The Student Room Group

Dating Advice

I recently got asked out by a boy from school - I said that I was busy due to school work but maybe we could reorganise?
I am worried about the whole dating scene mainly because I am rather inexperienced in this sort of thing, and I also worry unnecessarily.
1. Firstly, I want to get to know the guy better before we date, otherwise it is just awkward. Is this okay?
2. Are first dates awkward? I worry about everything - where to go, what to do etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by emmadavison
I recently got asked out by a boy from school - I said that I was busy due to school work but maybe we could reorganise?
I am worried about the whole dating scene mainly because I am rather inexperienced in this sort of thing, and I also worry unnecessarily.
1. Firstly, I want to get to know the guy better before we date, otherwise it is just awkward. Is this okay?
2. Are first dates awkward? I worry about everything - where to go, what to do etc.

Just ask him questions, get talking, get to know him better, then ask him out later if it feels right.

Yes, they are awkward, but to have a second, less awkward one you need a first.
Original post by emmadavison

Regarding the first point it depends on the individual. Some people prefer to start as friends and then try out dating, others don't mind using the first date to get to know the other person. Either way, no harm going on one date. Even if it goes badly, the worst that can happen is that there won't be a second date - no harm, no foul.
Reply 3
Original post by Cowtheduck
Regarding the first point it depends on the individual. Some people prefer to start as friends and then try out dating, others don't mind using the first date to get to know the other person. Either way, no harm going on one date. Even if it goes badly, the worst that can happen is that there won't be a second date - no harm, no foul.

I just get worried that if it doesn't go great then it is going to be awkward at school to and it will be awkward within the friendship group as one of my best mates is also best mates with the boy who asked me out??
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Just ask him questions, get talking, get to know him better, then ask him out later if it feels right.

Yes, they are awkward, but to have a second, less awkward one you need a first.

Thanks for the advice x
hi, sounds like a problem many girls go through aha. to make it seem easier for you, id get to know him better first before making big decisions. surely, he’ll understand and you both could perhaps meet up and both take part in activities and talk about anything you want? personally, i’d meet up with a few friends and that boy too and get to know him that way as it’ll show how his actions towards you in front of others. don’t worry about it too much though. let me know what happens :wink:
Reply 6
Firstly, I want to get to know the guy better before we date, otherwise it is just awkward. Is this okay?

1/ Getting to know the guy better before you date is a good step. Maybe arrange to video chat with him before meeting, ask him questions he wouldn't dare ask you (for example: favourite chocolate, meal, what wine he likes, favourite attraction).

2/ First dates can be a little awkward, but if you have questions prepared beforehand, or some form of plan, then the nerves will disappear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending