friend took two french girls who were over for the year at uni on a night out, they were appalled to see people staggering around drunk at 9pm. I don’t think either of them were comfortable in clubs with the way people were acting.

From what I understand, other countries drink more casually. Go out for a few then go home, while brits drink until blackout and stay out until the early hours of the morning. Of course there are those who don’t like to drink, and as we get older it’s less frequent to binge drink every weekend. But there’s never a shortage of drunk idiots in the streets.

Is this happening only during weekend ?
Or there are people that usually get drunk all the day?
I mean, if they do so, how can they work?
I found on internet this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046884/Binge-drinking-Why-intelligent-women-drink-oblivion-night.html.
Reply 22
Original post by Retired_Messiah
In terms of amount of drinkers we're probs no worse than the rest of europe, but lots of people (students especially like to try) will drink a lot in one sitting.

I partecipate to party students in my country, I can tell you that the times I went there, lots of people of my age get drunk, also people that have 17-18 years old.
The first thing they want to see is the wine, even before the food, so the alcohol can more easily enter into the blood.

I don't know if those guys when they get older they will continue with the same lifestyle.
Anyway, what I can tell you is that I never seen people drunk on the street, they prefer to get drunk only during parties or at the disco.
Reply 23
Original post by WiSi
Is this happening only during weekend ?
Or there are people that usually get drunk all the day?
I mean, if they do so, how can they work?
I found on internet this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046884/Binge-drinking-Why-intelligent-women-drink-oblivion-night.html.

Generally of a weekend, but we do of course have full-time alcoholics, too.
wow, bet you guys are fun at parties...
Binge drinking is a huge problem in this country that a lot of other countries, particularly in Europe, just don't have. And it's just become too acceptable to go out and get completely wasted and do moronic things. Just look at the reaction people get when they say they don't drink and that will show you what our country is like.
Seeing as pretty much every European tourist destination loathes British tourists exclusively due to their propensity to get unreasonably drunk and ruin everything they come in contact with, it seems to suggest there is something there :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by Hadders94
wow, bet you guys are fun at parties...

In Italy apparente is very important.
For this reason people prefer to get drunk at parties where they are together so no one, except themselves, sees them.
In public ( on the streets) they do not want to appear drunk.

Another reason is that cities are relatively small, so is easy to be seen by someone else that can report you to our parents.
British people are ridiculous when it comes to alcohol. It was always pathetic to be walking home at night and seeing full grown adults on a weekday staggering about and dancing like they didn't get arthritis 15 years ago when they probably have kids at home being neglected. I was an idiot though and thought England was mostly full of sophisticated people lik they always pretend to be on TV but naaaah they're mostly drunks
Original post by Reue
So can football injuries.

If you want to kill yourself than carry on it will kill you in the end yes I am anti alcohol I think it's pointless what's the point in getting so hammered that you're causing problems for the police or sleeping with someone's girlfriend

1. The police shouldn't have to look after you like a baby
2. That's someone's relationship you have ruined because of YOUR!! Stupid actions.
I'm 17 and drink occasionally but I'm afraid there are teens/adults who regularly drink and get hammered, yes.
Reply 32
It depends if you see alcohol as a problem in general... when I go out to clubs/pubs and everyone is drunk, there's a couple rowdy people that take it too far but most people just enjoy themselves.
Alcohol has been around for thousands of years and we are still around aren't we.

Would love to see someone try and ban it in the UK, there would be riots.
Reply 34
Original post by Tropiceratops
If you want to kill yourself than carry on it will kill you in the end

I'd rather have such enjoyment in my life and accept a slightly shorter lifespan.

Original post by Tropiceratops

what's the point in getting so hammered that you're causing problems for the police or sleeping with someone's girlfriend

1. The police shouldn't have to look after you like a baby
2. That's someone's relationship you have ruined because of YOUR!! Stupid actions.

I've not yet done any of those, thanks.
Reply 35
Original post by WiSi
Many people told me that in the UK lots of teens but also adults use to drink a lot, till they collapse, and lose senses, in pubs.

It is true?

Thanks
WiSi.

There's definitely a heavy drinking culture! Whether it's a problem or not depends on how you feel about alcohol
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending